Chapter Twenty Four

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Irene!" someone exclaimed. Irene was silent with her hands holding the archery equipment, so she didn't hear her best friend Joy call her name. Joy noticed that Irene didn't hear her, so she sighed. She tried to be the best friend she could, and was saddened with what happened to Irene after Donghae broke up with her. "Irene!" Joy said in a cute voice as she hugged Irene from behind.

"Why are you always daydreaming?" Joy asked. Irene didn't realize that Joy was hugging her, so she jumped in surprise. She looked back and saw Joy's face extremely close to hers. Irene noticed that Joy was smiling strangely. "Why do you care so much?" Irene muttered as she pushed Joy’s forehead away from her’s. "You're so violent, has anybody called you that before?" Joy said while rubbing her forehead.

Irene could only grin and scratch her neck. "I don't wanna hear them say that anyway," she said. "So don't hit me then," Joy whispered in Irene's ear, making her laugh. "Don't whisper in my ear, my ear will explode," Irene said, making Joy scoff. "Your ear already exploded when we were in karaoke," Joy said and made Irene nod in agreement.

Joy noticed that Irene was cleaning up the archery equipment. She realized that Irene diligently practiced playing archery, it was a form of relief for her constant heartaches. Joy was staring at the arrows that hit the target, she shook her head a little bit when she looked at Irene. She knew that Irene was extremely talented at archery, she always practiced whenever she had the time.

Joy felt a little bit lonely because her best friend always refuses her invitations to go to the cafe or the music store. Irene finally finished cleaning up the equipment and assisted Joy to a bench and they rested there. Joy was silent for a few minutes, she was allowing Irene to drink her mineral water. Joy cautiously asked a question that might be a little bit of a sensitive topic for Irene.

The girl usually refrained from asking these types of questions when they were in class, but now she can't help but ask. "Donghae didn't come here again," she said. Irene just shook her head, she rose from her seat and threw her water bottle in the trash can. The girl pretended to ignore Joy's question because it still hurt.

"Are you okay?" Joy asked her. Irene turned around and looked at her with a faint smile. "I'm fine Joy," she said and nudged Joy's elbow. "Don't worry about me," she said. "How can I not worry about you Irene, I love you too much to not care," Joy said in a cute voice and hugged Irene's waist and the amused Irene pushed Joy away from her, making her pout.

"Don't pout, it's not cute on you," Irene said and Joy started hitting her shoulders lightly. "You're so annoying Irene! If I was an archer, then you will be my target," said Joy. Irene laughed and raised an eyebrow at Joy's statement. "You'll hit your own best friend! Joy, how could you?" Irene asked, trying to act offended. Joy giggled at the statement.

"No, I love you too much to do that," Joy said and hugged Irene, while Irene started to Joy's brunette locks. "I'm sad, I feel like I lost the old Irene," Joy said honestly. Irene didn't answer, but she knew that what her friend said was true. She has become extremely quiet and has been daydreaming a lot more than she usually does. Irene looked at Joy after she let go of her. She knew that Donghae had also changed a lot.

He used to be cheerful and outgoing, but now he became a mellow man who would always avoid the crowds, because he fears the gossip and rumors that might spread. "I'm sorry Joy," Irene confessed and smiled at her. "I'll return to my original self. I'm not going to stay like this because of a guy," she said. "Promise?" Joy asked, extending her pinky and Irene smiled and linked their pinkies together. "Promise," she repeated.

Irene knew that her family and friends were the most important people in her life. She shouldn't forget the people who have loved her and took care of her better than Donghae had. "Irene, I'll have to stay home so we can't hang out, because I got grounded," Joy complained with an annoyed tone, she was mad at her parents. "If you want, Yoona and I can abduct you to stay with us," Irene said while wiggling her eyebrows.

"I'm not going to do that! Imagine how much trouble I'll be in!" Joy almost yelled, immediately refusing Irene's request. "Relax, I wasn't going to actually do that," Irene mumbled. "What did you just say?" Joy said with an annoyed tone. "Nothing," said Irene, not making eye contact with her. "Tell me already!" Joy said as she shook Irene's body.

While the two girls were joking around with each other, another person was watching them from a distance. He was silently standing in the field, where he could see the girls, but they couldn't see him. Suddenly, Irene and Joy felt like someone was watching them, both of them stopped talking and looked around to see if anybody was there. 

"Irene, I'm going to go back to class. Pick me up at seven," Joy said and waved goodbye, when she noticed Donghae approach them. However, she didn't leave before kissing Irene's cheek. Irene immediately glared at the girl, but Joy hurried away while laughing at Irene's face. As Joy walked away, Irene picked up her bag and was about to leave but she heard someone walk towards her.

She already knew who that person was, without looking at him. "Are you going to return to archery?" Donghae asked after he was close to Irene. "Yeah," replied Irene without looking at him. She walked back to the field while carrying her archery equipment, ignoring Donghae who was following her from behind.

Ever since their break up, Irene had been extremely cold and distant towards him, and Donghae understood why she felt that way, he deserved it. He was aware that he was a jerk and that he was a selfish guy. He could say extremely sweet things at the hospital, and he could easily destroy everything in the courtyard. The two places have been witnesses of what Donghae has done and he hated it.

However, he knew that if Yoona wanted to stay with Jessica, she had to accept his presence, because nobody has what he has. He also knew that Irene thought of him the same way that Yoona does, they hate him with all their heart. "Why are you here?" Irene asked Donghae as she removed the arrow from her bag. "I wanted to be with you," Donghae said with a sweet smile. Unfortunately, Irene was no longer lulled by Donghae's words.

"Then why haven't you come here? It’s been a while," Irene responded in a monotone voice. Donghae's smile faded immediately. Over the last couple of days, he had been watching Irene from a distance. He didn't know how Irene would react, he missed her a lot. "Irene, can I tell you something?" Donghae asked. "What is it?" she asked after she hit the bull's eye with an arrow.

"Yoona has agreed to accept my presence," said Donghae, making her jaw drop. Irene didn't understand what happened. "What? How?" she said, as she lowered her arrow. "Yesterday, we had a chat and I said that she has to allow me to take care of Jessica if she wants to stay with her," Donghae explained. Donghae kept staring at Irene's widened eyes, he couldn't take his eyes off of hers. "And she accepted it," he slowly continued.

"Really? Yoona said that?" Irene exclaimed, she knew that her sister would never do such a thing. Yoona was a very logistic person, meaning that she was too realistic. She would put logic first and would decide things best on logic, even if it meant ignoring her heart. Irene couldn't help but wonder, why would her sister want to go through such a complicated relationship with Jessica? Does Yoona love Jessica that much?

"Irene," Donghae said because he noticed that she was zoning out. "Yes?" she asked her. "Can you do that?" he asked cautiously, making Irene's mouth open and eyes widen. "Do what?" she asked. "Can you not be like your sister? Can you accept Jessica's presence without feeling jealous or anything?" he asked her. Has Donghae gone crazy? Irene was wondering what was wrong with Donghae and wondering if he was in his right mind.

She still loves Donghae, but she was sane and wouldn't let her heart take over her senses. "Stupid," she mumbled to herself. "You're insane," Irene said, while shaking her head unwillingly. Donghae smiled weakly, he knew that he couldn't get back with Irene. "Yeah, I know it's crazy," he said, staring at the target. "If you knew the real reason, then you wouldn't feel that way," said Donghae.

"What is the real reason?" Irene asked with a challenging look. She looked at Donghae who was silent, and Irene felt disgusted with him. He couldn't even tell her the reason, she knew that it was just an excuse to get back with her. "Just say it Donghae," she said with a bored look. Donghae could only smile faintly. "Yes you're right, I can't tell you the real reason.

All I can tell you is that I have no romantic feelings towards Jessica at all," he said. Irene was hesitant to stare into Donghae's eyes and ended up looking away from Donghae's brown eyes. She is confused if the guy was telling her the truth or not. Suddenly, Joy's message to her crossed her mind. Was Jessica doing the same thing that Donghae was doing to her? Was Jessica also playing with Yoona’s heart?

"Donghae, if Jessica and I fall into the abyss, who would you save first?" she immediately asked him. Donghae was silent for a while, he gulped. "Irene, I..," he was about to say but Irene cut him off. "It's easy, of course you'll save Jessica, because you know that I can save myself." she said. Donghae just stared at her sadly, and bowed his head before replying to Irene's words.

"Even though you're strong and can take care of yourself, it doesn't mean that I don't care about you," he said and sighed. "Yeah, I'm sorry for wasting your time and energy," Irene said and Donghae frowned. Suddenly, black clouds appeared and with a quiet thunder. Rain was definitely going to fall, Donghae hates the rain so much right now.

"I'm sorry, but we can't get bac

Please log in to read the full chapter