042

Next To You

 

Mrs. Kim looked up as their son joined them, they were having late breakfast at the garden.

“How are you feeling?” She asked with concern.

“I’m okay, eomma. You didn’t have to wait for me to wake up.” Rowoon said apologetically as he sat down, he glanced over at his father.

The elder was staring at his phone while chuckling to himself.

“After the stunt you pulled yesterday, everyone was calling me. I had to switch off my phone, son.” Mrs. Kim said begrudgingly.

“How’s the company?” Rowoon asked softly, he paused, a little distracted by his father’s laughing.

“Abeoji, what are you watching?”

“Ah, you.” He said with a grin as he put his phone down, Rowoon looked at the screen and he halted.

“I asked for a copy of the video before the news company took it down. It looked a lot of fun, son.”

“Chairman Kim!” Mrs. Kim hissed from her seat, Rowoon grew amused.

“You looked really cool. You gave that kid what he deserves. How could he do that to our Dahye?”

“O—Our Dahye?” Rowoon repeated, his father nodded back at him and then his mother tugged at his arm.

“How’s Dahye feeling? Did you call her already?”

“I texted her, but she~”

“Text? You should call her!” Mrs. Kim slapped his arm, Rowoon grimaced and pulled away.

“Eomma, what~”

“Look, son. You two are pretty obvious. What’s the point of denying it?” Mr. Kim said as he happily replayed the video again, Rowoon winced and looked away.

“Don’t worry, we’ll fix this. No matter how you look at it, that Cha boy is in the wrong. I haven’t spoken with the Lees yet, but I don’t think Dawon will let this go.”

“Yes, he won’t.” Rowoon murmured as he took a small sip from his coffee, his mother smiled at him.

“You look happy.”

“Of course, he is. He finally tested if his Audi really does~”

“I didn’t mean that. Just eat your breakfast.” Mrs. Kim hissed at him again, Rowoon looked at his father, the elder rolled his eyes and went back to his coffee. Rowoon grew amused and shook his head.

“I’ll call Dahye after eating, eomma. We have a party tonight; we’ll see each other later.”

“Later? Why not, now?” Mrs. Kim cooed, Rowoon exhaled and simply stuffed his face with food.

 

 

 

“So, can we talk about him now?”

Dahye looked up as her mother walked in the garage, Dawon laughed from behind his car.

“Who?”

“Rowoon.”

Dahye sighed as her mother stood beside her, she shut the BMW’s trunk door and faced the elder.

“I thought I was going to get yelled at.”

“No. It’s not your fault, no one knew that KB Financial son is like that. My poor daughter,” She frowned as she cupped Dahye’s cheeks, the girl scrunched her nose at her.

“I don’t think people were expecting him to turn out like that. And, I know it’s not my fault, brother. You don’t have to say it again.” She pointed out before Dawon could open his mouth.

“Aigoo, if you think about it, two young men were fighting over you, my daughter.” Mrs. Lee said gleefully as she pressed her palms together.

“Oh god, no.”

“But, in the end, you chose the other one.”

“Eomma, please~”

“Well, I was hoping that we arranged you on a date with Rowoon first, you know. To save us all the trouble and~”

“Should I mention to Junhee how you once tried to dictate oppa who to go out with? Did you not know that they were already together by then?” Dahye asked flatly, Mrs. Kim paused and closed .

“She has a point, eomma.” Dawon called out from across the garage.

“Why are you two ganging up on me?” Mrs. Kim mumbled to herself, Dahye chuckled before giving her mother a quick hug.

“Yes, we can talk about Rowoon. And, yes, you don’t have to ask.”

“Ask about what? Oh, you and him, daughter?” Mrs. Kim grew excited, Dahye nodded and leaned against the car.

“Yes, Rowoon.” She simply said, her mother smiled and patted her hand.

“That’s good, he’s good for you, Dahye. A warmhearted man for my coldhearted girl.”

“Eomma!”

Dawon started to laugh.

 

 

 

“I wasn’t expecting you’d really attend this, noona.” Chani said as he approached the girl, Dahye chucked her car keys into her purse before facing him.

“Oh, are you late too?” She mused, Chani grinned at her.

“How are you feeling? People are still talking about it,” He said as they walked towards the club’s entrance together.

“Abeoji had a lot of questions, eomma was amused. Although, I don’t exactly like that the company’s getting press because of what happened to me.”

“Is it..bad press?” Chani asked as he held onto her elbow as they went up.

“I don’t know, but they recognized Rowoon, they’re linking the project to that. And now, rumors are…flying around.”

“But those aren’t baseless.” Chani chuckled as they stepped in the building, the girl automatically winced as loud music harassed her ears.

“Don’t start.” She warned him, Chani smiled before urging the girl to walk in front of him.

“I still don’t understand why oppa would want to celebrate his birthday here. It’s so loud and…damp.” She muttered under her breath as they made their way towards the VIP section.

“Do you think Junhee would come?”

“Noona said she’d be here, I feel bad for her bodyguards.” Chani replied, Dahye was about to joke but she felt someone reach for her hand.

The girl paused and turned her head, her brows rose briefly. Chani looked at the male, he chuckled before going towards their booth.

“I did say I would be late.” Dahye said as Rowoon leaned over to hear her clearly.

“It’s not like you missed anything, come.” Rowoon took her hand in his and led her up the stairs.

They reached the second floor and the girl glanced over her shoulder; the crowd was swaying through the beat of the music.

“Can I get you something to drink?” Rowoon asked, Dahye faced her, he was smiling before leaning down to kiss her cheek.

“Maybe later? By the way, my mother was very curious about you this morning.”

“I was in the same situation too.” He replied good naturedly, Jaeyoon looked up from the table and gave her a wave. Dahye mouthed him a happy birthday, the male raised his glass to her.

“What shall we do, ice princess?” Rowoon asked her, Dahye gave him a slow shrug.

“Nothing. I like to keep them guessing.” She said playfully, Rowoon grew amused but he nodded.

“I mean, if that’s fine with you. I’m totally down if you want to~”

“It’s fine, Dahye. We don’t have to rush.” Rowoon scrunched his nose at her, the girl blinked before smiling.

“You’re hungry, huh?” Rowoon asked.

“You have no idea.”

“Let’s get out of here?” He faced her, the girl nodded quickly and stretched her hand to him. Rowoon chuckled before putting his hand over hers.

“I know a place.”

 

 

 

“He is crazy.” Dahye murmured as Rowoon held the door for her, she tugged on the hem of her dress as they approached the counter.

“He threatened that he wants to sue me for damages. Well, I did purposely crash into the~”

“But it’s not even his car.” She pointed out, Rowoon noticed how she kept on tugging on her dress.

“Damages not just for the car, but for everything.” Rowoon said as he shook his coat off and offered it to her.

“Oh, I was going for this “I wanna freeze the whole night” look, but thanks.” She said happily, he shook his head at her before facing the male behind the counter who was staring at Dahye the whole time.

“Rowoon-ah, can we get~” She was about to stand next to him, but Rowoon gently pulled her so that she’d be standing behind him.

“Onion rings?” He asked as he met the male’s gaze evenly, the latter cleared his throat and looked away.

“Yes, and a~”

“Cheeseburger, no tomatoes.” Rowoon recited the girl titled her head and blinked.

“Yes, that too. Thanks.” She nodded, Rowoon proceeded to order for himself, Dahye made her way towards an empty table and sat down, she folded the cuffs of his coat up to her wrists and suddenly grew fascinated how long his coat was for her.

“I got you this.” Rowoon announced as he arrived with strawberry milkshakes.

“How’s your wound?” Dahye asked, her eyes focused on the bandaged part of his forehead.

“It’s fine. But, I should tell you,” He said as he pushed her drink to her, Dahye was about to reach for his forehead, but Rowoon smile and took her hand in his instead.

“We still have that meeting on Wednesday, because the groundbreaking’s this weekend.”

“W—What?” She echoed.

“The project, Dahye. The one~”

“Right, work.” She rolled her eyes as she took a small sip.

“Oppa mentioned that he’d be there. No worries.”

“You’re not going?” Rowoon asked, his eyes wide. Dahye paused and glanced at the counter.

“Well, since oppa’s going, I figured that I don’t need to~ Okay, I’m going.” She murmured, Rowoon beamed at her.

“I see you at school, we’re in the same classes and now, I also have to run into you at work. Nice, Kim Rowoon.” She commented, Rowoon winked at her. She shook her head, their food arrived, and the girl looked at her onion rings with joy.

“Are you free tomorrow?” He asked as he opened his burger.

“I am.” She said as she picked up a ring and nibbled on it.

“Can you spend the day with me?”

“Hmm, Kim Rowoon in a different setting, interesting.” She said with a smile, Rowoon tilted his head at her.

“I’ll come and pick you up.”

“I didn’t say yes.” Dahye shot back.

“You’d agree anyway.”

“Huh.” She stated, Rowoon met her gaze and wiggled his brows at her, the girl chuckled.

“I’ll make you coffee while waiting.” She said with a nod before eating, Rowoon smiled to himself as he watched the girl eat.

“Rowoon, stop staring.”

“But now, I can stare all I want.”

“Okay, that did not sound creepy at all.” She narrowed her eyes at him.

Rowoon laughed and pushed the ketchup towards her.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++