Chapter Twenty Eight

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Donghae, why did things have to end up like this?" Mr. Jung asked. Donghae looked down, not daring to look Mr. Jung in the eye. When Mr. Jung heard the news of Jessica's eyes bleeding, he immediately canceled his business meeting in Jeju and returned to Seoul. Right now, they are waiting in the waiting room of the hospital and Jessica was getting examined by a special doctor who has known her since early childhood.

"I'm sorry uncle," Donghae said regretfully. Mr. Jung sighed heavily and looked carefully at Donghae. "For most of your lives, I haven't let you guys go to school because I wanted you and Jessica to become close, considering that Yuri moved to London," Mr. Jung said with a dreamy look. "I didn't want you guys to go to school because Jessica only needs you. Yuri needs to come back, Jessica needs her more than anything. Jessica can't get hurt like this," said Mr. Jung.

Donghae gulped, his throat felt extremely dry. He understood what Mr. Jung meant, and he also knew that going to school was a big mistake. "I only trust you and Yuri. You three have always been close and the both of you have been bound to Jessica. You know how to look after her," Mr. Jung said. "I shouldn't have let you and Jessica go to school," Mr. Jung said. "I should have realized that you guys will only get hurt," he continued.

Whenever Donghae thinks about school, Irene flashes through his mind. Maybe if he didn't enter KIS, he probably wouldn't have met Irene and fallen in love with her. She made him feel things he had never felt before, but that was no longer important. Jessica's life was on the line and she was getting injections right now.

If they never attended the school, Jessica would have been fine. She would probably be safe in their house, she might be eating ice cream or porridge while watching Disney movies. She probably would have been laughing right now, not crying. She probably will impatiently wait for Yuri. She would have read Yuri's email numerous times, but that wasn't possible. She couldn't return to the past.

"Maybe this was my fault. I expected too much from you and gave you too much responsibility," said Mr. Jung. Donghae bowed his head. He remembered when his parents and Yuri's parents explained to them about Jessica's condition. Donghae remembered when Yuri, the girl next to him, would be smiling and vowed to protect her. Donghae had always been impressed with Yuri.

When he was a child and didn't have a girlfriend, Donghae worked to not just protect Jessica, but also protect Yuri. "You are too young to take on the responsibility. I should have let you act like normal children and allow you to do whatever you wish. That was supposed to be your youth, and I shouldn't have taken it away from you," Mr. Jung said as he lightly patted Donghae's shoulder. However, he shook his head.

"Mr. Jung, I've grown up. I know what I want, this is what God has told me to do. I'm proud to say that I protected Jessica in my youth," Donghae said. Mr. Jung chuckled, he looked at Donghae's serious and anxious expression. "So what do you want to do Donghae?" he asked her. "I will continue to protect Jessica, maybe until Yuri comes back but I'll still protect her.

I will not repeat my mistakes again, whatever happens I won't let Jessica get hurt like this," said Donghae. For a few moments, Mr. Jung stared at Donghae for a long time, as if he was evaluating him. Mr. Jung met him as soon as he was born and noticed the similarities he had with Jessica. Mr. Jung knew that Donghae was born for his child and after raising them together.

However, Mr. Jung realized that they had a relationship like siblings, not lovers. He was also shocked when Jessica also said that she wanted to marry Yuri in the future. It wasn't just words, he could see how Jessica acted with Yuri and how it was different than how she was with anybody else. They acted like a married couple whenever they were together.

At first, Mr. Jung couldn't accept it, but Yuri's parents convinced him to slowly agree and accept it. He accepted the strengths and weaknesses of his daughter, he wasn't a strict person towards same couples, except this relationship. Today, Mr. Jung was devastated with her state of decline all because of a girl named Im Yoona. For a while, he thought no other girl was more suitable than Yuri to stand by his child.

Mr. Jung looked back at Donghae and he tried to believe him. The middle aged man realized that he couldn't always fully take care of Jessica. He was too busy with his work, he did it to solely meet Jessica's needs. He had to buy the medications and medical devices and they aren't cheap. "I believe you Donghae. Just keep Jessica away from that girl," Mr. Jung said in a serious tone.

"Make sure that Jessica can't get hurt anymore," he said. "I'll contact Yuri's family about the matter. I'm not s

Please log in to read the full chapter