Chapter Fourteen

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

After a couple of days, Donghae and Jessica had their own busy schedules, they were no longer always together. Jessica would spend most of her time with Yoona in the library, and Donghae would play archery with Irene in the softball field. Sometimes, Irene would allow Donghae to play archery, himself. Now, Donghae and Jessica rarely talked to each other, unless they were telling each other about their experiences.

Jessica would recall what Yoona would teach her and Donghae would excitedly say how fun archery was. The break bell rang loudly, making all of the students very happy because they can leave class. Donghae and Jessica were very excited, to say the least. In a hurry, Jessica cleared her books off the desk. "Yoongie, come on," Jessica said smiling, while Yoona looked at her flatly. "Where are you going?" Yoona said, pretending to not know.

"The library, where else would we go?" Jessica asked. "I don't want to," Yoona said, who laid her head on the table. Jessica pursed her lips and looked at the lazy Yoona. "Come on Yoongie, let's go!" Jessica said in a cute voice, while pulling Yoona's uniform. Yoona looked annoyed, but she was wondering how Jessica could be so adorable. "I'm going to go to the library by myself," Yoona said. Jessica's face darkened.

"Are you tired of teaching me?" Jessica asked in a sad voice. Yoona laughed at her cute action, amused. "Hmm... alright let's go," she said, making Jessica smile. Jessica pulled Yoona's hand, excited, making Yoona get up lazily. The children in the class looked at them in excitement and delight, even Donghae smiled at the two, and didn't mind following her from behind. Usually, Donghae would wait for her outside the library, but he is usually at the softball field.

Inside the library, Yoona followed Jessica to the bookshelf full of space encyclopedias, staring at her hand that Jessica was holding tightly. Over the last couple of days, Jessica had always been beside her, listening and learning to everything she would teach her. Yoona initially thought that Jessica was using her, but now she had been doing it willingly. She felt comfortable around the girl and was proud of being able to teach her.

"Yoongie, what should we learn today?" Jessica asked, jerking Yoona out of her reverie. "Do you want to learn space again, or do you want to read a history story?" she asked. Yoona looked around the bookshelf, still holding Jessica's hand. She had no idea what to teach the girl, but she wanted to teach her as much as she possibly can. Feeling Jessica's fingers slipping from her's, Yoona turned her head to look at Jessica who was holding an encyclopedia already.

"Yoongie, I want to learn about this, you know about this right?" Jessica asked while showing her a book about the animal kingdom. "Umm... a little," Yoona answered, making Jessica smile brightly. "Good, what don't you know?" Jessica praised her, and sat on the floor. "Come on Yoongie, sit down," she said, patting the floor next to her. After sighing and controlling her embarrassment, Yoona sat on the floor next to her.

Yoona liked teaching the girl, she wanted her to get smarter and not look stupid in front of others. However, Yoona could admit that she was a little selfish for wanting to be the only one to teach Jessica. A few seconds later, Yoona scoffed, she was amused with her own thoughts. Why would she do that, why would she feel selfish for that? Why doesn't she want Jessica to look stupid, shouldn't she be happy when she sees a rich person who is ignorant and stupid?

"Are you okay?" Jessica asked a raised eyebrow, apparently, the girl had been watching her in silence. "Jessica, do you think that God is fair?" Yoona asked suddenly, making Jessica blink repeatedly. Jessica turned her gaze to the book, smiled, and nodded slightly. "Yeah, God created you and made you poor, but you are a genius," Jessica said.

"That's right and God made you rich but stupid!" Yoona said while poking Jessica's forehead softly. Jessica touched her forehead where Yoona poked and chuckled softly, not feeling offended at all. She knew what Yoona said was a fact. Meanwhile, Yoona was wondering why she poked her forehead, she usually never touched Jessica at all. Is she too comfortable with the girl?

"You know, before you I used to hate the poor," Jessica said, making Yoona look at her curiously. "It's all because of someone in the past," she said. "I'm not the biological child of the Jungs," she said. Yoona's eyes widened as soon as she heard Jessica's words, however Jessica kept her head down. "My real mother left me," she said in a quiet tone but loud enough for Yoona to hear it. Yoona gulped hard, she never knew that. For a few moments, she was silent.

Maybe she was smart, but knew nothing about Jessica Jung. She wasn't sure if she wanted to ask more, because she knew that the story would open Jessica's wounds that are better closed. "My biological mother left me after I was born, she said I wasn't worth the money," Jessica bit her lip, remembering her sore past. "Then what about your biological father? Did he leave you too?" Yoona asked, not understanding.

Jessica looked up at her with a light smile on her face and shook her head. "I don't have a biological father, my mother was a e," she said. Yoona tried to not open , but she failed. The honest story that came out of Jessica's mouth shocked her, to say the least. "My mom and dad told me this when I realized that we had nothing in common.

Even though they didn't want to, they finally told me after I kept pushing it. I wanted to hear the truth from them and from no one else," she said. "Slowly my dad explained everything to me. According to the hospital where I was born, my biological father wasn't from Seoul, he was just visiting at the time," she said. Yoona's heart hurt when Jessica continued her story.

"He probably doesn't know that I'm alive," she said. Now Yoona knows why Jessica hated her on the first day of school. Jessica only knew one type of poor person, and that was her biological mother who left her after she was born. Yoona became sad, she knew how painful it must have been for Jessica. Her first instinct was

Please log in to read the full chapter