Chapter Thirty Eight

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Today was the day of the graduation exam and all the final year students were busy preparing themselves. Some of them were very serious while memorizing the material in the printed book, and others relaxed while praying repeatedly. However, Yoona was silent while staring at her pencil. Even though she looked extremely calm, she still felt very nervous.

As before, she was confident that her efforts would give her something sweet in return, this time she didn't just study for herself. She did it for Jessica, she had high hopes for her even though she couldn't remember everything. Now Yoona was here now with full determination for the sake of Jessica. She will not disappoint her. Yoona remembered last week's events, after returning home from the hospital and talking to Jessica, she immediately entered the bathroom and cried her heart out.

She still remembered the words of Jessica's father, she realized that he was right. This might be an opportunity for Jessica to start a new life without a jerk like her. Then she will return to her first love, someone who will definitely be with her and keep her heart. She will always be happy and will never cry again. Meanwhile, she will carry the burden herself, she won't let Jessica remember her.

All Yoona has to do now is to continue her life and return to her goals for the future. That way, she will be able to stand proudly in front of Jessica someday. Suddenly, a teacher appeared making Yoona aware of her reverie. She glanced at her pencil and then at the paper. Jessica had an extraordinary influence on Yoona and she knew it. Yoona took a deep breath and slowly exhaled before writing her answers on the paper.

-

Finally, time was up, even though it only felt like a couple of minutes and the students left the testing room. Meanwhile, Yoona was sitting at a desk at home while reading a book about human anatomy. Irene walked towards her and placed a glass of warm milk on the table. "Here, drink some milk first," Irene said to her sister. Yoona closed the book and faced Irene while taking the glass of milk.

"Congratulations, Yoona. You finished the test," she said. Yoona smiled at her younger sister. "Thank you," she said and then sipped her milk with pleasure. Irene was staring at Yoona, she was observing her actions. Irene still hasn't discussed the subject of Jessica at all, because she's afraid that Yoona would lose her focus on the graduation exam.

"Yoona, Jessica has been able to do some activities now," Irene said. Yoona choked on the milk when Irene mentioned her name, but she immediately regained her composure. "Really? Thank God if that's the case. Soon, she'll be able to recover," she said. "Don't you want to try visiting her again?" Irene finally asked. She remembered last time she visited Jessica, she became extremely chaotic.

Irene knew that her sister cried all night long, and kept herself busy with her textbooks until the morning. Irene felt that Yoona was absorbing herself in her books to forget about her misfortunes. "Maybe Jessica doesn't remember you, but she will get to know you," Irene said. "Maybe if you tell her about the school and graduation exam, Jessica would be happy. Who knows?" she asked.

Yoona was silent while staring at the glass in her hand. She hesitated because a part of her wanted to go see Jessica, but another part of her held her back because of her promise to Mr. Jung. Besides, Yoona wasn't sure if the girl wanted to see her again, maybe Jessica would feel uncomfortable around a stranger like her. Yoona suddenly felt pain when she thought of the word stranger. "I'm so pathetic," she murmured.

"What about you? Are you and Donghae still talking to each other?" Yoona asked, trying to change the topic. Irene smiled awkwardly. "Yeah, I just sent him a couple of messages and called him this morning," she said and Yoona narrowed her eyes on her sister. She was wondering if the girl was still with Donghae. "I just asked about Jessica. That’s all we talked about," Irene said to convince Yoona. 

Yoona just sighed, she was exhausted and just stared at her younger sister. Even though they both know about Donghae and Jessica, they didn't have a chance with them. Jessica and Donghae can't be separated. Even if she wants to be with Donghae, she must be able to accept Jessica's presence which means that there is no such thing as being alone. 

Even if there is, Irene shouldn't complain if Donghae suddenly gets a call from Jessica. Yoona is not sure about what will happen if Irene gets back with Donghae. All she knew was that Irene would never be a priority for Donghae. "Irene, do you know how things are for Donghae and Jessica? Are you sure that you can get back with Donghae?" Yoona asked. "Umm...," Irene said as she bit her lower lip.

"I know that it will be hard, but I'll try my best to accept it," she said. When she saw Donghae yesterday, Irene decided that she wanted to always stand by Donghae's side whenever he needed it. She promised herself to not be jealous and she would give Donghae the freedom to always look after Jessica, and she knew that she could trust Donghae. "Oh, you're a big girl now," Yoona said as she ruffled Irene's hair

Irene got annoyed and pursed her lips. "You can decide for yourself what you want to do," Irene said and looked at Yoona. "What are you going to do with Jessica?" Irene asked. Yoona sighed. "I can only be forgotten," she said as she smiled bitterly and focused her eyes on the glass. Irene stared at Yoona for a moment and then realized that Yoona seemed to be losing her energy and her body was getting thinner.

For the last couple of weeks, Yoona studied to the point where she didn't sleep. Irene approached Yoona and

Please log in to read the full chapter