Chapter Three

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

The voices of her classmates shouting distracted Yoona from reading her book. She knew that the shouts were addressed to the Haesica couple, which is the abbreviation of Donghae and Jessica's names. Shaking her head, Yoona couldn't help but think about their overreactions. From the corner of her eye, Yoona could see Donghae opening the door for Jessica, who was about to enter the classroom.

She returned to reading her book and she could smell the fresh fragrance of Jessica's hair. Jessica didn't sit down immediately, she took the time to look at Yoona with interest. "Genius students are different," she said. Yoona looked up, at first she didn't want to, she looked at the pair of brown eyes that were sparkling. Instantly, Yoona remembered Donghae's words yesterday, and the guy had a point.

Maybe Jessica was a rich girl who said what was on her mind without thinking about the other person's feelings, but that didn't mean that she was arrogant. "I'm not a genius," Yoona replied coldly. She had never felt like she was a genius or that she was smart, she always thought that she did well in school because of her effort and hard work. Jessica's eyes blinked a couple of times.

"So why do you read before class? Is it because you want to look like a genius?" she asked. In her mind, Yoona wanted to say the most polite yet piercing curses for the arrogant girl in front of her. Maybe Donghae was wrong about Jessica, maybe the girl really wanted to insult her in the most innocent way. "You are....," Yoona growled. "Good morning everyone," Sunmi, the biology teacher said, cutting Yoona off.

Jessica, who didn't bother, quietly sat on the bench, and wore her round glasses. Those glasses resembled Harry Potter, usually making the person look geeky, but it just made Jessica look even more charming and adorable. Sunmi laid the books she had brought on the table, clapped her hands and smiled. The students frowned in surprise, Jessica hadn't even taken her books out of her bag, she only took her glasses out, which was absurd to think about.

"Let's have a pop quiz!" Sunmi exclaimed, shocking the students because this was totally unexpected. The quiet class turned to chaos almost instantly. "Calm down everyone, we are just going to review what we learned last year in tenth grade, okay?" she said. "But miss, we don't have to do that," groaned Haechan, the guy who was sitting next to Donghae.

"Yes miss, you are so beautiful and good hearted, but I don't think our quiz scores are going to be as beautiful," Nickhun said bringing the whole class into laughter. Sunmi shook her head patiently. "I'm just curious to what extent you recall your lessons from your previous class," she said calmly. The woman tried to calm her students, but it didn't seem to work.

"The questions are very easy, just try to solve as many as you can," she said. The boisterous energy resumed, because they didn't feel any relief from her replies. Finally, Sunmi had to hit the eraser against the blackboard, and the students fell quiet, their attention returned to Sunmi. However, none of them could look the beautiful teacher in the eye, except for Yoona and Jessica who looked at her. Sunmi knew the two of them since last year.

One of them was a rich kid, who was too naive and didn't know much about manners, and the other was a poor kid who had full ambition to be doing whatever she could to achieve her goals.  "Okay Yoona," exclaimed Sunmi, making her choice. She was hoping others could at least copy her attitude. "Yoona, when does crenation occur?" she asked.

All of the students immediately broke apart, and discussed with each other what the answer could possibly be, and some people complained about not knowing the answer. However Sunmi noticed that Yoona was very calm in her seat, with a smile printed on the corner of her lips. "Crenation occurs when cells are submerged in a hypertonic solution, which causes water to flow out of the cell by osmosis," she responded calmly.

All of the students looked at her in awe, then realized that Yoona is the queen of all the subjects in the school. "Good that's right!" Sunmi exclaimed while clapping her hands like a seal. "Okay now..." Sunmi said, looking for someone else to answer a question. However no one would return her gaze except for Yoona and Jessica. Sunmi sighed as she chose Jessica to answer the question. "Okay, Jessica," she said as she looked at Jessica.

Now all the heads turned to Jessica who was staring at Sunmi flatly. Sunmi knew of the girl's intellectual ability. She might be blessed with beauty, but even if she studied she wouldn't get into the top ten. Sunmi was thinking of the easiest possible question in h

Please log in to read the full chapter