043

Next To You

 

“I know, but it’s kind of bound to happen.” Dahye said as she picked up a spoolie and brushed her eyebrows softly. Hyoseop was on FaceTime, looking disgruntled.

Well, he is disgruntled.

Dani, I have work piling up. Plus, I’m~

An intern, yes. But you’re human too.” She pointed out as she checked her reflection.

“Are you going out?” Hyoseop switched to Korean, the girl nodded back.

“With Rowoon?”

Don’t change the topic, Paul. Just do it, it’s only lunch.

Didn’t that thing with Eunwoo started because it was only dinner?” He pointed out, the expression on her face turned sour and the male laughed.

“You’ve known this girl since childhood, I’m pretty sure she’s not going to be like Eunwoo.” She pointed out as she stood up, the girl was dressed in a camel toned Chanel mini dress and a cropped leather jacket.

“Dahye, they want me to go out with this girl.” Hyoseop stated, the girl rolled her eyes and put on a pair of leather sneakers.

“I think they just want you two to reconnect. You can always say no when they force you to marry her. Duh.

“You’re supposed to help me out.” He pointed out, the girl picked up her phone and pursed her lips at him.

Hey, if you need me, I’ll be there. If you need someone to help you escape that lunch, call me.

So that Rowoon will kill me?” He asked dryly, the girl chuckled.

“He won’t, oppa. He thinks you’re cool.”

Actually, he never did act weird around me.

“What do you mean?” Dahye padded towards the windows, she saw a familiar Audi roll into the property.

You know how your potential suitors would try to act all tough and defensive around me,

“I didn’t know that.”She said as she left her room and made her way down to the foyer.

All I’m saying is, Rowoon was never like that. And I like that about him.

That’s…really great, oppa. I’ll see you later?” She said as she stepped out of the doors, Rowoon was already waiting by his car.

Yeah, have fun.” Hyoseop said teasingly before ending the call, Dahye put her phone back in her purse.

“Please tell me we’re not doing anything outdoorsy today, because I love this dress.” She said as a form of greeting, Rowoon chuckled before leaning over to kiss her cheek.

“I was thinking of getting something to eat first, but we can go for skydiving before that.” Rowoon offered as he opened the door for her.

“I want to laugh but I don’t have the energy to,” She said warily, the male chuckled and gestured for her to go in.

“Does your parents know that we’re going out today?”

“Yes, they don’t mind.”

“But, I think I should go in there and say hi.” Rowoon commented as he glanced at the house again, Dahye’s brows rose briefly and then she smiled.

“Rowoon-ah, it’s fine. They know.” She reached for his arm, the male looked at her and nodded. He slowly shut the door and went around the car, Dahye watched as he got inside and started the engine.

“What?” Rowoon asked as he stepped on the gas.

“You used to…treat me like one of the guys, you know. And I liked that.”

“What?” He blinked at her.

“What I meant was that, you’re Rowoon because you’re comfortable.”

“That…doesn’t sound so good, Dahye.” He said slightly as they drove away from the Lee property,

“I always had a hard time around you, but then you became a friend, so, that’s why you’re comfortable. And I like that.”

“A hard time? You? Around me? What did I ever do to offend the ice princess?” Rowoon said playfully, the girl grimaced and looked away.

“We can discuss that in another time.” She murmured under her breath, Rowoon grinned and did not press her to talk.

“What do you feel like eating?” He asked instead.

 

 

 

Rowoon pursed his lips as he leaned back on the chair, he was attending the quarterly board meeting with his father.

“Wait,” He cleared his throat, he could feel all the eyes shift towards him.

“So, you’re saying that for next year we should consider delving into construction. I get that, however, if I recall correctly, we tried doing this about two years ago,”

Chairman Kim turned to his son with a small smile.

“Yes, young master.”

“Right, but that didn’t end well. I just went through the files last night. We lost about eighteen percent of our usual market share. And, construction has never been Hyundai’s strongest area.” Rowoon continued, he leaned forward.

“I’m thinking that it might be a risky move to do it now.”

The room grew quiet and the young male felt his phone buzz in his pocket.

“He has a point; construction has always been risky business.” One of the directors spoke up, Rowoon took out his phone and read the text.

I hope you’re having fun. I just left school. -Dahye.

His lips quirked up slightly before typing in a quick reply.

Can I see you?

“He has a point, so, do we have another plan for the end of the year?” Mr. Kim asked, Rowoon nodded back on his seat.

“Rowoon will be taking over with the LeeSan project, I’d like manager Song to assist.” Mr. Kim also announced, Rowoon paused but he could only nod.

You are supposed to see me. How’s your field trip? -Dahye

Rowoon puffed his cheeks, and Dahye sent him a text, telling him where she was heading.

“Yes, I’ll be there for the project, chairman.”

“That’s good then, I think that’s all for today.” Chairman Kim said, and then he turned to his son.

“I know you’re on your way to see your young miss,”

“Abeoji,” Rowoon grimaced.

“But, your mother reminded me to tell you about inviting her~”

“You two are going to scare her off.” Rowoon mumbled as he stood up, his father chuckled heartily.

 

 

 

“You are actually taking this well.” Junhee said as she sat down, Dawon looked up from his desk and closed his laptop.

“What do you mean?”

“Most older brothers would go nuts if one of their friends started going out with their sister.”

Dawon shook his head before standing up, he stretched his arms before joining Junhee.

“You should see them at school, they are so cute.”

“Really?”

“Your sister is quite known to be, you know, very Dahye. She can come off as rude at first, then coldhearted.”

“Right.” Dawon nodded and took her hand in his.

“Seeing her around campus with Rowoon, she’s gotten livelier, she’s always been quiet, you know, oppa.”

“I know, you were terrified when you first met her.”

Junhee shook her head with a smile.

“Your younger sister has that effect on people. Rowoon was the only who remained unfazed, you know.”

“Oh, he wasn’t.” Dawon chuckled, Junhee turned to him.

“What do you mean?”

“I didn’t notice it right away, but there was this one time, everyone was gathered for some lunch Youngbin hyung prepared.”

“The one I couldn’t attend because appa asked me to join him at a banquet.” Junhee nodded to herself.

“Dahye arrived late, she chose to sit down beside Rowoon and Hwiyoung. The other two started talking and Rowoon was doing fine, until Dahye turned her attention to him.”

“They really did become close.”

“It was my first time seeing my usually calm friend freeze, Dahye was talking to him excitedly, but Rowoon was only staring at her.”

“Oh, that’s so cute.” Junhee said as she picked up her coffee, Dawon smiled to himself.

“And, he got too obvious after that. My sister never noticed it, but Rowoon was always around her, I got confused for a bit there.”

“Why? That she might reject him?”

“I was worried that she’d catch on and run away from him. Dahye has a tendency to do that, I’ve seen it happen.”

“But she didn’t.”

“I know. And, Rowoon’s a good guy. And, I will never interfere er with Dahye’s business, only if she needs me to, I’ll be there.”

 

 

 

Dahye was chewing on her lip as she looked at the blouse and jean skirt ensemble.

“This is the urgent matter you talked about that?” She heard someone talk behind her, the sales associates begun nudging each other.

Dahye grinned before turning her head.

“Look at you, all dressed up for work.” She said lightly, Rowoon was dressed in a three-piece Armani suit that only accentuated how broad he really was.

“Jurrasic?” She asked, Rowoon rolled her eyes before looking at the clothes again.

“Are you getting that?”

“So, no remarks about me always wearing skirts?” She mused at him as Rowoon took the shopping bags she was carrying before kissing her cheek.

“I..I don’t recall ever telling you not to wear…skirts.” Rowoon trailed off, Dahye slowly blinked at him.

“Right.” She murmured, Rowoon broke into a smile before facing the sales associates.

“Please wrap it up.” He said, Dahye looked at him.

“Don’t you dare.” She hissed, Rowoon winked at her before walking towards the counter, Dahye padded towards him.

“I went shopping because wanted to buy clothes, not that I wanted you to buy me clothes.” She pointed out as Rowoon handed his card to the lady.

“Yeah,” He simply nodded, Dahye shook her head and looked around them.

“How did the meeting go? Good?” She decided to let it go, Rowoon thanked the two ladies who were still gushing over him before stretching his hand to the girl.

“It did, and I’ve officially become assigned to the LeeSan project.”

“Oh, nice.” She said as she held onto his hand as they walked, Dahye glanced at him again.

“I feel like there’s something more, you’re being quiet.” She continued, noticing how women would literally stop and stare at him.

Who am I to judge them?

She suddenly had flashbacks of their first meeting and she shuddered, Rowoon paused and looked at her.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, Dahye quickly shook her head.

“N—Nothing, is there something else? I’m going to get us coffee.” She said as they got in the escalator.

“You know how we have finals next week?”

“Yes.” She nodded, a little distracted with how his tie got askew. Dahye leaned over to carefully fix it, Rowoon’s lips quirked up as the girl stood closer to him.

“Eomma asked if you could join us for dinner. And, you don’t have to say yes because~”

“Well, it’s okay.” She looked up, Rowoon paused, his brows going up.

“It’s just dinner. And, wouldn’t it be dumb if we still deny what’s going on?” Dahye said as they got off the machine

“So, you’re okay with dinner?”

“Totally.” She absentmindedly nodded as she searched for the Starbucks she spotted earlier.

“Dahye-ah,”

“What? I need coffee, and you look like you need it too.” She murmured, Rowoon made the girl face him.

“Are you really okay with dinner with my parents?”

The girl tilted her head at him.

“Of course, I am.”

“The last time you had~”

“Oh, that time it was dinner with him. Not you. If it were dinner with you during that time, it would have been okay with me too. Not that we have to talk about him now.” She sighed at him, Rowoon paused and his brows rose.

“That’s really sweet of you, Dahye.” He cooed, Dahye shuddered again.

“Yeah, sure. Can we not?” She groaned at him, Rowoon let out a laugh before tucking her hair behind her hear.

“Go and get coffee, I’ll let you grimace in private.”

“Good, thanks.” She muttered before walking away from him, Rowoon watched as the girl approached the nearby Starbucks and smiled to himself.

And then Dahye her heels and padded back towards him, Rowoon looked at her questioningly.

“Why? Is something wrong?” He leaned down when the girl gestured for him to.

“Thank you for buying me clothes.” She whispered before placing a quick peck on his cheek, the girl immediately ran away from him.

Rowoon chuckled and watched as she approached the counter again.

"How cute."

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++