Chapter Twenty One

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Donghae didn't know where he was headed, he was just going where his feet were taking him. Soon, he realized that he reached the back of the school, where no one was there. It seems that the cloudy sky made everyone want to stay indoors, because they don't want to risk going outside in the possibly rainy weather. Donghae didn't mind the rain, instead he stood there under the rain, so that no one would know if he was crying or not.

Donghae stepped towards the bench where he used to watch the students playing archery. That place had been his favorite for the last couple of months, whenever break time would arrive, he would always go there, this was the place where he discovered new things that he didn't know existed. Here was the place he met the woman who stole his heart.

When he was with Irene, Donghae felt free and would often feel great. He knew that this would be hard for Irene to accept, but he knew that Jessica and himself are tied together. Sometimes that attachment has to have some sacrifices, especially in his personal life. "Donghae?" someone asked. The voice of a girl startled Donghae. Apparently, it was Irene, the girl was standing right in front of him.

Donghae suddenly felt weak, he wanted to cry, but he knew he couldn't. He had to protect Irene just like he does with Jessica, being weak isn't an option. "Umm... hi," Donghae said, his voice was slightly hoarse. "Why aren't you practicing?" he asked. "I wanted to take a break because it's cloudy. Why are you here?" she asked. Donghae could only stare at Irene, until he patted the empty seat next to him.

"Sit here," he said. Irene looked at Donghae, feeling worried, she complied to sit beside him. "You must have heard about what happened yesterday," he said quietly, while staring at the grass moving in the wind. Irene's heart started to throb hearing Donghae's words. Yoona didn't tell her anything, but she still knew about the incident on the basketball court. The incident was trending in the schoolroom, and everybody was talking about it.

Only Irene's close friends supported her relationship with Donghae, but everyone else thought that Donghae was an evil person who was just manipulating her like a puppet. Irene shook her head despite knowing. "I want to hear what happened from you," she said. Donghae went silent, he didn't know what to tell Irene. Soon, raindrops began to fall from the sky.

Luckily, the bench they were sitting on had a roof on top of it, so they wouldn't get wet. "Let's break up," he calmly said out of nowhere. "Why?" were the only words that Irene could say, she had to restrain herself from crying. "Actually, there is no specific reason," he said, and gulped. His throat had never felt so dry. "I have to protect Jessica. That's all," he could say.

"Why must you protect her?" Irene softly said, she could feel tears about to form in her eyes. "What about my sister?" she asked. "I'm not sure if Yoona really wants to take care of her, even if she wants to she doesn't know how to," he said, his eyes still focusing on the wet grass. Irene immediately turned to look at Donghae's side profile. She was shocked with how calm and easily Donghae could say those things.

  dropped open, but not a single word escaped . "Only I can do it," he said, as the thunder roared. "But that doesn't make sense, doesn't it?" he asked, and chuckled like he was laughing at his misfortune. "But I stopped thinking about it after a while and I began to accept and consider it as fate," he said. Irene also turned her gaze to stare at the wet grass. Her mind started to race about what happened to their love story.

She didn't understand what Donghae said at all. "Why does it have to be like this?" she asked. Donghae turns to look at Irene, but he doesn't answer her right away. He knew his girlfriend very well, now his ex-girlfriend was very confused, but Donghae knew that he couldn't tell her straight away. He is bound to the Jung family.

"Well I realized that Jessica unnie was like a princess. Why do you overprotect her so much?" she asked as she smiled crookedly. This time, it seems like Irene agreed with Yoona. He knows that Yoona dislikes it when he and Jessica are together, she calls them a pair of overly dramatic humans. He immediately feels regret in his heart, he doesn't know if he can see Irene's reaction from what he's going to say.

"Because...," Donghae hesitated to answer, but he had no choice but to tell Irene. "Jessica is a special girl, that's all you need to know," he continued quietly. Irene didn't know what to say, she was disappointed and her heart hurt so much. Irene glared at Donghae. "Is that so?" she murmured.

Both of them were silent for a while, Irene couldn't deny that she was very annoyed with the guy beside her. "It feels strange to know that Jessica is so special to you, but what have I been this whole time?" Irene asked, daring to look into Donghae's eyes. They were silent for a while, the heavy rain made them unable to hear anything other than the voices of their hearts.

They could only look at each other, trying to understand the other person's feelings. "I'm sorry," Donghae finally said, hoping to end the conversation with Irene. Without the reason, she had realized that tears had dropped down to her cheeks. She roughly rubbed the water with the back of her hand, and tried to calmly smile in front of Donghae. 

Donghae knew what was happening, he wanted to wipe those tears away from Irene's face, but Donghae was silent and continued to pay attention to Irene. "It's okay," she replied. Donghae really regretted lying and hurting Irene, but he knew that he was forced to behave like this and he can't be with her, no matter how hard he wanted to be with her. Donghae let out a rough breath, he really hated the rain.

-

"Jessica," Donghae said as he opened the door to her room. He looked at Jessica, the girl was obediently lying on the bed while ice cubes stayed on her knees. Her right cheek was still swollen and Donghae glanced at the injection tool that was open on the bedside table. "Have you gone home?" Jessica asked, still smiling. She finished taking a picture of the wooden cat that Yoona gave her. "Have you given my message to Solar?" she asked.

Donghae smiled faintly, he put his bag down

Please log in to read the full chapter