029

Next To You

 

 

You look really good in that skirt.

Dani’s eyes widened but she started to smile, Rowoon’s eyes went to the male.

“Finally, you’re here!” She breathed, Eunwoo grew confused as he stared at the other tall male.

“Are you not letting go?” The stranger suddenly turned to him, Eunwoo dropped his hand to his side.

He smirked back at him before turning his gaze to Dani again.

“Oppa!” Dani literally leaped into his arms, he chuckled and wrapped his arms around the girl. For a brief moment, he met eyes with Chani and the two grinned back at each other.

“So, let’s go?” He asked as he set her down, his eyes went to Rowoon briefly and his brows rose up.

Dahye turned her head to Eunwoo, her brows knit together, she shook her head before facing Rowoon.

“I’ll be back before class. So, rain check?” She said to him, Hyoseop grew intrigued as the girl turned to the other male. Eunwoo sighed and stepped away from them.

“Alright. Make sure you have actual lunch and not just those fruit cups you love so much.” Rowoon said lightly, she rolled her eyes at him. But then he slowly reached out to her arm, Dahye paused as the male examined at her wrist.

“It’s okay, it didn’t bruise.” She murmured, Rowoon nodded and let go of her.

“So, if they’re done fighting over you, can we go grab lunch~” The male grimaced when Dahye grabbed him by the arm and dragged him back to his car.

Rowoon watched as the girl got in the driver’s seat, the male turned to them again and grinned. He slid inside the car and within the seconds the Ferrari was careening towards the campus gates.

“W—Who was that?” Zuho blurted out, Chani elbowed him. Rowoon swallowed, he turned away from the car and walked ahead. But Chani didn’t fail to notice the how the older male was so silent throughout their walk to the restaurant.

 

 

 

“Wow, I leave you alone for two seconds and boys are already fighting over you.” Hyoseop commented as the waiter left them.

“What are you talking about? What took you so long?”

“Dani, I’m just an intern, requesting a transfer is like walking through fire, you spoiled brat.”

“Your father~”

“Let’s talk about Paul later, how about you, babycakes, how’s life for you?”

Dahye exhaled and crossed her arms.

“What was that? Who was the other dude?”

“He’s the guy eomma set me up on a blind date with.” She explained, Hyoseop grinned and leaned back on his chair.

“And, I thought we could be friends, you know.”

“I know. I mean, I know you.”Hyoseop mused as he took a small sip from his water.

“Things were actually really okay, oppa. But then, he told me..he suggested that we..give it a shot, you know.”

“A shot? You mean, try the whole blind date thing?”

“No, just..” She fidgeted on her seat, Hyoseop looked on, worried.

“You mean, he wants to go out with you for real?” He asked, switching to Korean, Dahye looked at him and nodded.

“And, you don’t want that?”

“Duh?” She grumbled, the older male sighed and shook his head at her.

“Huh, he fell for the Dahye trap.”

“Stop.” She whined, the older male cackled.

“I mean, I guess the other one did too, but he’s still living so~”

You know what, let’s just go. Drive me back to school.” She sighed and stood up, Hyoseop grinned to himself as he paid for their meal. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Dahye walking towards his car. He got his credit card back and jogged after the girl.

“Was that the guy? The guy were running away from?”

“What?”

“The guy who made you all panicky and you were in denial for weeks because you~”

“Please, don’t. I’m already over that.” She murmured, Hyoseop unlocked the car.

“Kim Rowoon.” He stated, Dani stilled and glanced at him.

“Ahn Hyoseop, I swear to~”

“This is typical of you, you start liking someone, and you’re all panicky over him. Then he becomes your friend, and suddenly, you’re no longer interested.”

Dahye paused and looked at him.

“I’d rather remain a friend, oppa. He’s one of my brother’s really close buddies, I don’t want to get into that.”

“What if he doesn’t want to be a friend?” Hyoseop said as he opened the door for her.

“Trust me, he doesn’t see me like that.” Dahye chuckled as she got inside the car, Hyoseop chuckled to himself as he closed the door shut.

“I beg to differ, babycakes.”

 

 

 

Chani let out a small yawn and stretched his arms, and then he paused, realizing that everyone in the table had their eyes on him.

“W—What?”

“Zuho said he saw you smile back at the male. Therefore, you know him.” Taeyang said suspiciously, Rowoon grew amused.

“I—I do, so, why?”

Hwiyoung chuckled and continued with his ramen.

“You know, come to think of it, we don’t really know noona’s status. Is she seeing someone or, I mean, this could be why she’s so against the blind date thing her parents set her up with.” Hwiyoung said, Taeyang hissed at him and jutted his lips at Rowoon. The younger male grimaced and shrunk on his seat.

“Ah, Hyoseop hyung.” Chani said, being coy, Rowoon looked at him.

“You know him.” Zuho stated, the youngest nodded back.

“I do.”

“So, who is he to Dani? How could he just kiss her cheeks like that?” Taeyang spoke again, Rowoon felt his phone buzz and he took it out.

Don’t hate me. But I’m running a little late.

And, another but.

But, I also need your help with the write-up for professor Shin. We have to work on it together. -Dahye

“Actually, he’s one of those friends that’s considered untouchable.” Chani stated, Rowoon turned to his friend, intrigued by his words.

“Untouchable?” Rowoon repeated, Taeyang grinned to himself.

“No one really knows what they are, and no one should ask. Noona doesn’t like it when people meddle into her affairs. But, that hyung survives everything.” Chani shrugged nonchalantly, liking the fact that Rowoon was listening intently whole trying to appear uncaring about it. He was also frowning.

“And now that, Cha Eunwoo seems to be…really fixated on her, I think he should stop.” Chani continued, being the little devil he is.

“Why?”

“That hyung is the complete weapon, you know.”

“Weapon?” Zuho grew confused.

“He got into med school at an early age. He’s a doctor now. His family background is just a bonus.”

It’s okay. Is the library good for you?

Rowoon put his phone down and drummed his fingers on the table, her reply came quickly.

I’m buying coffee then. Thanks, Rowoon-ah. -Dahye

He looked down at the table and smiled to himself, then his phone buzzed again.

And, I had a very hearty lunch. No fruit cups today, Hyundai. -Dahye

That’s good, I’ll make sure to tell Eunwoo you had fun today.

Dahye replied with a bunch of knife emojis and he laughed to himself before putting his phone away.

“Oh, well, too bad for the basketball captain then.” Taeyang said happily, Rowoon glanced at Chani again.

“How did you meet him?” He asked, giving in. Chani’s smile grew wider.

“You can always ask noona, hyung. She’ll tell you anything.”

“S—She doesn’t.” Rowoon murmured back, flustered at his reply.

“What are you talking about? Dahye literally talks to you about anything, I’ve seen you two around campus.” Zuho said teasingly. Rowoon ignored his friends and continued with his meal.

“It’s true, hyung. Noona does trust you a lot, she’s comfortable with you too.” Chani said to him.

 

 

 

“Rowoon-ah.” Rowoon felt a tug on his sleeve and he paused, Dahye was walking beside him.

“What did I miss?” She asked him, the male handed her the folder in his arms.

“A new assignment, that’s pretty much it. How was your lunch?” He replied, the girl was smiling as she hold onto his arm, she raised the iced latte she was holding onto and he took it from the girl.

“It was fine.” She murmured, Rowoon noticed how her eyebrows grew knitted together when they passed by the school’s sports complex.

“Do..you want to talk about it?” He said quietly, the girl looked up at him.

“I feel like I always dump all my problems on you. How are you, Kim Rowoon?” She replied, he grew amused, the girl was trying to change the topic.

“I’m doing fine, Dahye. It’s you I’m worried about.”

The girl sighed and shrugged back at him.

“You were annoyed back there. I can sense it.” He said lightly, and then he let out a small chuckle.

“But, we don’t have to talk about it.” He patted her hand on his arm.

“I…I don’t know what to do with him, I never wanted…things to get awkward like this.” She murmured as they reached the library’s steps.

“It was wrong of him to grab you like that, ice princess.” He said as he encircled his fingers around her wrist for a second, and he let go.

“I know.”

“But, if he gets too much, you can always come to me, Dahye-ah.” He nudged the girl with his shoulder, she smiled and leaned the side of her head against his arm.

“I now, you’re like this big wall that I can always hide behind of. Well, literally.” She pointed out, Rowoon eyed her wanly.

“Of course, you would say that.” He murmured.

“I got you cupcakes too!” She said excitedly as she handed a red paper bag to him, Rowoon blinked at the girl.

“Coffee and cupcakes, it must have been a good day for the young miss.” He mused at her, Dahye laughed and shook her head.

“You like your sweets.”

“Right.” Rowoon said as he held the door for her, and then Dahye paused her eyes were on his neck.

“Dahye, what~” Rowoon halted when the girl suddenly stood on her tippy toes and she proceeded to fix the collar of his shirt.

“We gotta keep you all nice and pretty, who knows, we might get another cake today.” She said jokingly, Rowoon narrowed his eyes at her, she stuck her tongue out at him before running away.

He was about to let go of the glass door when he noticed a hooded figure standing just a few meters from entrance. Rowoon was about to walk towards the male, but he suddenly bolted out. His forehead creased as he watched the dark figure retreat away from him, but what caught his eyes were the shoes he was wearing.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++