Chapter Thirty Two

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

The gurney creaked loudly, making Yoona's heart hurt instantly. She could only stare at the door while Jessica was taken to the emergency room. One middle aged nurse went over to Yoona while holding a pen and paper. "Sorry miss, what's the name of the patient?" the woman asked. "Jessica Jung," Yoona replied. The nurse worriedly stared at the girl because her clothes and hands were stained with blood.

"Are you okay?" the nurse asked and Yoona shook her head with a frustrated look. "I'm fine, but please save my friend," Yoona begged and the nurse immediately nodded. The woman entered the treatment room and was talking to another doctor. "Jessica, Jessica, can you hear us!" they said. Yoona could hear the screams of the nurses while they were checking Jessica's consciousness.

Yoona immediately stared blankly through the glass door and saw Jessica enveloped by several nurses that were busy preparing the medical equipment. "Wait!" exclaimed a male nurse, making the others stop moving. The nurse took the necklace that Jessica was wearing, apparently it was a medical identification necklace and the nurse was shocked with what's written on it. 

"This girl has Christmas disease and her blood type is A negative," he said and the nurses were silent for a few moments. "She has hemophilia B and suffers a lot of blood loss," he said. "Call Doctor Choi!" another nurse explained. "No, she's Doctor Kim's patient, I've contacted him," the nurse who talked to Yoona said. "I got the medical record, she was treated here," she said.

"Then contact the blood bank immediately and say that we need A- blood," the ER doctor called out. A young nurse immediately moved out and Yoona could only stare in place. "Oh no! We're out of A- blood!" the young nurse said after contacting the blood bank. Yoona immediately felt her knees go limp, she didn't know very much about that blood type. It is very rare, especially in the Asian population.

The male nurse turned the pendulum of Jessica's necklace. "Kwon Yuri and Lee Donghae," he muttered. "They are blood donors, here are their numbers," he said. "Okay, let's call them," a female nurse offered. "Their numbers can't be contacted," he said, making the other nurses tense. "Wait," someone said. The door to the room was wide open and Yoona stood while the nurses questioningly. 

"Lee Donghae is on his way here," Yoona said while she felt her voice trembling. "I just called him. He'll be here soon," she said. She immediately felt that it was hard for her to breathe properly. "Is there anything I can do?" she asked them. "What is your blood type?" one of the male nurses asked. "I don't know," Yoona admitted. "Follow me," the male nurse said and left the room and Yoona followed. 

Her mind started wandering, she felt sorry that she didn't try to understand Jessica's condition. She should have known what Jessica had because she was no stranger to hemophilia. She should have known about Jessica's strange behavior, like when the girl couldn't eat anything hard in fear of injuring or when she fell because Solar accidentally nudged her face.

She also remembered when she found the back of Jessica's blackened hand or when Jessica's knee would suddenly bruise when they walked for too long. She should have realized Jessica’s condition, instead of trying to maintain her ego without trying to understand her first. Now, little by little, everything began to come together and Yoona felt even mor

Please log in to read the full chapter