031

Next To You

 

 

“My mother can be a bit too much.” Rowoon said as the Audi eased into the Lee property.

“Actually, I had fun. The food was great, teasing you in front of your parents was nice too.” Dahye chuckled, Rowoon rolled his eyes at her.

“You..never mentioned about that..person from earlier.” Rowoon said carefully, to which Dahye shrugged.

“Oh, him?”

“Him.”

“Yes, the pain in the from Canada? I’m doing everything in my power to protect you from him, don’t worry.” She said jokingly as the car pulled to a full stop. Rowoon blinked at her reply, the girl slid down from the car and he followed her.

“What..do you mean?” Rowoon jogged up to her, the girl paused.

“It’s nothing. Thanks for dropping me off. I had a nice time.” She mused, Rowoon glanced at the house briefly.

“Thank you for that, Dahye.”

“Huh? Rowoon, I didn’t pay for dinner, your father did.” She said with a small laugh, but Rowoon put his hand on her shoulder and really looked at her.

“I meant with what you did at school earlier.”

“It’s kinda true though, if I didn’t ask you to go to the library with me, you would have~” Dahye paused when Rowoon suddenly leaned down to meet her gaze.

“I still would have gone to the library with you if you hadn’t asked, ice princess. You know that.” He said, Dahye could only blink at him, not knowing what to say.

“I’ll get going now.” He finally spoke as he gently pulled the girl to his chest, Dahye’s eyes doubled in size but she patted his back softly.

“Good night, young miss.” Rowoon said as he let go of her, Dahye tilted her head at his words.

“Is this your way of getting back at me with all the names I call you?”

“Hey, young miss still sounds better than Denim Jacket.” He pointed out as he walked back to his car, Dahye chuckled and waved at him as he drove off.

“I am now a certified bro.” She blurted to herself as she walked into the house. Dahye made her way to the kitchen and found her brother, having tea.

“I see Rowoon dropped you off.”

“Yes, somehow I ended up having dinner with him and his family.” She shrugged as Dawon poured her a cup, the older male’s eyes narrowed slightly.

“So, what were you up to today, Dani?”

Dahye took small sips before facing him.

“Nothing much, I have two tests tomorrow. And, I was thinking, the school is playing for championships in a couple of weeks, maybe we can hold a little party after?”

“Which sport are we talking about, sister?” Dawon mused, the girl’s eyes went to him and she sighed.

“If you want to talk about your successor, go ahead. But, I happen to be a lot more invested in soccer, because, Chani’s there. Duh.”

“So, really no chance for Eunwoo?”

“I never mentioned it, huh?” She said, Dawon paused, he grew confused.

“What do you mean?”

“Eunwoo thinks we really should follow what the elders suggested, oppa.”

Dawon almost dropped his cup, the girls shrugged.

“Dani, I~”

“It’s fine, I can take care of it. I just…need some time to think it over.” She explained, Dawon scratched the back of his head.

“So, are you…giving him a chance? Do you even like him, Dani?”

“Oppa, I literally just said I don’t want to talk about him.”

“Oh. Wait, I was asking you how your day went, why are you talking about him?”

“What do you mean? Aren’t you more worried that Cha Eunwoo might~”

“Who’s the guy with the Ferrari? He kissed you!”

Oh dear god.” She groaned, Dawon crossed his arms.

“Paul! Hyoseop’s in town!”

Dawon started to blink slowly.

“Oh, your friend, the doctor?”

“No, my friend the giraffe!” She hissed before stomping away to her room.

 

 

 

“You know, while I like seeing that you’ve adjusted to life here,” Hyoseop begun as he switched lanes, Dani was in the middle of applying some lip tint on her lips.

“I don’t see why not bringing a car to school will help hide yourself.”

“If I don’t bring one, I don’t have to walk to the parking lot later on my way home. That lessens the chance on running into him.”

“Him? As in your soccer boy?”

“What? No. Cha Eunwoo. Blind date boy.” She sighed, Hyoseop chuckled and drummed his fingers on the wheel.

“I guess Soccer boy is comfortable now.”

“Can we just call him by his name? And, it’s not like that. Not anymore.” She murmured, the male glanced at her and he grinned.

Instead of avoiding him, why not just talk to him, babycakes?”

“I don’t know. I feel bothered because I already told him that I don’t like that kind of thing, and yet he seems so decided on it. It’s uncomfortable.” She stated as they reached the campus, the Ferrari eased to a full stop and the male looked at her.

“If you ever need to use a male friend to help kick him out, darling,”

“I know, I can always call you~”

“Please don’t you dare pull me into this. I want to live in peace.” Hyoseop finished in solemn tone, Dahye sighed and slid down from the car.

“Come on, it’s just a contingency plan!” She argued as the male also went down from the vehicle.

“So, that’s what I am now? A backup?” He shot back, half-laughing.

“Oppa, please, just this once~”

“Hey, school beauty.” The familiar voice made the girl pause, Hyoseop looked up and his grin only got wider.

“Well, that’s a first. And to my face too.” She murmured, Rowoon was walking towards them.

“It’s not like it’s a bad thing.” He replied, his eyes went to the other male for a millisecond.

“Where’s your car?” Rowoon asked, Dahye was about to reply.

“I’ve been asking the same thing on our way here, I’m Hyoseop, by the way.” The other tall male introduced himself, Dahye’s eyes narrowed at him as he extended his palm to Rowoon.

“Yes, nice to meet you.”

Soccer Boy, hey~

“It’s Rowoon, Hyoseop. Rowoon!” Dahye intervened, Rowoon looked at Dahye before shaking the man’s hand.

“We met while I was in Canada. He’s a doctor and he just moved back here. But he’s on his way now, right?” Dani glared at him, Hyoseop looked at Rowoon again.

“Ah, how are you finding Seoul so far, doctor?”

“Don’t call me that, Hyoseop will do. Or hyung, whatever’s good. And, Seoul’s been great. I heard you play sports?” Hyoseop continued, Dani was about to reach for Hyoseop but Rowoon gently pulled the girl back, he gave her shoulder a slight squeeze.

“Yes, are you working for the university hospital?” Rowoon asked with a smile.

“Yes, I got stationed there.”

“Then, we have a game next week, it’s going against a rival school. Would you like to watch?” He stated, Dahye’s head turned to Rowoon so quickly.

“Why are you inviting him? He’s not even a student~”

“Dahye.” Rowoon said softly, the girl shut . Hyoseop grew amused as he watched his friend being tamed into a cute little bunny.

“Sure, I’ll be there.” Hyoseop replied, he looked at Dahye again.

“It amazes me how you can handle her temper. I’ll see you around, Rowoon-ah.” He said before getting inside his car, the two watched as the Ferrari sped away from the parking lot.

“So, you’re met Paul.” She murmured as they walked towards the building together.

“You didn’t drive today.” He stated as he took her backpack from her and slung it over one shoulder.

“Yes.”

“So that Eunwoo wouldn’t know you’re in school?”

Dahye stopped in her tracks and stared at him.

“H—How did you know that?”

Rowoon let out a small laugh before replying.

“It’s something you would do, school beauty.”

“Do not call~”

“Babycakes.” Rowoon added, Dahye grimaced and jogged away from him, the male watched as the girl climbed up the steps with a smile.

My ice princess.

 

 

 

“Every year they do this, and it’s not like the market’s better now.” Youngbin murmured, Jaeyoon and Dawon turned to him. The friends had just finished the yearly summit for GM Daewoo’s stakeholders.

“At least it’s something that gives us reason to leave the office, hyung.” Dawon said lightly.

“Right.” Jaeyoon rolled his eyes in response.

“But, did you that strange rumor going around?” Inseong begun.

“About what?” Youngbin asked as he pressed the elevator button.

“Rowoon.”

“Rowoon?” Dawon repeated.

“Well, I heard this about a few days ago. Apparently, he got mad at someone during the press party you had.” Inseong replied.

“Press party? Oh, what happened at the restroom with Dahye.” Dawon nodded.

“No, not just that. He was asking for CCTV footage, or something? But the hotel management wouldn’t budge.” Inseong said, the doors opened and they all got inside.

“Right, he did manage to get the videos. I also reviewed it.” Dawon chimed in. Jaeyoon leaned forward, intrigued.

“He threatened the hotel that Hyundai would pull out their investment on them if they don’t hand the videos over.”

They all turned silent.

“R—Rowoon did that?” Youngbin started to chuckle, Dawon tilted his head.

“He used his Hyundai power. That’s a first.” Jaeyoon murmured approvingly.

"Has hell frozen over?" Youngbin said with a slight shake of his head.

“I know, it’s an improvement.”

 

 

 

Dahye was trying to untangle her damp locks as she walked out of the swimming pool complex, practice had finished early and she was itching to go home and eat. She took out her phone and was typing a text to her brother when she felt someone come up to her. The girl looked up, surprised.

“I thought you weren’t in school.” Eunwoo said, his tone soft.

“I…was busy with my classes.” She murmured, she fixed the strap of her bag on her shoulder and looked around them.

“Dani, I’m sorry if I put you off. I was just thinking of~”

“Eunwoo, look, right now, I really don’t want to talk.”

“You can’t avoid me forever, Dahye.” Eunwoo said, his forehead creasing.

“I don’t really see the need of having to explain my side again. I don’t want this to happen, Eunwoo.” She met his gaze evenly, the male let out a sigh.

“Dahye, please, listen to me. We could be so good together,” The male tried to reach for her hand, but the girl pulled back, her eyes were on someone behind the male.

“Eunwoo, I can’t.” She murmured as she hastily stepped away from him, Rowoon paused when he noticed Dahye pacing towards him.

“Dahye, what~” He halted when the girl hid herself behind his frame, he glanced up again and saw Eunwoo looking at them.

“Are you alright?” Rowoon asked, he could feel the girl holding onto the back of his shirt.

“I want to go home.” She mumbled back, Rowoon watched as Eunwoo approached them.

“I need to talk to her.” The other male spoke.

“I don’t think she wants to.” Rowoon replied, his tone flat.

“Just get out of the way, Rowoon-ah.” Eunwoo snapped at him, Dahye’s brows grew knitted together.

“If she wants to talk to you, she’ll go to you, Eunwoo. That’s how it works.”

“Move,” Eunwoo pressed on, his jaw growing taut.

“Make me.” Rowoon replied with the slightest shadow of a smirk. Eunwoo grabbed the older male’s collar and chuckled.

“You’re just her seatmate, back off!” Eunwoo hissed, Rowoon exhaled before pushing the male off him.

“And what makes you special?” He stated flatly, Eunwoo’s fist was about to hit his jaw but Rowoon expertly caught it.

“Guys, please.” Dahye was staring at the two, she grew panicky as she saw how Rowoon’s lower lip was jutting out. A sure sign that the usual calm and playful Soccer Boy was about to consider Eunwoo as the ball and the nearby lamp post as the goal.

Rowoon started to tighten his grip around the male’s fist and Eunwoo flinched in pain.

“Rowoon-ah,” Dahye spoke again, she stood between the two, and instantly regretted it. Both towered over her and she really no idea what she should do if a fight really broke out between them.

Rowoon's eyes went to the girl briefly, his forehead creased before dropping Eunwoo's hand.

“She’ll talk to you if she wants to.”

 Dahye felt his arm around her waist as the male pulled her away from the scene.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

 

 

A/N: How are you all doing?