028

Next To You

 


“Have you guys ever considered going to a salad bar?” Dani asked, the girl was walking beside Chani.

“Oh, not that kind of bar.” Taeyang mused, she shot him a look.

“Do you feel like having salad?” Rowoon asked her, Chani snorted.

“No.” She replied quickly.

“Is barbeque okay then, noona?” Hwiyoung asked in reply, the four were making their way around the famous university belt that had a lot of restaurants.

“Yes, of course.” She mused, Chani glanced at the girl.

“What?” Dani murmured.

“Something happened, huh?”

“What~”

“Noona, you were running.” Chani pointed out, Dahye sighed and held onto his arm.

“I was watching the game, you know. Just watching, enjoying my time there and then~”

“Oh, would you look at that! It’s the soccer aces.”

They looked up, Jungho and the rest of the basketball team were standing right across them. Chani felt Dahye squeeze his arm and she slowly backed away.

“What does he want?” Taeyang sighed under his breath, Rowoon blinked when Dani collided against him.

“Dahye-ah,” Eunwoo’s eyes went to her, the girl looked up, her forehead creased for a moment. But she gave him a small nod.

“Hi.” She mumbled.

Rowoon looked at the girl, sensing her discomfort and then he gently pulled her behind him.

“I heard you guys won, congratulations.” Hwiyoung cleared his throat, Jungho chuckled before replying.

“Of course, we had to win. Your ice princess was watching us.”

“Don’t call her that.” Chani stated harshly. Eunwoo glanced at his friend and then his eyes went to Rowoon. Eunwoo knew that Dani was standing behind the his and his forehead creased when he noticed how the girl’s fingers were curled around the sleeve of Rowoon’s denim jacket.

Was she clinging onto Rowoon because she was hiding from him?

“Of course, my bad.” Jungho grinned at the younger male, Taeyang glanced at Rowoon briefly.

“We’ll get going then.” Rowoon spoke up, Eunwoo’s brows knitted together.

“Da~” Eunwoo started to speak.

“We’re going.” Rowoon cut him, all eyes went to the two, Eunwoo stopped and he shook his head.

The two males were staring at each other now, Chani stepped back, worried. It was there again, the tension between them. And it was getting obvious as to what was the reason behind it.

Or who was the reason behind it.

“Rowoon-ah.” Taeyang mumbled under his breath, he was getting antsy, even the rest of the basketball team had stopped joking around.

“I want talk to her.” Eunwoo spoke flatly. Dahye chewed on the insides of her cheeks.

Rowoon tilted his head at him, his jaw clenched and unclenched.

“I’m sure it can wait till tomorrow.” Dahye spoke up as she stepped forward and she let go of him, Rowoon’s eyes went to the back of her head.

“Dani,” Eunwoo’s eyes focused on her as he tried to reach for her arm, the girl pulled back and smiled.

Taeyang noticed how Rowoon’s lower jaw begun to jut out, a sure sign how bothered he was becoming.

“You know, if you look at it, Dahye’s protecting him from Rowoon.” Taeyang murmured, Hwiyoung elbowed him.

“Eunwoo, let’s talk tomorrow.” She said softly

“See? This is what I’m telling you about, team captain. Kim Rowoon is the problem here!” Jungho guffawed from behind Eunwoo, Rowoon glanced at him and the male shut his mouth.

“Dani, let me explain. I was just~”

“It can wait. I’m having dinner with them.”

“But you said you were needed at home.” Eunwoo told her, Rowoon’s eyes focused on Eunwoo again.

“Well, I changed my mind.” She finished, Chani heard the annoyance in her voice and he grew amused.

“Dahye-ah,” Eunwoo tried to reach for her hand again, but Rowoon put himself between the two, his back faced Eunwoo as he spoke to the girl.

“Let’s reserve a table for us, come on.” Rowoon said, Dahye nodded at him and let the male pull her away from Eunwoo.

Hwiyoung looked at Jungho again.

“Please, don’t get on his bad side.” He sighed as he walked with Taeyang to the restaurant. Eunwoo watched as the two walked together, Dahye was talking in hushed tones, while Rowoon was nodding along. His eyes went to their linked arms again, and his forehead creased.

“This isn’t it.” Eunwoo spat before leaving his teammates.

 

 

 

“You called us all here, on a precious Saturday because…” Youngbin trailed off with a sigh, Inseong glanced at Dawon.

Rowoon walked into the living room with Zuho and Jaeyoon.

“Good everyone’s here.” Dawon spoke.

“No. Dahye’s not here yet.” Zuho commented with a yawn, Taeyang strolled in with a cup of coffee in hand.

“What’s going on, hyung?” Rowoon spoke as he sat down beside Jaeyoon.

“Our parents left for Japan, they won’t be back till next week so,” Dawon halted when he heard footsteps on the stairs.

“Oppa, have you seen my phone?” Dani appeared, and then everyone politely looked away.

Except for Chani and Dawon.

“Noona,” Chani sighed, Dahye blinked at him.

“Oh, I didn’t know we were having the guys over. Wait, why is everyone here?” She asked as she draped the towel over shoulder. The girl was wearing an olive green bikini and a pair of flip flops.

“My phone~”

Dawon pointed towards the stairs.

“Chani have you seen~”

Chani pointed towards the stairs and shook his head at her.

“I am going for a swim and~”

“Dani, please.” Youngbin sighed from the couch, he was facing the wall.

“Fine.” She grumbled as she walked towards the steps again, she was stomping her feet as she climbed up.

“It’s just a bikini. Swimwear. You guys are so sensitive. It’s not like I get conscious when~” There was loud bang and it grew silent.

Inseong shook his head.

“So, sisters.” Dawon explained, Jaeyoon chuckled and nodded for him to continue.

“Junhee’s birthday is next week, and I was thinking if I could throw it here. At home.”

“That’s not a bad idea.” Inseong commented as he picked up his coffee.

“It got me thinking if I~”

“How about we throw it at her place?” Dahye reappeared again, clad in a pair of shirts and a shirt. Everyone grew silent, Rowoon’s eyes went to the girl, she grinned at him.

“You know, that big blue house. Oh, right, the Blue House isn’t really blue.” She said wanly, Taeyang and Inseong started to laugh.

“Dahye.” Dawon sighed at him, Rowoon chuckled and followed the girl to the kitchen. Dani exhaled as she walked towards the fridge.

“I’m usually a morning person, so don’t judge me yet.” She murmured as she felt his presence in the room.

“What are you having?” Rowoon asked as she poured herself some coffee.

“Last night, I’m..sorry about that sudden breakdown.” She said as she faced him, Rowoon shook his head and leaned against the counter.

“Eunwoo bothers you.”

“No, no, it’s not that. It’s what he said, Rowoon-ah. I don’t know how to process it.” She said as she crossed her arms, Rowoon chewed on the insides of his cheek before looking around them.

“How about a sandwich?” He asked, the girl nodded back at him. He grinned and went to the fridge.

“I mean, I like being friends with him. He doesn’t make it seem like it’s work.” She continued as she tried to reach for one of the cups on the upper shelf, the male looked at her.

“Work? You think of him as work?” Rowoon repeated as he stood behind her, he leaned forward and took the cup for the girl.

Dahye blinked at him as he took out some ham and vegetables from the fridge.

“He’s like a business connection. Right? I mean, kind of.” She murmured.

“So does that mean I’m work too?” He replied, Dahye quickly shook her head at him.

“That’s different, Denim Jacket. You’re a different case.” She murmured, Rowoon looked at her and smiled.

“He said..He thinks we should try.”

“Try?” Rowoon repeated as he started to slice someham, Dani looked at him and she grew silent. Rowoon looked up from the counter and his forehead furrowed.

“Hey, it’s okay. You can tell me anything.” He said softly, Dahye stood next to him and puffed her cheeks.

“I know.”

Rowoon playfully nudged her and she shook her head.

“He thinks that we should try doing what our parents suggested.”

Rowoon paused, his fingers hovered over the bread, Dani took a small piece of ham and nibbled on it.

“Like…going out with Cha Eunwoo?” He said to her, the girl nodded back in response.

“What d—did you say to him?” He asked.

“Well after that, my feet took me to the parking lot. Hence, my panting self running towards you so that I could get a ride home and escape that awkward situation.”

“Well, don’t you want to? I mean, try?” He cleared his throat as he spoke.

Dahye looked at him oddly before speaking.

“No.” She spat as she took another piece of ham again.

“O—Oh. Okay.” Rowoon murmured as he finished preparing the sandwich, and then he paused and smiled to himself.

“I mean, he’s not so bad. He’s Cha Eunwoo. He does well in school, he’s athletic, obviously. But…”

“Are we talking about boys now?” Rowoon turned to her, she chuckled and lifted herself onto the counter, she took the sandwich from him.

“Should we?” She replied, Rowoon scrunched his nose at her.

“It feels good to talk about it with someone.” She murmured as she started to eat, Rowoon pushed her coffee towards her.

“Does Dawon hyung know?”

“Not yet, I’ll fix this myself. She has a Junhee birthday party to plan. Thanks for this.”

“What if he gets…talk to your about this again?” Rowoon asked carefully.

“I doubt that, he’s probably just being pressured into liking me.” She shrugged, Rowoon’s brows rose and he crossed his arms.

I doubt it, Dahye-ah.

“But, Rowoon-ah,” The girl suddenly inched towards him and he paused as he felt her bare thighs touched the side of his left hand.

“Y—Yes?” He turned his head, his eyes widened at her sudden proximity and he slowly moved away from her.

“How did my brother and Junhee meet?”

“I—I’ll tell you later. E—Enjoy your breakfast. I—I’ll go back to the g—guys.” Rowoon blurted out before leaving the kitchen.

“What’s wrong with him?” Dahye murmured as she continued eating.

 

 

 

Rowoon was leaning against his car as he waited for Dahye to arrive.

Who am I kidding?

I can’t be friends with her.

He spotted a familiar Mercedes rolling in the parking lot and he straightened up.

“It used to be easy, you were just Dahye.” He murmured as he watched the girl slide down from her car, her eyes went to him and she smiled.

And your smile used to be just a smile.

But it doesn’t feel like that anymore.

“You. You disappeared on me.” She said as a form of greeting.

“I had to rush back home, here.” Rowoon handed her a can of her favorite grape juice, she smiled.

“Are you feeling better?”

“You mean, I don’t feel pressured at all with what Eunwoo told me? No. Am I worried that he might tell his parents about his idea? No, not at all.” She replied dryly, Rowoon couldn’t help but smile at her words.

tumblr_pz6iqkac8n1r12xzyo3_400.gifv

“I really hope he changes his mind about this, I have way too much on my plate right now.”

“We have that meeting on Wednesday. I am expecting that you come.” Rowoon said with a small nod.

“You mean, you’re demanding that I be there.” She shot back, Rowoon’s smile grew sheepish.

“Your words, not mine.” He said as they walked towards the campus building.

“I’m glad that you’re not running away from this, Hyundai. This is a good look on you.” She said jokingly as they went up the steps.

“Yes, sure. But running away from awkward situations isn’t a good look on you.” Rowoon said before running away from her.

“Hey!”

Rowoon was laughing as he made his way towards the elevator, Dahye exhaled and shook her head. She opened her can of juice and took a small sip.

Dahye narrowed her eyes at him as he reached the elevator, Rowoon grinned back and made room for her.

“This is a different brand.” She said as she offered the juice to him, Rowoon took a quick sip.

“Do you like it?”

“It’s good.” She replied, Rowoon nodded and cupped the side of her cheek briefly.

“Don’t let it bother you too much, Dahye-ah.” He said softly as the door closed before them, Dani glanced at him and she rolled her eyes.

“I’ll call if it does bother me.” She shot back.

“You better.”

 

 

 

Chani was smiling as he saw Dahye walking towards them, Zuho grinned and bumped fists with the girl.

“Are we eating out today?” She asked as she linked arms with him.

“Yes, Taeyang hyung and Hwiyoung are already at the restaurant.” Chani replied, Rowoon caught up with them.

“How did you find the exam, Hyundai?” She asked over her shoulder, Zuho grinned at the male.

“We can talk about it later, after eating.” Rowoon murmured, Dahye snorted.

“How’s class lately, Kang?” She asked as she leaned her head against his shoulder as they walked.

“Is it supposed to get better through time?” He replied sarcastically, she slapped his arm.

“Right, where are we~”

Dahye gasped when somebody took her arm and pulled her away from Chani, her eyes widened when she came face to face with Eunwoo.

Zuho halted as he looked at the two.

“E—Eunwoo-ah,” She blurted out, the male was still holding onto her.

“Is now a good time?” He asked her, his voice tone soft.

“Right now? Eunwoo, we’re going to get lunch.”

“I’ve been calling you the whole weekend, Dani. You never answered. You said we could talk.” Eunwoo stated, Rowoon’s brows rose.

“Eunwoo, people are looking.” Dahye tried to pull her arm back, but the male wouldn’t budge. Rowoon walked towards her, he was standing opposite Eunwoo now.

“Let go of her.” He spoke, Chani’s eyes widened as he heard the older male speak. Zuho grimaced and looked away.

“Why are you meddling into this? You’re just a business partner. Will you back off?”

“You’re hurting her.” Rowoon stated, his eyes were on Eunwoo’s fingers that were wrapped around Dahye’s wrist.

“Mind your own business, soccer boy.” Eunwoo spat, Chani and Zuho stilled as they saw how Rowoon’s lips quirked up.

“Eunwoo, please, let go.” She said, Eunwoo shook his head at her.

“You can’t do this, Dani. There’s no escaping what's bound to happen.” He said as he tried to pull her to him, Rowoon’s forehead creased.

“Let go of that hand.” He repeated, Rowoon’s voice had gone an octave deeper and that alarmed the girl.

“Eunwoo~” Dahye paused when she heard a loud steady purr of engine nearing them, she turned her head just as a black Ferrari 812 came careening towards them.

Chani started to grin as he looked at the vehicle.

The car pulled to a full stop just beside them, Rowoon looked at the vehicle oddly.

“We have to talk, Dahye. Let’s go.” Eunwoo tried to pull her with him, but Dani was staring at the car. Rowoon looked at her and noticed how she was starting to smile.

And then the driver slid down, his eyes went to them and he focused on Dahye.

“Babycakes, wow.” He commented as he went around the car and walked towards them, and then before anyone could react, he reached Dahye, he cupped her right cheek and kissed her left.

You look really good in that skirt.” He said as he pressed his forehead against hers.

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++