005

Next To You

 

 

Why isn’t he picking up?

Dahye was staring at her phone intently at the backseat of the car, she was dressed in a white tweed skirt suit and a pair of heels. The girl was on her way to a meeting that was supposed to be attended by her brother.

But, she didn’t need to be reminded about that.

She groaned as her call went to voicemail again and she put her phone down, she turned her head and looked at the paper bag sitting next to her bag.

I wouldn’t have to look for him at school if he wasn’t being nice.

Nice people are the worst.

Nice people with nice faces.

The car slowed to a halt and she grouchily turned to the window, seeing her family’s company building come into view. The girl sighed and slid down from the car, she was greeted by her brother’s secretary as she walked to the sliding doors.

“Young miss, the branch heads and managers are all waiting for you upstairs.”

“They should feel bad for making a student skip her first class for a meeting.” She murmured, the older male smiled and held onto the elevator door for her.

“What are we discussing today?” She asked, the male handed her a folder and she browsed through it, she chewed on the insides of her cheek.

“Ah, this is the branch in Ulsan. And oppa was planning this partnership with Hyundai, right? That amusement park slash mall slash hotel. Wow. What a pain.”

The male smiled and watched as the girl reviewed the files, he had a feeling have her in charge with her brother’s job will be a fun ride. And, she might be the key to fix all the lousy branch heads her brother’s been having problems with lately.

 

 

 

Dawon walked into the restaurant and immediately rushed towards the girl sitting alone, she looked up as he reached her.

“Did you wait long?”

“No, I didn’t know class would end early today. How’s your bruise?” She stared at the bruise under his eye worriedly, she gingerly reached out to cup his cheek.

“I’m fine, I’ve been holed up at home for days. I was worried about you.”

The girl shook her head and dropped her hand to her lap.

“I was fine, we’re in the middle of this thesis revamping. But I’ll live.” She said jokingly, Dawon smiled before asking for a menu.

“You said you had something to say? Please, not another picnic by the beach, I’m too busy for that.” She warned him as she picked up her coffee.

“Yeah, well,”

She could see how excited he was, Junhee smiled and ran her fingers through her hair.

“I mentioned my sister, right? The one who was away, living in Canada?”

“Yeah, the badass who lives alone? Your sister, I want to be just like her when I grow up.” She hummed, Dawon laughed at her words.

“Well, she’s home now. And she’s enrolled to SNU, so you might run into her.”

“I don’t know how she looks like, Dawon-sshi.” She said dryly, Dawon was about to take out his phone but he paused.

“You know, what? You should meet her, she already knows about you.” He said carefully, Junhee wasn’t really the type to be open about their relationship and he always understood that.

“Really? How?”

“W—Well, it’s a long story. But, are you okay with meeting her? Don’t worry, she won’t talk about us, my sister rarely opens .” He added quickly, Junhee couldn’t help but laugh.

“Of course, I’d like to meet her, oppa. Set a date for us, it’s also okay if you don’t come.” She mused at him, Dawon rolled his eyes at her before calling for the waitress to take their order.

 

 

 

Dani was actually smiling as the professor dismissed them, she leaned back on her seat and reveled at how this class was going to be particularly easy for her. The girl liked math and seeing the list of topics they would be taking amused her.

She stood up and gathered her things, and she was also a little pleased that she has not yet bumped into her brother’s friends so far. Being alone was her thing, it didn’t bother her.

She was the exact opposite of her social butterfly of a brother. She stood up and walked down the classroom doors. She made her way towards the stairs, careful not to be hit by the rushing students.

“Uhmm, excuse me?”

She paused and turned her head, a male wearing a letterman jacket was standing behind her, the girl faced him.

I have to be polite.

This is Korea, we live by politeness here.

Ugh.

“Yes?” Her eyes went to her jacket again, the guy was in the basketball varsity team.

“We were just in the same class, Dahye, right?” He asked her with a grin, the girl pursed her lips and nodded.

“Yes, right.”

“Well, I heard from professor Shin’s previous classes that he usually tells the students to partner up so,”

Oh god, no.

“I was wondering if you’re in need of one? I could be your class study buddy.” He offered in a flirty tone that made Dani flinch inside.

“Or, something more?” He added jokingly, Dani grew horrified.

“You know, what? I’ll…I already have~”

“That’s not how you treat new students.” Another voice spoke, Dahye looked away from the male and looked at the owner of the voice.

“Sunbae, I was just~”

“Go before someone reports you to the admin office again.” The male sighed at him, the other male backed off and turned away from them. Dahye looked at the newcomer again, expecting him to talk to her.

“Don’t mind him, he loves to pester female classmates but he’s basically harmless.” He said to her, Dani was about to speak but the male was already walking away from her.

“This school is so weird.” She murmured as she hurried to her next class.

“I should look for Chani later.”

 

 

 

“He wasn’t in our other class earlier.” Zuho said as he sat down beside his friend, Taeyang nodded back at him.

“Something must have come up at the company again, anyway,” Taeyang continued as he put his backpack on the desk.

“Professor Choi might give out the results from the previous quiz today.”

“I heard that too, but~” Zuho paused when he noticed a familiar figure walk in, he nudged his friend.

“It’s Dani.”

Taeyang followed his gaze and watched as the girl made her way towards the front of the room, her eyes scanned the room, looking for empty seat. Taeyang raised his palm, her eyes landed on him.

“Join us, Dani!” He called, and in an instant, all eyes were on the newcomer. Someone even whistled lowly, Zuho winced and shook his head. Dani nodded back at them and made her way towards their area, she paused and decided to take the empty desk right across theirs.

“Did you find your way to your other classes okay?” Zuho asked her, she spun around on her seat and nodded.

“I did. You…You two also have this class?” She said softly, Taeyang almost cooed. The girl was finally speaking with them and it felt like an accomplishment for the male.

“Yeah, we do. I can send you a copy of his topics.” Zuho offered, Dani nodded back and faced the front again.

She exhaled and leaned back on her seat, she looked at the empty seat beside her taking note of the fact that her other classmates were already settled down. She relished the fact that she had the desk all to herself.

“Dahye, right?” A male had walked up to her, the two nosey boys behind her elbowed each other.

“I guess so.” She replied, the male blinked at her reply but he smiled.

“We have the same class earlier, I was wondering if I could have your phone number?”

Taeyang had to stifle a laugh, Zuho looked away not wanting to look.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t have a phone.” She replied, the male paused, his eyes went to her phone on the table.

“But, isn’t that…yours?”

“Exactly.” She said, her tone remaining flat as ever, the male turned away from her and walked back to her seat. Dani shook her head and leaned back.

Please let this end a peaceful day.

I have two reports to finish for Lee Dawon.

I have actual work before doing homework.

What have I become?

She dumped her bag and books on the empty chair beside her and leaned against her desk, still annoyed.

“Dani-ah, join us for lunch.” She heard Taeyang speak, she nodded without looking at him.

The girl was staring at the painted walls of the class hall when a voice suddenly spoke to her.

“Is this seat taken?”

She turned her head and hoped she hadn’t.

“How?” She blurted out, Rowoon blinked at her reply.

How?

What is a “how”?

“I’ll take that as a no?” He mused as he leaned down to gather her things, the girl panicked and immediately grabbed her bag and books.

“S—sure, g—go ahead.” She said as she dumped her things on her side of the desk.

She felt Rowoon sit down next to her and a hint of cologne greeted her nicely, Dani pulled her chair to the side, to the farthest end of the desk.

I want to go home.

“How was your first day, Dahye?” He spoke, Dani halted and slowly turned to face him.

“It was f—fine.”

“That’s good to hear, Chani mentioned you would probably get a little confused with your class schedule so,” Rowoon took out something from his bag and his eyes went to her. Dani felt his gaze on her and she blinked.

“So?” She blurted out, he smiled before reaching out grab hold of the arm of her chair and gently pulled her closer. Dani stilled, again.

“It might be dangerous sitting too far out, you fall down the steps.” He explained as he put a piece of paper before her.

I’d rather roll down this steps, tall person.

“So, Chani patterned your schedule to mine, he found out that the two of us have a lot of classes together. Apparently, we both have the same subjects for the semester.” He said amiably as he pointed towards his schedule.

me.

No, I don’t mean that.

I meant, my life.

“It’s going to be fun then, let’s get along, Lee Dawon’s sister.” Rowoon let out a small laugh before taking out his notebook, the girl slowly slid away from him.

Wait, it can’t be that bad.

We can’t have the same classes.

Like, every class.

“You m—mean, we have the s—same schedule?” She asked, hoping for an answer that would favor the butterflies in her stomach.

“Yes, except you don’t have soccer practice.” He offered as he stretched his legs before him.

Ha ha ha ha.

You have a flaw after all, tall person

“Right, Dahye-ah,” He pulled her chair again, the girl’s eyes widened again, their arms brushed against each other and she immediately put her hand down.

“I missed the first two classes today, did you guys do anything?”

Mommy, I want to go home.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++