019

Next To You

 

 

Rowoon leaned forward as he watched Dahye conversing with his father and Hyundai’s corporate lawyers.

The meeting had come to an end, and everything had gone through smoothly.

“Yes, personally, I think it may be a little risky to add more firms to the team. Things might not go well if these creative minds start to debate.” He heard Dahye speak. His eyes went to the girl as she tucked her hair behind her ear as the two men continued talking to her.

“Right, we do have to talk about the architectural firm we contacted for this one.”

“Ah, yes, chairman. I already reached out to them; I will be meeting them next month.” Dahye replied, the girl paused, and she turned her gaze to him. Rowoon felt himself tense slightly, but he gave her a small nod.

“This is a first, did you eat something wrong?” Dawon sat down beside him, the younger male snorted in reply.

“It’s my first time actually seeing you finish a meeting. This calls for a celebration.”

“Which should we celebrate? My being here? Or Dahye still being mad at you?” Rowoon replied coyly, Dawon winced and shook his head.

“You know?”

“I drove her home that night, don’t you remember?” Rowoon replied, Dawon exhaled and leaned back on his chair.

“I don’t know what to do, Dahye…has never been easy to deal with, but…she…”

“Hyung, I don’t want to overstep my boundaries but,” Rowoon cleared his throat, he glanced at the girl again, she was now joined by her father and the Hyundai executives. Rowoon couldn’t help but smile in her direction before facing his friend.

“I think she just doesn’t like how you’re keeping things. It makes her uncomfortable.” He finished, Dawon nodded back and looked at his hands.

“She’s always been vocal about what she wants, maybe you only need to hear her out.” Rowoon said softly, Dawon was about to speak but his father was calling him over.

“Good for you, you get her.” Dawon patted his shoulder before leaving. 

 

 

 

“Chani-ah,”

Chani looked up from his laptop, Eunwoo had taken the seat across his.

“Sunbae,” Hwiyoung greeted him with a smile, Chani nodded at the older male.

“What is it, sunbae?” Chani spoke, Eunwoo smiled before putting his backpack aside.

“There’s something I want to ask you, are you busy?”

“Hyung, just fire away.” Chani said coolly as he shut his laptop close, he checked the time on his watch briefly before facing Eunwoo again.

“Actually, I’ve been looking for Dahye this morning, is she not in campus?”

Hwiyoung looked up from his textbook, Chani slowly shook his head.

“I think she mentioned something about having to go with her father today, hyung. She’s probably at the company.” Chani replied, Eunwoo paused and he nodded back.

“Ah, right.”

“But, why were you looking for her? You can just call her.” Chani asked.

“I don’t have her number, I don’t know if I should ask for it too.” Eunwoo shrugged, Hwiyoung hid his grin behind his books.

“I’m sure she’ll be here after lunch, noona doesn’t really like being absent from her classes.” Chani said, he glanced at his phone briefly.

“Don’t.” He heard Hwiyoung murmur, Chani grinned to himself.

“You know what, hyung,”

Eunwoo was in the middle of putting his backpack on.

“I’ll send you her number, I don’t think she’d mind. You two are friends after all.”

Hwiyoung shook his head to himself, Chani was so going to die.

 

 

 

“So, how was it?” Dahye asked as she walked towards the male, Rowoon leaned back against the desk and glanced at her.

“I still don’t get how you find this stiff environment comfortable, but it wasn’t so bad.” Rowoon replied, the girl smiled and stood beside him.

“I feel like you’re more comfortable here than at school.” He commented, Dahye paused and shook her head.

What? Comfortable?

I thought work would never give me stomachaches.

This was supposed to be a landmine-free environment!

Yet, here you are, looking ridiculously good in that three-piece suit.

I am offended!

“You seem so surprised seeing me here, I’m offended.” Rowoon said jokingly, Dahye balked at him.

“Did I say that out loud?” She blurted out her hand flying to , Rowoon blinked at her and he reached out to pull her hand away from her lips.

“What?” He started to laugh, Dani shook her head at him.

“No, no, it’s not like that. I just didn’t know you were…the Hyundai son. Sorry.” She murmured, Rowoon chuckled and bumped his shoulder with hers.

“I’m glad I ran into you here, Dahye.”

“You know calling me Dani wouldn't hurt~”

“What’s this? You had your car driven here?” Chairman Kim approached them, Dahye straightened up.

“Yes, I have to get to school.” Rowoon replied keeping his tone even, and in that instant, the girl felt the tension between the two.

“You’re going to leave now? We will be having lunch with~”

“Actually, uncle,” She said in a small voice, the elder’s eyes went to her.

“I asked Rowoon if he could…if I could catch a ride.” She fibbed, she could feel Rowon’s gaze at the back of her skull.

“R—Really?” The elder paused.

“Yes, we’re actually working on a project together for class, so, I was thinking he could drive us to school? But, if you…you have other things for him to do, I can just take a cab.” Dahye continued as she took a small step back, she froze when she accidentally stepped on Rowoon’s foot. But the male steadily held on to her arm and let her lean against him.

“No, it’s okay. You two kids can go.” Chairman Kim said quickly while smiling at her.

“It wouldn’t be good if you have to rush to school riding a cab. Go on.” He continued on, Dahye immediately pulled away from the male and Rowoon let go of her arm.

The girl thanked the elder before grabbing her purse. Dahye made her way towards the doors and almost ran into Rowoon.

“That was fast.” She mused at him, Rowoon shook his head and he loosened his tie.

“They should give you an award, my father loves you more than he loves me.” He commented as they reached the elevator.

“No, really, I just needed a ride to school.” She said flatly, but she was smiling.

“Let’s get coffee on our way, I stole yours.” Rowoon said as the doors opened, Dani shook her head as they got inside.

“You were really cool today, ice princess.” He said as they doors closed in before them, Dahye puffed her cheeks and leaned back.

“I just did..what I had to. But, you did well today, too. You managed to answer my father’s questions, I see you have reviewed the presentation.” Dani said as she fixed the strap of her purse on her shoulder.

The two reached the lobby, Dahye could feel glancing at them and she grimaced. Rowoon had that type of pull to him, people can’t help but just stare.

“Dahye-ah,” Rowoon reached for the sleeve of her jacket, she looked up.

“Hmm?” She asked, she saw his car being brought around. Rowoon then leaned over to tuck her hair behind her ear. The girl tensed and bit the insides of her right cheek.

“I was serious, you were really cool today. And, thanks for the save. I have a match today.” He scrunched his nose at her before dropping his hand to his side.

 

 

 

“Does he still have plans to show up this afternoon?” Zuho said as he tossed his bag in the trunk of his Rover.

“What if he got into another fight with his father again?” Taeyang tilted his head, he saw Chani and Hwiyoung walking towards them.

“We should eat outside. Rowoon hyung probably won’t show up, noona too.” Hwiyoung commented as Chani unlocked his Benz.

“Right, I didn’t see our ice princess today.” Taeyang added, Hwiyoung was about to speak when a familiar Audi rolled into the parking lot, and it stopped a few cars away from them.

“He’s here.” Zuho said, and then the four paused as they saw the person going down from the passenger seat.

“Dani.” Taeyang mused, his lips curling up. Chani glanced over his shoulder and he watched with interest as the two chatted to themselves.

“We still got here in time.” They heard Dahye speak.

“I know, but not enough time to get lunch. You said you were hungry.” Rowoon replied as he took her backpack from her, Dani shook her head and leaned against the car as she waited for him to get his soccer gear.

“They do get along, I though they wouldn’t.” Zuho mused, he was about to call for them when Eunwoo suddenly appeared.

“Oh my god.” Hwiyoung grimaced to himself, Chani was grinning like a Cheshire cat as they looked on.

“Oh, Eunwoo-ah, I got your text.” Dahye spoke, Rowoon’s head bobbed up from the back of his car.

“Were you busy? I really needed to talk to you.” Eunwoo replied, the girl shook her head.

“Not really, I got a few minutes to spare before class.” Dahye replied, Rowoon walked around the vehicle and reached them.

“Where are you going?” Rowoon asked, Chani’s brows went up as he noticed how the older male’s jaw clench ever so slightly.

“Rowoon-ah, hey.” Eunwoo said, he glanced at the male’s car briefly.

“You two arrived together?” He continued, but Rowoon’s eyes were on the girl.

“Where are you going?” He repeated, not replying to the other male.

“We kind of have a thing to discuss.” She said to him as she reached for her bag, Rowoon nodded and handed it to her.

“What’s this….I can..almost see the tension.” Zuho murmured, Taeyang looked away and smiled to himself.

“Territorial.” Taeyang said softly.

“So, let’s go?” Eunwoo gestured for Dani to walk first.

Dahye-ah,” Rowoon spoke again, the girl paused, and her eyes went to him.

“I…I have a match later in the day. Can you be there?”

“O~”

“Chani wants you to be there.” Rowoon stated, his eyes went to Eunwoo briefly.
Chani snickered at his friend's words.

“I'll be there.” Dani smiled while replying, and that made Chani pause, and Rowoon too.

The girl was smiling so genuinely.

“O—Okay.” Rowoon’s reply was short and he turned away from them, Dahye followed Eunwoo out of the parking lot.

“What was that?” Zuho chuckled while shaking his head, Taeyang saw Rowoon pause and the tall male glanced over his shoulder, he was looking at Eunwoo and Dahye from across the lot.

“This is going to be interesting.” Taeyang murmured before getting inside his car.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++