Chapter Thirty Nine

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Irene stared at the cabbage on the table. Today she wanted to make kimchi, but she accidentally knocked the chili powder container on the floor, now the floor was dirty. Irene sighed, she noticed the stain on the floor. For a moment, she thought of Donghae, he looked like a rich teenage boy who didn't have many problems. However, everything changed, everyone became more mature, maybe she just wasn't.

She intended to meet Jessica yesterday, but she accidentally saw Donghae and Jessica hugging while crying. The sight was really suffocating for her and Irene started to rethink her decision. She wasn't willing to be number two in this relationship, she felt awful when she saw Donghae and Jessica together. Amid her reverie, Irene heard a knock on the door.

Irene immediately stepped towards the door and opened. She gasped when she saw who was standing in front of her. "Hi Irene," Donghae said with a big smile. Irene hasn't seen that smile in a long time, the smile that made her heart skip a beat. "D-Donghae?" Irene said, she couldn't believe who she was seeing. "Can I come in?" Donghae asked, Irene immediately nodded and let him in. "Do you want something to drink?" she asked him.

"How about hot chocolate?" she asked. Irene was very nervous that Donghae was in her house, so she was stuttering a lot. She immediately hurried to the kitchen without waiting for Donghae's answer. After she saw what happened yesterday, she didn't know how to behave in front of Donghae. She had many things she wanted to say to Donghae, but she couldn't.

She poured the cocoa powder into the water, hot chocolate is delicious at this time of work. Actually, Irene brought hot chocolate in a thermos, but she didn't give it to him directly. She put the flask on the front bench of the room, because it was uncomfortable to disturb Jessica and Donghae hugging each other. Suddenly, she realized that the flask was beside her. Irene stared at the flash in surprise, suddenly Donghae hugged her from behind.

She couldn't breathe, her heart was beating extremely fast. "I’m sorry, I've been treating you badly this whole time," he said. Irene couldn't speak, she was nervous with their current position. "Now you don't have to worry about anything anymore," he said as he tightened his embrace. "Now, I'll only take care of you," said Donghae. "What about Jessica?" a confused Irene asked. "Jessica has let me go," he answered and Irene's eyes widened.

"She moved to Austria with her father, now she can live here more comfortably. She doesn't need me there," Donghae said. Irene turned around and looked at Donghae in disbelief. "Really?" she asked him and Donghae nodded. "Now you'll be my number one priority, I'll only be for you," he said. Irene should have felt happy, but she felt worried instead. "Are you okay with this?" she asked him.

"At first I was doubtful about it, I hated being away from Jessica, she's like my sister. However, when I thought about it again, I believe that this is the best for the both of us," Donghae said as he looked at Irene's hands and held them tightly. "And also for us," he continued. For a few moments, Irene could only stare at Donghae, searching for the truth through his eyes. Irene wants to believe it, but Donghae's words are too hard to believe. Donghae felt that this was the right thing to do. 

The girl he truly loved was Irene, no one else. "You can trust me now," he said he smiled with one hand raised, softly Irene's head. "I'm yours," he said. Irene scoffed, she should be happy, but she was very surprised with the words that came out of Donghae's mouth. After all that ha

Please log in to read the full chapter