Chapter Thirty One

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Even though they didn't want to separate from each other, the sunset is gone and they were forced to end their last date. Jessica slowly walked towards the place where Jongin was waiting for her. Meanwhile, Yoona was behind Jessica and she was watching the back of the small and fragile girl and noticed that her footsteps looked extremely unstable. Maybe Jessica was too tired to walk down the stairs.

Yoona thought that she should stop the girl and let her take a break. However, Jessica was weaker than she thought. Before she could help her, Jessica suddenly fell because she accidentally stumbled on a step. Jessica's head hit the edge of the stairs and she was curled up in a ball before Yoona could help her. "Jessica!" Yoona exclaimed before approaching her.

"Sica are you...?" she asked but she couldn't continue her sentence because she realized that Jessica's forehead was torn and bleeding. She waited for Jessica's reaction to call Donghae, the boy would know what to do. However, she was wrong again. Jessica did nothing, the girl quietly kept her eyes halfway open and tried to close the wound with her trembling hand.

"Wait," Yoona said as she fumbled in her pocket while looking for her handkerchief. She was relieved when she finally found the handkerchief. Yoona folded the unused handkerchief and pressed it on Jessica's forehead. "Press this on your forehead, okay?" Yoona told her.  Jessica only obeyed Yoona's order. "We'll go to the clinic later," she said.

Jessica nodded again even though her eyes began to faze, and pressed the handkerchief to her wound with all her strength. Seeing a pale Jessica struggle to get up, Yoona put her bag on her stomach and brought Jessica's hand to wrap around her neck and crouched so Jessica could get on her back. "Come on let's go," Yoona said, she was clearly panicking.

For a moment, Jessica just stared at Yoona's back. She remembered the time when Yoona brought her back home. Now Yoona was doing the same thing but now she saw herself as weak and helpless. Finally, Jessica weakly crawled onto Yoona's back. Yoona stood up and they started walking. Jessica tightly grabbed Yoona's shoulder with her right hand while her left hand was busy pressing the wound with the handkerchief.

Jessica was drugged with Yoona's scent so she didn't feel pain, all she felt was comfort. Without realizing, her head slightly leaned against the back of Yoona's neck, enjoying every second of Yoona's scent before it was all over. Yoona was ignoring the tingling sensation caused by Jessica's breathing, she was busy with her own thoughts. Jessica's body was so light that she weighed as much as her backpack.

For a moment, Yoona could only feel tightness. She felt suffocated not because of Jessica's hand, but because that hand was no longer hers. "Yoongie, I'm sorry," Jessica muttered in a weak voice. Yoona just silently listened to the girl murmuring next to her left ear. "Sorry, even to the end I'm still a burden to you," she said.

Yoona just sighed, her feelings raged when she heard the guilt that Jessica expressed. "I'm the one who should apologize to you Jessica. Donghae was right and this was proof that I can't take care of you," she said. Jessica slowly shook her head as if she was saying that Yoona was wrong. "I should be grateful because you went out with me today," said Jessica.

The lights across the street were very bright and the cars were blurred in Yoona's view. Not even the cool night breeze could soothe the burning pain in her heart. "Thank you for today Yoongie," Jessica muttered. "Thank you for everything. I'm so glad that I got to meet you," she said weakly. Yoona took another deep breath so that her tears won't fall.

She never thought that her first love would be as painful as this. She used to think that love was useless and made people weak, but Jessica made her more happy and more human. "Sica," replied Yoona. For some reason, Yoona was eager to mention the affectionate nickname because it made her feel like she would let go of everything to be with Jessica.

Yoona frowned when Jessica's body went limp, she decided to stop when the handkerchief fell to the ground. A second later, Yoona's body stiffened when she noticed that the handkerchief was bright red and at that moment, another drop of blood fell on it. Yoona immediately turned around and her eyes widened when she realized that the blood was flowing from Jessica's hair. "Jessica!" Yoona exclaimed and took Jessica off of her

Please log in to read the full chapter