017

Next To You

 

 

“Where are we?” Dani asked as they reached a building, Chani pushed the glass door and gestured for her to get inside.

“Dinner.”

“This looks like a condominium.” She stated, Rowoon headed for the elevators.

“It is.”

“Did you leave home?” She turned to Chani, her eyes as wide as saucers, the male shook his head.

“Hyung has his own hiding spot here.” He replied with a shrug, Dani turned to the male, her brows going up.

“It’s a little..home away from home kind of space, don’t give me that look.” Rowoon mused as the elevator doors pinged open. The three got inside and Dahye puffed her cheeks.

“The guys are already there, I asked them to buy food.”

“Are you cooking then?” Chani asked with a grin, the doors opened again and they let the girl step out first.

“Yes, I figured we all need a proper meal somehow. Here,” Rowoon reached for Dani’s arm and pulled her with him. The girl nodded and gently asked him to let go.

They reached his unit and Rowoon opened the door for them, Dani paused as soon as she got inside the unit. It was a studio type loft, but it was big enough to host a lot of guests.

“Hyung!” Chani went ahead and jogged towards the kitchen, Dahye paused and turned to the male.

“You never got to tell me what happened last night, are you okay?” She asked him, Rowoon put down a pair of slippers for her.

“We were having dinner out as well. Things got bad real quick.” Rowoon said as he took her bag from her, the girl nodded along.

“Is that why…”

“I ended up calling you because suddenly your words of wisdom were starting to make sense.” He said with a small smile, Dahye took off her jacket and handed it to him.

“You know it’s bad when I’m starting to make sense.” She said to him, Rowoon put her things aside and shrugged at her.

“I realized that you do have a point.”

“Huh?” Dahye balked at him, Rowoon chuckled and gestured for her to walk with him.

“Rowoon, no. I’m not a good voice of reason.” She said to him, she saw Taeyang and Hwiyoung by the stove.

“Things will have to fall into place eventually right? No matter how bad it is right now.”

She halted and grew pensive.

“It does make sense, Dahye.” Rowoon grinned and before taking her hand in his and giving it a small squeeze.

Dani chewed on the insides of her cheek.

“You do make sense, just not that stabbing part.” He said jokingly as he let go, she scrunched her nose in response.

“I’ll go make you something to eat before the kids burn down the place.”

“I’m guessing you’re the mom of the group.” Dahye mused at him, Rowoon chuckled and nodded.

“Make yourself at home, princess.” He said before rushing towards the kitchen.

 

 

 

Dahye leaned forward and appreciated the chilly breeze touching her cheeks.

Dani, I get that it’s worrisome, but…aren’t you..

“Overreacting?” She continued, the male from the other end chuckled.

I was searching for another word, but yeah, that works too.

I know, it was just one dinner and I may sound like I’m making things blow up, but you don’t understand how..this crazy world works, Paul.

How does it work?

That guy is the son of this huge banking group. Now, does it make sense?

Hyoseop turned quiet from the other line, Dahye exhaled and looked at the pleasant view of Seoul before her.

“My parents want me to marry him. And it wont take long till they start pushing that idea on me.” She pointed out, switching to Korean.

“And you’re blaming this on your brother?”

“Why do you think I got dragged back here?” She asked, she pressed her phone closer to her ear and frowned.

“It’s not his fault, Dani. He was just protecting~”

“Protecting the girlfriend who doesn’t want to go public with him, it’s like he’ssome dirty secret that she wants to hide.” She pointed out.

“Hmm, so this is the root of everything.”

Dahye sighed and ran her fingers through her hair.

“My brother deserves to be with someone who’s proud to be with him. He is not some…acne scar that you cover with a dollop Laura Mercier Camouflage concealer.” She reasoned out.

“Don’t hate her, babycakes. She probably has her reasons too.”

She rolled her eyes, she heard Hyoseop laugh from the other end.

“What about you? How are you doing?”

“Got into the swim team. I might survive everything here, school and work.”

“Oh, I know you’ll survive all of those, but I’m asking about that other thing.” He playfully hummed.

“Hyo~”

“The boy.” Hyoseop continued with another round of giggles, Dani pursed her lips and shook her head.

“I’m kind of over it, you know.”

“Wow, I don’t believe you.”

“I realized that he…he’s actually a good friend, I mean, he..understands, doesn’t hover and never attacks me with questions.”

“You mean, he gets you.” Hyoseop stated, Dani nodded and puffed her cheeks.

“Typical of you, Lee Dahye. Some guy catches your eye, you tiptoe around him and then you suddenly become friends. And poof! You are no longer into him.” Hyoseop continued, she smiled.

“I have to get back inside, I’ll see you in Seoul?”

“Who knows?” Hyoseop mused before ending the call, Dahye tucked her phone back in her jean pocket and made her way back into the unit.

“Oh, noona, the chicken’s almost done.” Hwiyoung said as he set the utensils on the table, she nodded at him and walked towards the kitchen. The girl paused when she saw Rowoon standing by stove, with a spatula in hand.

“You…cook.” She blurted out, he turned to her and tilted his head.

“He makes really good food, ice princess.” Zuho mused from the counter, Rowoon grinned at her.

“You’re just in time, try this.” Rowoon spoke, he picked up a spoon, he reached for her arm and gently pulled her towards him.

I’m over you.

But, must you always gets so handsy?

“What’s this?” She asked as she peeked at the bowl, Rowoon dipped in the spoon.

“Tofu stew, I adjusted the spiciness for you.” He said with a small smile as he gestured for her to open .

Zuho halted on his seat, his brows going up. What was his friend doing?

Dahye could only stare back at him.

“Can…I take the spoon?” She blurted out, Rowoon blinked at her and then he nodded.

Dani took the spoonful of the soup and put it down.

“How is it?” He asked excitedly as he leaned down to meet her gaze, Dani chewed on the insides of her cheek. He was standing too close, his face was too close to hers.

But it didn’t seem to bother him.

“I—It’s g—good. I’ll go w—wait with the guys.” She mumbled as she ran away from him.

Dani could almost hear Hyoseop laughing at her stuttering all the way from Canada.

 

 

 

“Ah, does that mean you’re finally going back to work?” Junhee said with a small smile as their food arrived, the two were enjoying dinner at a reserved dining hall.

“Well, kind of. I feel like I have to get back to working, my sister might really stop being my sister if I dont.” He said, Junhee chuckled and nodded.

Dawon exhaled and looked around them, somehow it had always felt weird eating with Junhee in such enclosed places, and usually he doesn’t let it bother him.

But now, it does.

“Junhee-ah,”

The girl’s eyes went to him.

“What..do you think about…being introduced to my parents? I would like for you to meet them.”

Junhee paused, she took a small sip from her wine.

“Why? Do you feel uncomfortable about doing this?” She asked him, Dawon chewed on his lower lip before speaking.

“I just…I just don’t think it’s proper that we keep on meeting like this. Always doing it in secret, I mean, I can’t even hold your hand when we’re outside.” He reasoned softly, he saw how the girl’s forehead creased.

“Can..Can you give me some time to think it over?”

“Of course, no rush.” Dawon smiled at her, the girl nodded and continued with her meal. He was about to talk again when his phone started to ring.

“I have to take this.” He said before standing up and stepping out of the room, Dawon took a deep breath before answering.

“Yes, eomma?”

“Where are you? Are you with Dani?”

“I’m out with some friends for dinner, Dani went with Chani, probably.” He fibbed, in reality, he had no idea where his sister was. The girl had blocked him.

“Oh, okay, I heard your sister would be handling that Hyundai project?”

“Yes, abeoji wants her take over that one, eomma.” Dawon murmured.

“The contract signing is tomorrow, and the press release party will be held the day after.”

“Yes,..but, why are you bringing this up?”

“Give the Cha son a call, invite him.”

Dawon almost tripped on the carpeted floor.

“Eomma, Dahye wont like~”

“Just give him a call and ask him to attend. That’s all, son.” She said with a chuckle as she ended the call.

Dawon pinched the bridge of his nose as he went back to the room.

 

 

 

Dahye’s eyes were on the TV screen as the boys continued to battle it out on the PlayStation. She was seated beside Chani, her legs curled underneath her.

“It’s getting quite late.” She murmured; the male turned to him.

“Do you want to go home already?” He asked her, the girl nodded, and she slowly stood up.

“Leaving so soon, ice princess?” Taeyang pouted at her, she snorted at him.

“It’s almost eleven, Taeyang. We have class tomorrow. And I have a meeting.”

“Psssh, so boring, our ice princess.” Zuho waved her off, Dahye chuckled and tied her hair up.

“I have to go, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She announced, Hwiyoung gave her a small wave before facing the screen again.

“Noona, I’ll~” Chani stopped when Rowoon stood up from the couch.

“I’ll walk you to your car, it’s dark outside.” He said as he picked up her coat and backpack. Dahye nudged Chani with her foot, the male didn’t react.

She nudged him again, Chani looked up and gave her a sly grin.

“Chani~”

“My stomach doesn’t feel so well.” He finally stood up, the girl narrowed her eyes at him, Chani simply strolled to the bathroom.

“Dahye-ah,” Rowoon called, the girl turned to him and got her jacket.

“You don’t have to, it’s~”

“You can’t argue with this one, come on.” Rowoon chuckled as he opened the door, the girl stepped out and he followed her.

“Dinner was great, thanks for having me.” She said as they walked towards the elevator.

“I was worried that you’d be uncomfortable having dinner at my place, thanks for coming.”

She shook her head and they got inside the machine.

“You have a work thing tomorrow? Does that mean I won’t be seeing you?” Rowoon asked her, he was still holding onto her backpack.

“Just for the first two periods.” She told him, the doors pinged open.

“Dahye is off to a field trip then.” He said lightly, the girl turned to him and chuckled.

“It’s not exactly a field trip, it’s a contract signing. Apparently, as punishment,” She spoke as while facing him, the girl was walking backwards now.

“I really have to finish this project thing.”

“Is it…difficult?” Rowoon asked, the girl shook her head.

“Not really, but..it’s something I didn’t see coming.” She shrugged, Rowoon reached out to hold onto her sleeve.

“Yes, just like the glass doors behind you.” He jokingly said, Dani turned and halted.

“I hope you feel better, Rowoon-ah. I guess, a few nights away from home will do you good.”

Rowoon paused, he turned his eyes to her as they walked towards her car.

“Hmm?”

“You’re usually chatty and all sunny, but today you were…quiet and all…blank.” She trailed off, Rowoon grew amused at her words.

“Blank?”

“I saw you almost run into Hwiyoung at the practice.” She pointed out, Rowoon shook his head, he paused when he noticed a figure standing near the girl’s Mercedes.

“Anyway, I have to go.” She nudged him and he let go of her sleeve.

“Y—Yeah, sure.” He handed her backpack to her and watched as the girl climbed into the vehicle, Rowoon gave her a smile as she rolled down windows.

“What now? Some more words of wisdom from my ice princess?” Rowoon mused, his eyes widened briefly at his words, but Dani just laughed.

He let out a mental sigh of relief.

“Not really, but you should go back inside, you left the oversized children unsupervised.” She said before driving away from the lot, Rowoon glanced around and the figure was gone.

He sighed and turned back to the building; he scratched the back of his head while murmuring to himself.

“My ice princess? How could I say that?”

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++