Chapter Twenty Nine

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Finally, after permission from Mr. Jung, Jessica has returned to school one last time before she will return back to her boring life. "There is something I want to do before I regret it," said Jessica. She really wanted to do it, she almost fought with her dad, the most important thing was that she could return to school one last time. Jessica stopped, she stared at the school gate. She never realized that the gate was rusty and that the black paint was about to peel off. 

Maybe it wasn't as solid as she thought it was. Her gaze turned to the floor, it was clean and shiny, apparently someone had come and cleaned it. Donghae told her that the school used to have a cleaning service but they stopped because the school guards were more than enough. She walked towards the basketball court and Jessica looked at one of the park benches where she would spend time with Yoona. 

The bench looked so comfortable and warm, but she knew that she couldn't sit on it without feeling the pain. Jessica walked towards the front hall and looked up at the empty desks. She remembered on the first day she entered the classroom, she absolutely hated the subject because she had to sit in the middle of the class. Little did she know that the position of the bench would change everything.

-

Jessica stepped in after Donghae opened the door, the atmosphere has changed. Her friends no longer care about them, the voices of praise have been replaced by ridicule. Jessica tried to ignore those voices while she stepped towards her desk. As usual, she saw Yoona sitting quietly at her desk while reading a book.

Yoona looked like she was immersed in reading her book, but Jessica felt that Yoona was watching her through the corner of her eye. She chose to not greet Yoona as usual, because she had to fulfill Yoona's request. Soon, Sunmi appeared with an expression that wasn't as bright as usual, the students immediately went quiet when she placed her books on the desk.

As usual, they start the lesson by praying and Sunmi tells them to make observations outside for the day. Boisterous noises filled the room, only Yoona, Jessica, and Donghae weren't reacting. The students left the classroom while carrying books and pens, the students left the room one by one. Jessica waited for the other students to leave and Sunmi looked at her sympathetically and let her leave with Donghae.

After they arrived at the garden, Sunmi told the students to surround a bucket of compost and slowly explained the learning objective about how to make compost. Jessica and Donghae were listening intently and writing their notes while Yoona stood in another corner to watch the two people. After they spent an hour of writing notes about the compost, Sunmi told them to clean up and go back to class, but a voice stopped them. "Wait!" Jessica cried out.

All the students stopped when they heard Jessica's cry and they looked at the girl who looked extremely nervous. While gripping her notebook, Jessica asked a question. "Can we take a group picture for a moment?" she asked them. Solar immediately gawked and the other kids stared strangely at Jessica's sudden request. "What for?" Jackson asked. Jessica thought for a moment and smiled faintly. "For a memento," she said.

"Because all of us will graduate soon," she answered.  Before the other people could answer, Sunmi came back to her senses and immediately approached Jessica. "That's a good idea," she said. Reluctant whispers were heard but they still gathered up. Jessica took out her cell phone and walked away, intending to take a picture of them. "Why aren't you in the picture?" a confused Tzuyu asked. "Umm... well," Jessica was about to say.

"Hey you, can you take a picture of us?" Sunmi asked a ninth grade student who passed by. He nodded and took Sunmi's cell phone. "Jessica, stand next to Changmin," Sunmi begged. She stepped hesitantly and joined her friends and teacher. When the kid started counting down, Jessica tried to smile but her chest because she didn't want to leave yet. She doesn't know what her expression looked like in the picture.

-

During break time, Donghae and Jessica went to another place to spend their break time. They decided to go into the library, because a lot of Jessica's memories happened here. Jessica pushed the metal door and stepped in while Donghae decided to look for Yeontan. The library looks quiet and peaceful as usual. In the past, she would have felt suffocated while breathing the air, but now she feels very homesick.

Jessica decided to walk further by walking down the aisles of the bookshelf, she was collecting the beautiful memories she had there. They were still clear in her memory, how Yoona would teach her new things. Yoona's voice would resound within her brain and that would give her useful knowledge. Jessica turned to the collection of encyclopedias. This place was the most memorable, she spent a lot of time here while listening to Yoona explain space and astrology.

This was the place where Jessica confessed her feelings to Yoona, even though she confessed a couple of days later on the roof. Jessica reached into her blazer pocket and took out the small wooden cat, the first thing that Yoona gave her. She was so happy at the time, even though Yoona gave it to her for a weird reason. Jessica closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and threw it away.

She thought back to the time when she was still in a relationship with Yoona. Even though their relationship was really short, Jessica never regretted dating her. It has been an extraordinary meeting her, even though Yoona might have felt otherwise. Therefore Jessica decided to obey Yoona's request to stay away from her, she knew that Yoona would be better off without her.

-

Donghae walked towards the canteen, he planned to say goodbye and thank Jiyong for helping him keep his secret in his black water bottle. His steps stopped when he saw Irene w

Please log in to read the full chapter