023

Next To You

 

 

Are you leaving for the press party?”

Rowoon paused, he was already standing by his car.

“I have to be there.”

“Hyung.” Chani said with slight smile as he stood beside him.

“I’m not going to mention how you seem..more active with your father’s company, because I kind of have a gut feeling why or who got you interested.”

“Chani~”

“But,” Chani continued, not letting the older male speak.

“I like this look on you, hyung.”

“What are you talking about?” Rowoon blurted out, he unlocked the Audi and he put his backpack and duffel inside.

“You always did seem so bored with everything, school was just okay to you, you rarely got excited over things. Well, we have soccer, but you know.”

I’m not bored.”

“Let me rephrase it, Dani noona has got you on your toes. And, you started to change slightly, you no longer make it seem like going to school was tedious, and soccer got a bit more exciting for you, hyung. I mean, you react to things now.”

Why do you make it sound like I’m a robot?” Rowoon replied with a dry tone.

“Hyung, I know you feel it too. But that Cha Eunwoo is interested in her.”

“Ch~”

“He came to me a few days ago, asking if noona and I have something going on.”

Rowoon grew amused and shook his head.

“Good for you, you understand. But most guys don’t. So, tell me, Kim Rowoon, why would he ask that?” Chani continued, the older one grew quiet.

“He got interested, hyung. And I think..he’ll use that arrangement between their parents for his benefit.”

“Dahye doesn’t like that.”

“And, so do you.” Chani said, Rowoon looked away.

“You’re also interested in her. I can see it.” Chani added, Rowoon his lips before speaking.

“I am.” He said, Chani’s grin grew wider.

Then, go ask her out.”

“She’s Dawon hyung’s sister, are you crazy?” Rowoon glanced at him.

“You already care for her, hyung. Why not just go all out?” Chani said as he leaned against the car, Rowoon eyed him warily.

“She’s..a really good friend, Chani. I don’t want to risk it.” Rowoon said, the other male could hear the doubt in his voice.

“What do you mean? You already care too much.”

Rowoon looked at his shoes and didn’t speak.

“You better do something, Cha Eunwoo seems to be serious this time.”

Chani~”

“What are you so worried about? It’s just Dahye noona.” He mused before pushing himself off the car, Chani slapped his arm and walked towards his own vehicle.

“That’s the problem. It’s Dahye.” Rowoon sighed as he got inside his car.

 

 

 

Dawon looked up when he saw Eunwoo walk in, he made his way towards the male quickly.

“Eunwoo-ah,” He greeted him, and then he heard Dahye’s voice from behind the doors. Dawon turned his eyes to the doors and there was his sister, she was chatting with Rowoon as other Hyundai staff hurried towards the two.

Dawon halted, Junhee’s words started to echo in his head.

His sister was talking animatedly, Rowoon was nodding along, smiling as he watched her speak. His brows went up and then he felt Eunwoo patting her shoulder.

“What is it, hyung?”

“H—Hey, I thought you and Dani went up together.”

“Oh, we did. But, she got busy.” Eunwoo replied with a small smile, Dawon nodded back, a little clueless.

“Look, Eunwoo-ah, I’m pretty sure you know what our parents are up too,” He said as he discreetly pulled the male aside.

“Believe me, hyung, Dahye also knows.” Eunwoo replied, Dawon was about to talk when he heard Rowoon’s voice behind him.

“Hyung,”

Dawon faced the younger male and nodded at him.

“This is why she got busy.” Eunwoo added, the slight edge in his tone made the older male pause again. Rowoon’s eyes went to the other male, his brows going up.

“Naturally. We’re working together.” Rowoon replied, Dawon glanced at his friend.

“But we were talking. I got to her first earlier.” Eunwoo said with a very neutral smile. Dawon quickly glanced around them, searching for his sister.

“She was waiting for me downstairs.” Rowoon replied as he buried his hands in his pockets.

“Really?” Eunwoo’s lips quirked up and his jaw grew taut ever so slightly, Dawon wanted to run away from them.

“Really.” Rowoon said evenly, and then before Dawon could speak, his sister suddenly appeared before them.

“Oppa, abeoji needs you by that ice sculpture thing. He says that CJ Group president is there.” She replied.

“Good! Great! Thanks, Dahye-ah! Bye!” Dawon said as he ran away from them, the girl grew confused as she watched her brother scramble away from them.

“What was that?” She looked at the two, Eunwoo shrugged at her before stepping away from them.

“Eunwoo-ah,” Dahye tried to call for him, but Rowoon gently steered her towards the front, she felt his fingers around her wrist.

“We have work to do, ice princess.” He said with a small grin, she sighed at him.

“Even here? I’m still ice princess?” She murmured, Rowoon let go of her and smiled.

“Yes, always.” He said, he glanced over his shoulder as he felt Eunwoo’s gaze on him. The male was staring back at him as he picked up a drink from a waiter.

“Rowoon-ah,”

Rowoon turned his gaze to the girl.

“Y—Yes?”

“Let’s do well.” She chuckled before bumping fists with him, Rowoon nodded back and watched as the girl take her seat. He let out a shaky breath and followed her.

 

 

 

Dahye watched from the back as the press took photos of her father and the Hyundai chairman, thankfully, they were excused from the conference.

“Dahye,” Her mother approached her, the girl looked at her before sighing.

“Why?”

“Is it true? Your brother has a girlfriend? Do you know about this?”

That made her pause, and she turned to face the elder.

“H—How did you know?”

“He mentioned it earlier, your brother was so aggravated because we asked Eunwoo to be here, he said something about not telling us about the girl and something.” The lady trailed off, Dahye started to shake her head.

“Eomma, that is oppa’s business. Why are you asking me?”

“You two are the same, always covering up for each other and~”

“Dani,”

The two women paused, and Mrs. Lee broke into a smile as she realized it was Eunwoo who had walked up to them.

“We’ll talk about this later.” She said softly before leaving the two young ones, Dani faced the male and shrugged.

“You’re good at this.” Eunwoo said, Dahye snorted in reply.

“I try.”

“I’m..sorry if I was interrupting earlier. I didn’t know~”

“What are you talking about? It was just Rowoon.”

Eunwoo paused, and he nodded back.

“Right. Just Rowoon.”

“Well, I hope you enjoyed this big gathering of boring people as they talk about the project. Truthfully, I don’t understand why they let me do this.”

“This thing with Hyundai? You’ll be working on it?” Eunwoo blinked at her, she nodded back.

“Yes.”

“So, Rowoon…he’s also working with you?”

“I..don’t know. It’s up to him to~” Dani’s eyes went across the party, Rowoon was chatting with her mother and Dawon. And then, as if feeling her gaze, he turned his head and looked at her.

da8e5db2a750bd14c18642a2c9f9963fee49e4ed.gif

“It’s up to him if he wants to do it.” She finished as she looked away from Rowoon, her palm went to her stomach and she pressed his lips together.

“Are you okay?” Eunwoo noticed her movement and he tried to reach for her arm, but the girl stepped back.

“N—No, I just need to use the restroom. Excuse me.” She said before quietly making her way out of the party.

 

 

 

Dahye looked at her reflection and shook her head.

“I can’t do this. I want to go home.” She murmured as she leaned her palms on the counter.

“Why is he not coming here?” Dani added with a groan, she reached for her purse and started to search for her phone. The girl paused, realizing she had left her phone on the table at the party.

Dani let out another groan again, she was about to leave the restroom when the door was suddenly shut close. She quickly got to the door and tried turning the knobs, but it was locked.

The girl started to grow confused, and then she realized that she was alone inside the restroom.

“Is anyone~” The girl jumped when all the lights went out, that was when she started to panic.

“This is…This is why women must go in groups.” She grumbled to herself as she tried for the doorknob again, but still nothing.

The girl started to loudly bang her palm against the door.

“Oppa! Dawon oppa! Is anyone out there!” She called out, the girl tugged on the collar of her dress, she was starting to sweat.

“Oppa!” She yelled again, and then she heard a voice.

“Look at you, all alone. So helpless.”

She felt the hairs on her back rise, she walked towards the stalls again and noticed that one was closed.

“Wh—Who are you?!”

The voice started to laugh manically, Dahye stepped back from the door.

“Come out!”

“You want me to? Really? Are you prepared? Remember,”

Dani started to frantically look around for a weapon, or anything to protect herself with.

“You don’t have your bunch of jocks to protect you here. It’s just me and you, darling.”

The door started to creak open, Dani made a run for the doors.

“Oppa!” She started slamming her palms against the hard wood.

“Dawon~”

“Dahye?”

She stilled, feeling relief wash over her.

“R—Rowoon-ah, the door’s locked!”

“I know, step back from the door!” He yelled back, the girl stepped away from the door. And then the knob started to shake as continuous loud bangs echoed throughout the restroom,

“I’d love to hear you scream my name when I finally have you to myself, Dani.” The voice whispered again; the girl started to shake.

“Rowoon!” She shouted again, and then a part of the doorknob landed on the floor with a loud clink. The door swung open and the girl immediately dashed out of the restroom.

“Dahye!” Rowoon flinched when the girl collided against him, Dahye wasn’t speaking as she buried her face against the front of his shirt.

“What happened?” Dawon came rushing towards them, Rowoon slowly wrapped his arms around her, he could feel the girl shaking under his hold.

“I—I…the door was locked and..” She was panting as she gripped onto his coat tightly.

“The lights went out..and someone was..inside with me, I heard his voice.”

“What?” Dawon grew concerned, Dahye looked up, Rowoon’s eyes were on the restroom doors.

“Is someone inside, hyung?” He called out as he cupped the back of her head, not wanting her to face the restroom again.

“No, it’s empty. Are you sure, Dani?” Dawon appeared by the doorway again, Dani let out a shaky breath before letting go of Rowoon.

Rowoon was looking at her worriedly.

“He was saying all these..weird things, oppa. I’m sure.” She stated as she wrapped her arms around her, Rowoon looked at the older male meaningfully.

“I’ll talk with the hotel’s security if the cameras caught something. Will you be okay with Rowoon?” Dawon asked as he shook off his coat and draped it around her.

“I..I’ll just drive~”

“No, you’re going with me. I’ll drive her, hyung.” Rowoon intervened, Dani nodded without looking at him.

“I’ll see you later.” Dawon patted her cheek before walking away from them, the girl let out another shaky breath and ran her fingers through her hair.

“Are you sure you can still go to the meet?” Rowoon asked her, his forehead crumpled with concern.

“I got makeup all over your suit.” She replied as she looked up to face him.

“Dahye,” Rowoon sighed at her, the girl glanced behind her again.

“I have to get to school, Rowoon-ah.” She said as she poked his arm, he pursed his lips.

“Okay, we’ll go to school.” He gave in, the girl was about to speak when he reached out, grabbed her wrist and pulled her to his chest.

“Let’s get out of here.” He said softly as he leaned his chin on the crown of her head, his thoughts went back to the other night a few days ago. There was a dark figure that was lurking near her parked car.

Dani nodded in response, Rowoon let out a shaky breath, he pressed his nose against her hair before pulling away.

“Time to go.” He said as he pulled her with him towards the elevators, he let her go inside first before discreetly taking his phone out of his pocket. The Hyundai son typed in a quick text and waited for the doors to close before them.

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++