030

Next To You

 

Dawon smiled as Junhee got inside his car, the girl set her bag down before facing him.

“You know, the most interesting thing happened today.” She started, Dawon paused.

“What?”

Junhee kissed his cheek before continuing.

“I was on my way to my next class, when I saw Dani with the guys, you know, as usual.”

Dawon nodded along.

“She’s always with Rowoon or Chani, but usually with Rowoon during class hours. But today, she was with Chani. And then Cha Eunwoo suddenly appears.”

“Eunwoo?”

“Yes, and, oppa, it was like a scene from a drama, you should have seen it.”

Dawon grew amused, Junhee’s excitement was very evident.

“He grabbed her arm, and for a moment I was worried that Dani would knee him, you know. I feel like it’s something she would do,”

“Oh, that is something she would do.” Dawon murmured, Junhee chuckled.

“But then, Rowoon kind of stepped in.” Junhee said while clapping her hands in glee, Dawon laughed.

“So, you’re still pushing the whole Rowoon has googly eyes for her thing?”

”I don’t have to push it. It is happening, anyway,”

“It looked like Rowoon was asking to let go of her, but Eunwoo wouldn’t budge. It was my first time seeing him like that, he looked pissed, oppa.”

“So, did he grab her too? And did like, a very masochistic tug of war over my sister?” Dawon said jokingly as he drove out of the campus property.

“No, Rowoon didn’t grab her, he just spoke to him. Which is very nice, you know. Rowoon’s always been respectful to women like that.”

“So, did Eunwoo ever let go?”

“He did, this guy with a Ferrari arrived and kissed her.” Junhee shrugged, Dawon stepped on the brakes.

“What?!”

 

 

 

“You know, when someone dozes off like that, you kind of have to wake them up.” Dahye pointed out as she put her laptop back in her backpack.

“You seem tired, Dahye.” Rowoon said calmly, he glanced over his shoulder and noticed that some male students were staring at them.

No, they were staring at Dani’s legs, which she had crossed over the other.

“Still, you never answered my questions, Hyundai. How have you been?” She asked, she paused when Rowoon draped his jacket over her lap.

“We made it to finals, but you already know that.”

“I meant with Hyundai. Who cares about soccer?” She playfully said with a scoff, Rowoon scrunched his nose at her.

“Oh, is it bad?” She frowned, Rowoon shook his head before speaking.

“It’s…actually okay, I mean, I do have reports and files I have to check almost daily. And, abeoji thinks its time I show up at the company too.”

“Oh, you’re getting there. Kim Rowoon in a power suit.” She mused, Rowoon leaned back on his seat and his lips.

“Hey, Rowoon-ah,” The girl turned to him, sensing his discomfort.

“Baby steps, you’re going to be fine.”

“I can’t…preside over all that, Dahye.” He mumbled.

“I don’t think our parents expect us to learn everything quickly. I mean, it’s not easy, but not impossible. I mean, look at my brother.” She said softly, Rowoon faced her and he smiled.

“Using Dawon hyung as an example is kind of contradicting, my ice princess.” He murmured as he unthinkingly reached out to cup her cheek briefly, Dahye blinked at him before shrugging.

“I know, it’s not like I had other options.” She scratched the back of her head, Rowoon chuckled he gave her hand a small squeeze before gathering his things.

“We should go, it’s already dark out.” He suggested, the girl nodded and stood up.

“How’s the party preparations going along?” Rowoon asked as they made their way towards the exit. He scanned the doors for a short moment before looking at her.

“Oppa loves her. That’s all I can say about that.” She said as they stepped out.

“You! How could you?”

Dahye amost tripped on the steps in surprise, Rowoon caught her arm and steadied the girl. Dahye looked up, and realized that the Kim elders were looking at them.

“I asked you to be at the meeting for me, and what did you do? You’re still loitering around campus!” His father was turning red, Dahye started to panic. Her eyes went to Rowoon’s mother, the lady was wincing as her husband yelled at their son.

“Abeoji, I~”

“What? What excuse are you going to feed us now?” He shot back, Dahye closed her eyes briefly.

“W—Well, uncle,” She took a step forward, the elder’s eyes focused on her and he paused.

“Dahye-ah, how come you two are~”

“Actually, I begged Rowoon to stay, I badly needed help with our write-ups for class. I didn’t know he was busy this afternoon. I’m really sorry.” She said apologetically, she reached for Rowoon’s hand behind her and held onto it.

“R—Really?”

“See, honey? He was with Dahye because she needed help with school.” Mrs. Kim said chidingly.

“Yes, it’s difficult having to adjust in a new environment, uncle. I’m really sorry for getting in the way.”

Rowoon was staring at the girl as she spoke with his parents.

“No, no, dear. It’s fine. It’s good that he offered to help you. But, it’s already late.” Mr. Kim said, he checked the time on her wristwatch.

“Ah, yes. Then, I’ll get~”

“How about you have dinner with us, Dahye-ah?” Mr. Kim asked her with a smile, Dahye blinked at the elder.

“Yes, have dinner with us, dear.”
 

 

 

Eunwoo looked at his parents, his mother had sent her utensils down.

“I don’t understand, son. You were so against this just recently.” She said with concern.

“Well, it’s not like I can escape this, eomma.” He replied, he felt his father’s gaze on him and the elder cleared his threat.

“Have you spoken to the LeeSan young lady about this?” He asked, Eunwoo nodded back.

“Yes, abeoji, Dahye and I have been talking a lot.” He said as he looked at his plate, Eunwoo's forehead creased briefly but he saw how his father was nodding to himself.

“You seem already decided on this, Eunwoo-ah.” Mrs. Cha commented as she picked up her water, Eunwoo exhaled before smiling at his parents.

“Yes.”

His father started to smile and continued with his meal.

"See? We always know what's best for you, son. And, it's nice that Dahye seems to know this as well. Your union with her will be healthy for company too."

“Then, I’ll get in contact with the Lees tomorrow. You should invite Dahye over sometime, son.”

“Invite her?” Eunwoo blinked, his fists curled on his lap.

“Of course, I’d like to hear what she thinks about this too. It’s nice she’s willing to be with you.”

“How about we surprise her, eomma? Wouldn’t be that better? It's good press too.”

The Cha elders paused, the lady slowly nodded and reached out to pat her son’s hand.

“Good idea, son. I’ll make arrangements for that to happen.”

"Yes, thanks, abeoji."

 

 

 

Dahye fidgeted on her seat as their food was being served.

“I feel like I barged into your family dinner.” She whispered, Rowoon smiled and shook his head.

“You should have woken me up.” She mumbled.

“Dahye, it’s okay.”

Mrs. Kim was looking at the two from across the table, and she couldn’t help but smile as she watched the two.

“So, Dahye-ah, how are you lately?” Mr. Kim spoke.

“It depends, uncle. Are you asking about school or work?” She said, the elder laughed and shook his head.

“Of course, school. It’s more important.”

Rowoon wanted to roll his eyes.

“It hasn’t been easy, uncle. But I’m trying to keep up with everything,”

“Dahye does competitive swimming.” Rowoon begun as he picked up his steak knife.

“Oh, wow, really?” Mrs. Kim chimed in, Dahye nodded ruefully.

“I’m trying to be good at it again, auntie.”

“Right, are your parents in town? I have something to discuss with your father regarding the project,”

“They left a few days ago, uncle. But, if it’s urgent, my brother is already back in his office. Or, maybe I can help.” Dahye said as she picked up her fork, she paused when she looked at her plate.

Rowoon followed her gaze, he wiped his lips with the napkin.

“Do you need help with that?” He asked, Dahye was about to decline but he leaned in and started slicing her steak for her.

“Can you make them smaller?” She said softly, Rowoon nodded back. Mrs. Kim nudged her husband, the latter blinked at her.

“What?” He mouthed back; his wife jutted her lips towards the two youngsters.

“I thought you wanted potatoes to go with this.” Rowoon spoke, he turned to her briefly.

“I changed my mind, can you take the carrots too?” She said with a sheepish grin.

“They’re actually really good, Dahye. If you give them a chance.” He said jokingly, Dahye eyed him warily.

“Rowoon-ah, you should drive her home.” Mrs. Kim cleared .

“Actually, I’ve been doing that a lot lately.” Rowoon shrugged non-chalantly, Dahye had to elbow him.

“You do not.”

“What about that other time when you were running away from a certain team ca~”

“Fine, fine. You’ve been driving me around a lot lately. Thanks.” She grumbled, Rowoon grinned and just pushed her plate back to her.

“Eat up.” He said while chuckling, Mr. Kim’s brows went up and he looked at his wife. Their son was never playful around them, in fact, Rowoon was not the type to tease someone like this. He looked so at ease with the LeeSan girl, in fact, he was comfortable around her.

“So, Dahye, darling,” Mrs. Kim asked as she leaned her chin on her hand.

“Yes, auntie?”

“Are you currently single?”

Mr. Kim and his son started choking on their steaks.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++