002

Next To You

 

“Where were you?” Taeyang asked as he hooked his arm around the younger male’s neck, Chani shook his head at his friend.

“I had to pick up a guest. I thought you guys have an exam today.” He said, Zuho shook his head at him.

“Rowoon called, he wants to try this new ramen place just a few blocks away. Should we call the grandpas to join us?” Zuho spoke as they went down the steps, Chani saw Rowoon and Hwiyoung waiting by their cars at the parking lot.

“Inseong hyung is out of town.” Taeyang stated as they approached their friends.

“I’m pretty sure Dawon hyung will be preoccupied too, I guess it’s better if its just us.” Chani mused, the two turned to him.

“What? Has his parents disowned him?” Zuho snorted, Chani chuckled in reply.

“Not exactly, hyung. Disowning him is probably less painful.”

The two males look at him quizzically, Chani shrugged back.

“Are you guys hungry?” Rowoon asked as they reached them, the tall male was leaning against his black Audi RS7.

“We should go, I still have an essay to finish.” Hwiyoung stated, he unlocked his Range Rover, Chani and Zuho slipped inside.

“Hey,” Taeyang said before getting inside his Benz, Rowoon looked at him.

“Dawon hyung called earlier, he said he’d be here tomorrow.”

“Really why?” Rowoon replied.

“The school festival’s tomorrow, I guess that’s why?”

“He just graduated, does he miss school already?” Rowoon chuckled and got inside his car.

 

 

 

Dawon looked up as he heard footsteps going down the stairs, he stood up from the couch.

“Little sister!” He said with a huge grin, the girl turned to face him and sighed.

“Are you a child? Did someone take your lollipop and you just had to fight them, oppa?” She questioned, her tone as cold as her eyes.

Dawon didn’t flinch, instead he just went in for a hug, the girl rolled her eyes and let him be.

“And you just had to be photographed too. How nice. It’s just weeks before the board meeting as well.”

“Why don’t you take this opportunity to enjoy home for a while.”

“Enjoy?” She repeated as they sat down.

“Dahye-ah,” Dawon said, not using her usual nickname.

“I was taking a rest year, oppa. How could you do this?” She murmured as she crossed her legs, Dawon chewed on his lip.

“You would have done the same thing, Dani.”

The girl turned to him, her forehead creasing.

“I guess this girl’s important.” She stated, Dawon looked at her and he nodded.

“And the parents don’t know about her, huh? Abeoji said you were the one who picked fights because you were drunk.”

“I’m glad they bought that story.” He said, Dani shook her head at him.

“I was told I need to go to the university tomorrow. I’ve got bigger problems, so, you help yourself.” She said as she stood up, Dawon broke into a smile, knowing his sister wasn’t so mad at him.

“I know. There’s a festival tomorrow too. Oppa will take you.”

“No.” Dani shot him down, but he was still smiling.

“I’ll drive you there tomorrow.”

“Well, it’s not like you have anything else to do. Abeoji banned you from going to the office.” She snorted as they headed for the dining room.

 

 

 

“Has the jetlag kicked in, daughter?” Mister Lee asked as their two children took their respective seats.

“Not yet, abeoji. I slept throughout the flight.” Dahye replied as she put the napkin on her lap. Dawon quickly filled her plate up with meat and vegetables. Mrs. Lee looked up from her seat, amused with her eldest.

“Oppa, I don’t eat carrots.” Dahye murmured, he smiled and nodded.

“I know.”

“You should be giving your brother a hard time, he’s the reason why we had to rush you home.” The father hummed as they began eating, Dani looked at her sibling.

“You’re right, appa. I should make him for suffer for a bit. Afterall,” She picked up her steak knife and started cutting through the meat.

“You two, stop ganging up against him.”

Dawon beamed at his mother.

“Do it after dinner. It’s good for digestion.” She finished, Dawon flinched and shook his head.

Dani looked at her brother, and smiled one of rare smiles.

“Anyway, I’m glad oppa survived that brawl. It being an only child.”

“Whoa, I am deeply touched, Lee Dahye.” He shot back, petulant.

“Right, I keep on hearing you got into that fight because of a Junhee? Your friend?” Mrs. Lee spoke, Dahye continued on chewing, her eyes went to her brother when she realized that he had stopped moving.

“Junhee?” Mr. Lee echoed.

“Yes, I heard from one of our lawyers sent to fix things at the police station. Dawon was~”

“Ah, right, eomma.” Dahye chewed quickly, Dawon looked at her.

“Junhee got in trouble, some guys were being erts. So, oppa helped her out.” She said with a small smile.

“So, you know this Junhee?”

“Yes, Junhee from Australia.”

The two elders grew quiet, still unsure of her words.

“You sent me to Australia for summer classes, remember? I went to play tennis there.”

Dawon looked at his sister, impressed. Dahye deserved an Oscar for her performance right now.

“Ah, of course. So, you met this Junhee there?”

“Yes, I had the chance to introduce her to Dawon oppa when we went home. Right, oppa?” Dani nudged her sibling, Dawon quickly gave his parents a nodding smile.

 

 

 

Zuho yawned as he walked towards the café, it was already a little late but he had received a text from his friends to come out.

“He’s here.”

He heard Taeyang’s voice as he walked in, he spotted his friends gathered at a booth with their drinks.

“Why did Dawon hyung call us?” Hwiyoung asked with a yawn, he leaned back on his seat.

“I don’t know, he says he has a favor to ask.” Taeyang explained, Chani looked up from his seat and shook his head.

“I have a feeling why.” The youngest stated, the two older ones turned to him curiously.

“What~”

“Guys, hey!” Dawon came walking towards them Hwiyoung chuckled and looked at the bruise on his face.

“Of course, anything for the lady love.” Taeyang mused as he tried to poke the older male’s injuries, Dawon swatted him away.

“It’s good to see you up and about, hyung.” Zuho commented as the male sat down.

“There’s this thing,” Dawon said softly as they were all seated and he paused.

“Rowoon?”

“Oh, he can’t make it tonight. He has a family dinner thing.” Taeyang said, Chani puffed his cheeks and he glanced at the windows.

“I don’t know if you guys are aware that I have a sister.”

“You do?” Hwiyoung asked, he picked up his coffee.

“I do, she’s a year younger than me. And she’s still in school, in her finaly year in university too.”

“Ah, nice.” Zuho shrugged, not really understanding what the older male was getting at.

“Because of what happened, she had to come home in a rush. And, she starts studying at SNU tomorrow. And, she hasn’t been living in Seoul for years. And I’m worri~”

“Ah, you want us look after her while she’s here? No problem, hyung. Now, let’s all go home and sleep.” Hwiyoung sighed, Dawon was about to speak when the doors swung open again.

Chani shook his head and stared at his phone again.

“Wow.” Zuho murmured as he looked at the girl, her eyes flitted on their table briefly and Dawon saw how his friends straightened up on their seats. He almost sighed, most males did react to his sister that way.

She looked away and proceeded to order from the counter.

“You guys know her? Which school is she from?” Taeyang murmured, Chani almost snorted.

“I would recognize a pretty face, but I don’t know this one.”

Dawon eyed his friends warily.

“Oppa, what do you want?” Her eyes suddenly went to them, the guys all paused, stunned and confused.

“Citrus tea.” Dawon muttered back, she nodded and faced the barista again.

“That’s your sister?! She’s a goddess, hyung!” Taeyang exclaimed, he was about to stand but Chani pulled him back.

“Don’t.” Chani said to him, the girl was already walking towards them and she reached their table, her face remained expressionless. Hwiyoung looked at her, bemused.

“These are my friends, Dahye-ah.” Dawon said with caution, Zuho stretched his hand out, the girl blinked at him before turning to her brother.

“My card doesn’t work here. I don’t have cash too.” She said, ignoring the other guys. Hwiyoung and Taeyang grinned at their friend.

“Ah, okay. I’ll take care of it. Take a seat.” Dawon stood up, the table grew quiet and she turned to one of them.

“What is it?” Chani asked, the other three were surprised by his slightly rude tone of voice.

“Dahye, nice meet you, my name’s Taeyang.” Taeyang spoke to her, the girl turned to him and gave him the smallest bow he ever saw.

“I want water.” She said, Chani rolled her eyes and he stood up.

“I’ll get you a bottled one, princess.” He said mockingly, the girl didn’t react and she simply sat down.

“She looks like an ice princess and she probably is one.” Zuho whispered to Hwiyoung, Dawon was looking at them from the counter and he smiled.

“I hope they survive her.”

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++