038

Next To You

 

“Oppa, what~”

Dawon suddenly moved, he leaned over to pick up something on the ground. Junhee followed his gaze and her eyes widened.

“That’s a camera.” She heard Hwiyoung speak, Dawon’s eyes turned to Jungho who was still struggling to get on his feet.

“Dawon, don’t~” Jaeyoon halted when the younger male took long strides towards the injured male and yanked him by the back of his shirt.

“Noona, I think it’s better you go.” Chani rushed to the girl, Junhee turned her head and saw her guards already approaching her.

“Chani, he~”

“We’ll take care of it, it’s better if you don’t get involved with this.” He reasoned, Junhee glanced at Dawon again. The male was standing over Jungho with the broken camera in hand.

“Call me later.”

Chani nodded, Junhee left with her guards and the male walked towards Dawon.

“Hyung, what~”

“He was taking pictures of her.” Zuho spoke, Taeyang reached them and he paused when Dawon tossed Jungho against the wall, the latter coughed.

“You sick bastard!” He spat as his fist connected with the male’s nose.

“Rowoon must have gotten to it first.” Jaeyoon said as he noticed how badly damaged it was, the older male checked the memory card slot and found it empty.

Chani looked at Jungho as he slid against the wall, they heard someone running towards them.

“What are you going?” It was Eunwoo, his eyes went to his teammate who was hunched down on the floor.

“Hyung,” He pushed Dawon away from Jungho.

“What are you doing? We have a game~”

“What am I doing?” Dawon let out a laugh, the younger male paused and then the camera was thrown at him.

Eunwoo halted, he grew confused as he looked at the broken camera.

“And you,” Dawon spoke, Taeyang nudged Jaeyoon worriedly.

“I won’t even stop my sister from getting back at you.”

“Hyung, this is what our parents~”

“You don’t know her.” Dawon said with a grin, he took a small step forward and Jungho groaned, the older male was stepping on his hand. Eunwoo panicked and tried to make him move, but Dawon slapped his hand off him.

“If you knew her well enough, you’d know that trapping her into this is going to backfire on you.”

“Daughters never gain power, hyung.” Eunwoo smirked at him, Chani grew alarmed.

“You’ll see.” Dawon said with a small grin, and then a loud distinctive crunch was heard, Jungho howled in pain.

 

 

 

Dahye stepped out from the pharmacy and walked towards the male, Rowoon was seated on the bench.

“I got the goods.” She murmured as she sat down beside him.

Rowoon nodded back, the girl pursed her lips as she opened the bottle of disinfectant.

“A part of me wants to tell you that you’ve got finals coming up this weekend, and you shouldn’t be injured. But then,” She took his hand and looked at his scratched knuckles.

“I realize that you use your feet for soccer. Not your fists. Well, not that anyone should be using fists.” She murmured as she gently applied some on his wounds, Rowoon flinched but he didn’t speak.

“Rowoon, I need you to talk to me. You’re about to drive me crazy.” She said conversationally as she searched for the ointment.

“Jungho…Jungho’s been following you, Dahye.”

The girl paused, she picked up a Q-tip and applied some ointment on his right knuckle.

“What are you~”

“I just realized it today. His shoes.”

Dahye looked up to meet his gaze, her forehead creased.

“I don’t..follow.”

“You never noticed, but Chani and I did. Someone lurking around the parking lot every morning, waiting for you to arrive. Even when you go to the library during late afternoons. During your practice too.”

“Is…that why you always..tagged along?”

“Was I being too much?” Rowoon replied worriedly, she shook her head and put his hand on his lap.

“You probably prevented him from coming up to me.”

Rowoon exhaled and nodded, Dahye leaned back on the bench and looked at her palms.

“He was taking photos, Dahye.”

The girl stilled for a moment, Rowoon shifted on his seat and stretched his hand to her. Dahye saw the bunch of broken SD cards in his palm.

“Is this..from..earlier?”

“Yes. I’m sorry, I was..seeing red, and I wanted him~”

Dahye took the bits of plastic from his hand and tossed them away.

“It’s fine, Rowoon. I mean, I’m not sorry that you did that to him. I’m a lot more worried that the school might…discipline you for that.”

Rowoon shrugged and crossed his arms.

“Which, you seem not to care about.” She nodded to herself, she looked at the male, noticing how his eyebrows were still knitted together.

“Can I give you a little thank you gift?” She asked him, she saw how Rowoon’s lips quirked up slightly but he didn’t turn to her.

“Turnips?”

Dahye smiled at the Animal Crossing reference, and then she scooted over and pressed her lips against his cheek.

Rowoon stilled and the girl pulled away from him.

“I’ll give you your turnips later. Now, we need to get back to school.” She said as she took the car key from him, Rowoon could only stare as the girl walked away from him.

He smiled to himself before lifting himself off the bench.

 

 

 

Dawon looked up as Dahye walked in the cafeteria, he sighed when she gave him a small smile.

Hey, I just heard about what happened.” Hyoseop rushed to the girl and enveloped him in a tight hug, he paused when he saw Rowoon coming up behind them. He’s eyes widened and he slowly untangled himself from the girl, but the male just nodded at him and took his seat.

Huh.” Hyoseop murmured, Dahye pushed him away.

“What happened? Why are you here?” She asked as she sat down beside her brother, Dawon turned to her and took her hand in his.

“Well, that sick bastard was sent to the ER. Chani claimed that he fell off the stairs and landed on a bunch of broken chairs.” Hyoseop said, Dahye blinked but she nodded.

“I’d buy it.” Rowoon commented, and then he stood up, Dahye turned to him. Dawon looked at the two and he smiled.

“I’ll go get us something to eat. Do you want a sandwich?” He asked her, the girl nodded back and he left.

“I had to talk to my seniors to make them….buy that story. But the hospital turned him away.”

“Huh?”

Dawon’s grin grew wider and he leaned back on his seat.

“But, why?”

Hyoseop jutted his lips towards Rowoon who was queuing for food.

“But, he was with me the whole time. How could he~” Dahye paused, remembering how Rowoon was on his phone when she left him for the pharmacy.

“Oh.” Dahye murmured.

“A couple of bruised ribs, a busted lip and his right hand was terribly broken. The only hospital that would take him is a good two-hour drive away. Not bad.” Hyoseop said casually, Dahye winced.

“Kim Rowoon’s bad side, say hello.” Dawon nodded at the girl, Hyoseop grinned at her.

“I’m waiting for Cha Eunwoo to be his next target actually.” Hyoseop continued, Dahye groaned at the two. She slid down from her chair and jogged towards the male, Hyoseop watched as Rowoon leaned sideways as the girl came up to him.

Dahye was talking and he was nodding along, and then she tugged on the sleeve of his coat. Rowoon nodded again and he let out a small chuckle.

“I’m guessing she can handle his bad side?”

“Rowoon has always treated her well, you know. He knows that someone like my sister needs space, and I don’t know how he did it, but he got her to trust him. A lot.”

 

 

 

Dahye tied her hair up as she faced her parents.

“Daughter, believe me when I say that we had no idea that the Chas would do this.” The chairman spoke, Dawon scratched the back of his neck as he looked on.

“Aboeji, I understand. You told me that the moment oppa and I got home.” Dahye spoke, she looked at her mother who was frowning on her seat.

“We already spoke with the Chas. They’re going to take that announcement back and have the other articles taken down.”

“We already have that taken care of, abeoji.” Dawon said dryly, unamused.

“Don’t act as if we don’t know what you did today, Dawon.”

“Oppa did great, abeoji.”

“He stepped on an a young man’s hand causing for his bones to break.”

“Do you want to know what he was doing before that?” Dawon asked, Dahye sighed and nudged him.

“Dahye~

“Let’s discuss that later, oppa.” She grumbled; Mrs. Lee looked at her two children.

“Why? Was this other student bothering you, Dahye-ah?”

“Well, kind of, eomma. But, oppa~”

“Just what did this boy do? I heard Hyundai prevented hospitals from taking him in. Did he mess with Rowoon too?” Mr. Kim spoke, Dawon saw his sister grimace on her seat.

“No, Rowoon did that because he was bothering Dahye.” Dawon announced, the girl’s eyes went to him and the elders started to smile.

“Oh.” Mrs. Kim nodded, pleased.

“Eomma, we’re just~”

“Friends. Yes. Sure, daughter.” She said slyly, Dahye shook her head at them.

“I don’t want to be anywhere near Cha Eunwoo, abeoji.” She stated, the elder paused and he slowly nodded back.

“I understand that he decided on something without telling you.”

“So, darling, about Rowoon,” Mrs. Kim begun, Dahye shook her head at the elder.

“Come on, I should have realized it the moment~”

“I want us to release a statement, abeoji. I don’t like how Eunwoo did this, so I think I have to explain my side. I have people coming up to me randomly wanting an interview. I hate it.”

“You see, your sister has always been like this. Cold-hearted.” Mrs. Kim murmured to her son, Dawon grew amused.

“Okay, I’ll let you do what you want, Dahye.”

“So, can we talk about Rowoon now?” Mrs. Kim chirped, Dahye exhaled and faced her mother.

“Eomma, you set me up on this blind date with Eunwoo. We can’t talk about Rowoon.”

“But, I had no idea that Eunwoo would do this! It’s your fault for being too pretty!”

“Ew.” Dawon grimaced.

“We can talk about Rowoon later. Like, later, later. I just want to have dinner peacefully.”

“But, Dani, this~”

“Dinner. Peacefully. Please.”

Dawon grinned at his parents as they both focused on their meals instead.

His little sister always had the power to control the entire household.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++