035

Next To You

 

 

Rowoon saw the remote-control land on the floor with a thud and he followed the girl’s gaze. His eyes widened as he read the headline below the anchorwoman.

“Dahye~”

“Don’t.” She turned to him, Rowoon’s forehead creased as he looked at the girl, her eyes were on the crowd at the garden.

“What was that? How come~”

“I don’t know. I…don’t know, but they’re having fun, Rowoon-ah.”

“Dahye, Eunwoo could have set this up, your brother has to know.” Rowoon stated, he noticed how her lower lip was quivering. Rowoon frowned as he held onto her shoulders, she wouldn’t meet his gaze.

“Hyung has~”

Dahye picked up the remote again and switched the TV off, she her lips before speaking.

“Later. It’s his girlfriend’s birthday and he spent so much time to prepare this. I…I just need some air.” She murmured as she wriggled free from his grasp.

“Dahye~”

“I need to step out for a bit.” She said, Rowoon felt her palm against his cheek briefly. And she backed away from him, Rowoon swallowed, not knowing what to do.

“Alone?” He voiced, the girl nodded and jogged for the doors. Rowoon puffed her cheeks, he glanced at the party before padding after the girl.

“Dahye, wait~” He halted when he saw a Ferrari pulling over, Hyoseop was all smiled as he went down from his car.

“Babycakes~” He halted when Dahye sidestepped him and the girl wordlessly got inside his car. Hyoseop could only watch in confusion as the Ferrari zoomed away from them.

“What..was that?” Hyoseop turned to the other male, Rowoon exhaled before speaking.

“She’s engaged.”

 

 

 

Dahye looked at her phone again, she had a strong feeling that her brother had finally caught up with the news. She exhaled and chucked her phone back inside the car, she stared at the wrought iron gates again.

“Young miss, you can go inside.” The guard spoke again, he looked worried.

“No. Tell him I want to talk to him. Here.” She replied firmly, the two males sighed and walked back to the property.

She crossed her arms and pursed her lips; it was getting a little chilly out. She had stepped out from the house wearing a slinky silk dress that was not meant to be worn outdoors.

“Dahye.”

She looked up and saw Eunwoo stepping out through the gates, he had a small smile on his face.

“I’m going to assume that you are behind this.”

“It’s because you wouldn’t listen to me when I wanted to talk. I had no choice but to reach you that way.”

“That way? Your way could potentially destroy business relations, Eunwoo.”

“Why? You’re going to marry me anyway.” He let out a small chuckle, Dahye couldn’t help but scoff.

“Bull.” She replied, Eunwoo looked at her.

“I don’t get you, Dahye. It’s what our parents want. We can delay it but that doesn’t mean~”

“You got all that from a single blind date? Are you crazy?” She hissed at him, Eunwoo tilted his head at her.

“This is all because of him, huh?”

“What~”

“Rowoon. Of course, you are soccer girl after all. You’ll always go to him!”

“This is funny because you’re dragging him into this. What did he ever do to you?”

“You’re choosing him over me!”

“Why would I choose you?” She replied, Eunwoo froze, Dahye noticed how his forehead creased.

“Stop this, Eunwoo. I’m warning you.”

“What are you going to do, run to Hyundai? Have him fix me up or something?”

“No.” Dahye took a step closer to him and dusted off the imaginary lint on his shoulders.

“You’re going to find yourself going against me.” She smirked before turning towards the car, Eunwoo grabbed her by the arm.

“He’s not going to win this time.” He spat, Dahye paused at his words.

“Hmm, and now it makes sense.” She replied as she pushed him off her and got inside the vehicle.

 

 

 

“Well, this is…bad.” Inseong murmured, Jaeyoon turned to Dawon.

“Did she say anything before leaving?” Dawon turned to Hyoseop, the latter shook his head.

“I..didnt really get to talk to her. But, Rowoon was running after her.”

Chani exhaled and crossed his arms, Rowoon had left minutes earlier, it was clear that the older male was worried.

Well, everyone was.

“Do you think Eunwoo arranged this? Did he talk his parents into announcing this?” Hwiyoung asked, Youngbin shook his head.

“There’s…a possibility.” Zuho blurted out, eyes went to him and he leaned against the counter. The boys had gathered in the kitchen to talk, they didn’t want to disturb Junhee and her friends.

“What do you mean?” Taeyang asked, Hyoseop sat down one of the stools and leaned against the counter.

“It was last year, I think. But there was this competition at school. Do you remember that?” Zuho looked at Chani, the male tilted his head.

“Ah, that! Each team were to send this representative. We sent Rowoon hyung.” Hwiyoung nodded.

“Eunwoo represented the basketball varsity then. The competition started, it was a weekly thing. Athletes were challenged to different sports too. And, they ended up the only two left.” Zuho continued.

“The school still does this? So, they competed against each other?” Inseong asked.

“Yes, hyung. Swimming, their own sports, and Volleyball. Eunwoo was kind of leading the game, but there was a popularity poll at the end.” Zuho said, Chani started nod slowly.

“He was already claiming that he had won. But, Rowoon took over the popularity poll. And, he won by two points.”

“Oh. So, he’s that petty.” Hyoseop blurted out, Chani turned to him and shook his head.

“Well, Rowoon’s always been popular with girls.” Youngbin nodded.

“And, that time, Eunwoo was trying to woo a girl from the Chemistry division. And, this girl ended up confessing to Rowoon, and he witnessed that.”

“Oh.” Dawon blinked.

“Oh, double whammy.” Hyoseop murmured, Dawon sent him a dry look.

“This is a competition to him.” Chani stated, Jaeyoon groaned and shook his head.

“What a pig.” Inseong commented.

“Noona’s a prize to him. He’s using her to win against Rowoon hyung.” Hwiyoung murmured as he picked up his drink.

“I know you guys would worry about Dahye right now, I mean, usually that’s how it is. But, if you look at it,” Hyoseop spoke as he pushed himself off the counter.

“Once she realizes all this, that basketball dude is in big trouble. She’ll come for him.”

 

 

 

Dahye looked at the starless sky and shook her head.

“I come home here, hoping to finish school smoothly, help my brother out. And live as peacefully as I can and,” She sighed and leaned against the car again.

“I have a feeling that I’m stuck in between some sort of sick competition between two boys.”

Nice, very nice, Dani.

But we all know who you’re going to choose.

Not that you have to.

She shuddered and ran her fingers through her air.

Oh my god, I am disgusting.

“This is why I don’t like silk.” She murmured as she wrapped her arms around herself, and then the girl yelped when she felt someone stand beside her.

“You forgot this.” Rowoon said casually, he was holding onto something wide and familiar in his hand.

“Thanks?” Dahye blinked as she took the Nintendo console from him, she looked around them.

“H—How did you even find me here?” She murmured, Rowoon turned to her with a small smile, and then he gently pulled the girl to him and wrapped his arms around her.

“I figured you’d find comfort in a library, but it’s closed now. So, you’re at the parking lot.” He murmured as he rubbed her back soothingly, he could sense how angry she was. But Dahye was always good at holding it in, but it always showed on her face. Dahye puffed her cheeks and blew a raspberry, he let out a small chuckle and dropped his arms to his sides.

“Huh.” She said as she the Switch, Rowoon looked at the girl before shaking off his jacket.

“But, you need this more.” He commented as he draped the piece of clothing around her frame. Dahye glanced at him and her brows furrowed together.

“What a way to end the night, huh?” She said sarcastically.

“Are you okay?”

“You and Eunwoo have beef.”

Rowoon paused, he could feel the girl’s gaze on him.

“We…don’t get along so much.”

“I had a feeling about that.” She murmured as she stared at the screen, Rowoon watched as the girl put it away and pulled the jacket closer to her.
“Did you talk to him?”

“I went to their house. Before you tell me that I shouldn’t have, trust me, I’m already regretting it.” She explained, Rowoon shook his head, he felt the girl lean against him and she sighed.

“In a way he did admit that he’s behind that news article. I just…didn’t know he’d do this. I didn’t expect this from him.”

“He wants you.” Rowoon said, his pursed his lips and exhaled.

“I didn’t know it would get this bad. I don’t even want to know where this is going to go.” She said softly.

“What did he say?”

“He said he’s going to win this time.” She mumbled, Rowoon felt the side of her head press against his arm and he smiled to himself.

“Is he?”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++