040

Next To You

 

Chani jogged towards the team, their coach had called them to huddle before the match started.

“Noona isn’t back yet,” Hwiyoung commented, Chani followed his gaze and saw Hyoseop chatting with Zuho and Taeyang, the space beside him was empty.

“She said she was off to buy some snacks.”

Chani nodded back, he felt Rowoon pat his shoulder as he joined them, the older male glanced at the bleachers.

“Okay, so we all talked about their key players, Choi Wonpil is their main~”

A loud roar of an engine cut through the noise and they all looked up, Rowoon’s eyes landed on the yellow Aventador speeding right across them.

“Dahye?” He breathed, and then he saw the girl on the passenger’s seat, she was slamming her palms against the window.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” Chani called out, stunned as they older male ran away from the team. And then his brows went up, he turned his head just as the Lamborghini exited through the campus gates.

“Dahye.” Hwiyoung blurted out, Chani looked at his friend and then they both shook their heads as they ran for the parking lot. They could hear their coach yelling at them to get back, but they ignored it. The two halted when Rowoon’s Audi R8 was seen careening away from the parking lot.

“What’s going on?” Hwiyoung called out as they reached their respective cars.

“I don’t know, but it doesn’t look good.” Chani replied, he got inside his vehicle and sped after Rowoon with Hwiyoung’s BMW M4 right behind him.

Rowoon’s knuckles whitened as he gripped on the steering wheel hard, cars were honking behind him in protest as he zoomed through the busy highway. He could still see the Aventador just a few cars ahead of him.

He stepped on the pedal harder as his call to Dahye got disconnected again. The screen lit up, Taeyang’s name appeared.

“Hey, what’s happening?” The male asked worriedly, Rowoon checked the side mirror and saw his friends were behind him.

“Someone is driving Dahye’s car. Someone is inside with her.”

“What do you mean?”

“Dahye would never leave like that, Taeyang.” Rowoon spat, the male from the other line went silent.

“We’re right behind you.” He said before ending the call, Rowoon stepped on the gas again, pushing his car’s limits. And then he glanced to his left, Dahye was staring right at him through the windows.

It was there when Rowoon recognized Cha Eunwoo’s familiar silhouette beside the girl. The male turned his head ever so slightly and smirked at him, Rowoon clenched his jaw when he saw Eunwoo use his other hand to yank Dahye by the hair away from the windows.

Rowoon looked ahead, realizing that it was an empty crossing, he floored the gas pedal and overtook the Aventador.

He shifted lanes and maneuvered the car to the left, Rowoon slammed his foot on the brake and grimaced as the yellow vehicle slammed against the tail of his car.

Rowoon turned his head and saw blood dripping down on Eunwoo’s forehead, his eyes went to Dahye who was wincing, but she was staring right back at him.

Rowoon let out a shaky breath before going down from his car.

 

 

 

“Junhee, we are so happy to have you here with us, dear.” Mrs. Lee spoke as their food was being served.

“Dahye wanted to join us, but she had previous appointments, so,”

“Actually, I know she’s at school. Chani would never let it go if she didn’t watch his finals today.” Junhee said with a smile.

“Just Chani?” Mrs. Lee said happily, Junhee turned to Dawon and the latter shook his head at her.

“I have to say, we were all worried when we heard Dawon got into some trouble a few months back. We didn’t know that you were involved with that, of course, we don’t blame you. It’s only right for him to protect you.” Mr. Lee spoke as he looked at his plate, Junhee chewed on her lower lip but she nodded, sheepish.

“That night, I kind…I kind of had the bad idea to escape my guards, uncle. It was a bad decision. I apologize for that.”

“Don’t. Because of that, we finally got to meet you.”

Junhee nodded back, a little unsure.

“I’m sure you’ve met Dahye?” Mrs. Lee chimed in.

“Yes, we have a class together, auntie.”

“Dawon can be a headache, but Dahye is the migraine.” She informed the girl, Dawon chuckled from his seat.

“I don’t know how to ask this, but is your parents aware of..you two?” Mrs. Lee asked carefully, her husband glanced at her briefly.

“Yes, my parents has met oppa once.”

Dawon nodded, his mother smiled and patted his hand.

“That’s good then, we’re worried that Dawon hasn’t introduced himself to your parents yet.”

“Yes, my mother likes him. I think they like him better than me, auntie.”

The elders laughed, but they halted when Dawon’s secretary stepped into the room.

“Is it really urgent, secretary Seong?” Mr. Lee sighed, the male could only nod as he discreetly handed his phone to his young boss.

“Sir,”

Dawon took the device and he almost dropped it.

“What?!”

 

 

 

Zuho turned his head as the Ferrari pulled to a full stop beside his Maserati.

“What..Are they okay?” Hyoseop was about to rush towards the scene, but Chani blocked him.

“Hyung, don’t~”

An unscathed Rowoon appeared from his car and in three long strides, he reached the Lamborghini’s driver’s seat. He opened the door and yanked Eunwoo by the collar and dragged him out of the vehicle.

“Oh god.” Hwiyoung murmured under his breath.

“What was he thinking?” Taeyang said, he glanced around them, the police were clueless whether to approach the mess.

“You finally caught up.” Eunwoo chuckled as blood dripped to the collar of his shirt, Rowoon looked at him and he started to laugh.

“I did. I had fun, you bastard.” Rowoon replied, and then the expression on his face completely changed as his fist flew right towards Eunwoo’s nose.

The latter staggered back and tried to swing at Rowoon, but the latter successfully dodged him.

Chani rushed towards the passenger’s seat and pulled the door open, Dahye looked up, her eyes wide as saucers.

“Chani, I~”

Chani sighed, he unbuckled her seatbelt and carried her out of the car.

“Are you okay, noona?”

“I am, I can walk.” She breathed, she had her palm against her stomach and then she heard someone groaning.

“Stand up!” Rowoon challenged as Eunwoo struggled to be up on his feet.

“I said stand up, you ing bastard!” Rowoon hissed again as he kicked the male in the gut. Eunwoo coughed out blood, he wiped his lips with the back of his palm before turning his head to Rowoon.

“We are now seeing you for who you really are, Kim Rowoon. You’re crazy. For her. And that’s scary. You’re no better than me.”

The side of Rowoon’s lips went up, he leaned down to pull him up. But then something dropped from Eunwoo’s coat pocket.

“Oh no.” Taeyang said as he looked the items on the ground, they were a bunch of photos. Photos of Dahye, and it looked like they were taken without her knowing. There were even photos of her during her swim practice, walking around school and pictures of her in her swimsuit.

“I’m no better than you?” Rowoon chuckled heartily, and all of his friends grimaced, it was that change on his tone that irked them all. Even Hyoseop grew alarmed.

Zuho turned his head and noticed the a helicopter was nearing towards them, his brows went up.

Chani put Dahye down and she turned, she jumped in surprise when Rowoon slammed Eunwoo against the hood of the Audi.

“At least Jungho had the decency to come clean.” Rowoon bellowed as his grip on the male’s collar tightened, Eunwoo smirked at him.

“Come on, admit it. You look at her that way too.” He hummed, Rowoon’s jaw grew taut before slamming his fist against the male’s face. He pulled him from the car and tossed him across the street. Eunwoo grimaced in pain as his whole frame skidded on the rough asphalt.

Dahye started to walk towards him, but she paused as a loud whirring sound neared them. She glanced to the sky and saw the helicopter.

“People are watching, Rowoon-ah.” She said softly, careful.

“Those aren’t people.” He replied as he picked up the photos on the floor, Hyoseop looked at the helicopter again and noticed the logo on its body.

Hyundai Motor Company

“Well, this probably just became one of the country’s most expensive car chase.” Hyoseop mumbled to himself. Dahye glanced at Eunwoo as he tried to sit up on the floor, she exhaled and saw Rowoon going through the photos of her.

“Hey,” She breathed as she walked towards him, she saw the cuts on his hands and she paused.

“Are you okay?” Rowoon finally faced her, his eyes were searching hers, worried.

“I am. A little shaken, but I’m alright. You?” She replied, she saw the police slowly approaching the injured Eunwoo.

“That’s good.” Rowoon said shakily as he pulled the girl to his chest, Dahye felt his palm on the back of her head and he leaned his chin on her shoulder.

“That’s good, Dahye-ah.” He breathed, Dahye’s brows went up but she slowly wrapped her arms around his waist. Rowoon kissed the side of her head before letting go.

He glanced up, he raised his palm slightly and the helicopter started to pull away from them.

“Guys, look.” Zuho approached them, he draped his jacket around Dahye and gestured around them.

Passersby were all staring at them and at the car wreck, reporters were also filming at the scene.

“We have to go. You’re bleeding.” Hyoseop strode towards them, Dahye gasped when he saw the cut on his forehead.

“I’m okay~”

“You both aren’t. Let’s get you to a hospital.” Hyoseop murmured, the two piled in Taeyang’s Land Rover and sped away from the scene as the police were being faced by men in dark suits.

“Hyundai goons, Dani.” Taeyang whispered softly as he closed the door for her.

 

 

 

Dahye leaned against the bed’s foot as Hyoseop cleaned the cut on Rowoon’s forehead.

“Are you sure you don’t want to get that checked?” He asked her, Dahye shook her head.

“Okay, X-ray is on the fourth floor.”

She frowned at him, she opened , wanting to argue but Rowoon turned his head to her.

“At least get an X-ray, Dahye. I felt the impact too, it wasn’t a light crash.” He said calmly, trying to reason with her.

Hyoseop turned to his friend, there was a knowing grin on his face.

“You need one too.”

“I will get one, after this.”

“Then,”

“Dahye, go on. It’s fine. I’m okay.” Rowoon said soothingly, her forehead creased, and she tugged on the hem of her shirt.

“You know what, I’ll bring the portable machine here. Or, you know, anything just to be out of this room.” Hyoseop murmured as he stepped back from Rowoon, he grimaced when Dahye elbowed him on his way out.

“That was some crazy you pulled, Kim Rowoon.” She whispered as she pressed her back against the wall.

“He was going to kidnap you.”

“I know.” She said, her eyes went to his face and she let out a small sigh before walking towards him.

“You guys left the game.”

“Do we need to discuss that? I saw you being taken away, Dahye.” He replied as the girl stood before him, Rowoon ran his fingers through his hair.

“That was finals, Rowoon.”

“If Cha Eunwoo had really taken you, then I wouldn’t know what to do. You,” Rowoon looked up to meet her gaze.

“You have always been a priority, ice princess.” He said softly, Dahye pursed her lips at his words. Rowoon felt her palms on his shoulders.

“I was always worried that you wouldn’t see me next to you. I didn’t want you to see me as like those guys who just wanted to mess with you.”

“Yeah, you’ve made it pretty clear that messing with me means…messing with you.” She trailed off, her lips quirking up.

“Eunwoo would know.” She added, she noticed how Rowoon’s forehead creased again and she let out a small laugh.

“So, you do actually know how to get angry.” She said kindly as she softly drummed her fingers on his shoulders.

“Your head must hurt; he pulled your hair.” Rowoon said as he placed his hands on her waist, she shrugged.

“I wanted to knee him where it hurt, but you kind of…almost killed him. So, I let go of the idea.” She chimed in, Rowoon looked up to look at her.

“Thanks for always having my back, Hyundai.” She said, Rowoon nodded and then he stood up, still not letting go of her.

“You should be sitting~”

“You can slap me later.” He said before leaning down to press his lips against hers, Dahye’s eyes widened but she slowly draped her arms around his neck. Rowoon pulled back, his forehead leaning against hers.

“I—I’m not getting hit?” He murmured lowly, Dahye smiled, she tugged on the collar of his shirt.

“No.” She chuckled before giving him a quick peck on the lips and stepping away from him, Rowoon blinked at the girl.

“I’ll go get that X-ray now. You should rest, Soccer boy.”

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++