004

Next To You

 

Dahye leaned back on her seat, her forehead creasing.

Wait, I could be wrong.

That person with that face can’t be their friend.

He could just be some random student and~

“Dawon hyung, you’re here.” An unfamiliar voice spoke, the girl turned her head again and instantly regretted it. The guy in black was walking towards their group, she slowly stood up from her seat but then the emcee came to the stage.

“Now, my fellow students, let’s all take our seats.”

Dani looked up and realized that everyone had sat down, she was about to discreetly leave her row when she saw the guy from earlier walking towards her.

Why can’t he just sit in front?

This row is mine!

“I had practice, sorry for being late.” He finally reached them, Dani took a step back as she realized how tall he was. And how good looking he was up close.

She peeled her gaze off him and started to look around, the male turned to her and she flinched.

“Right, Rowoon-ah, this is my sister, Dahye.” She heard Dawon speak.

Ah, older brothers.

Ah, very useless.

The male then broke into a smile before stretching his palm towards her, Taeyang and Zuho looked on, knowing what would happen next.

“Dahye, this is Rowoon.” Dawon continued, Dani looked at his palm before finally deciding to sit down.

Did I ask to be introduced? No.

Rowoon blinked and looked at his friends, Hwiyoung grinned at him while Zuho and Taeyang were laughing.

“Noona,” Chani muttered, Dani looked at him.

“I….I~”

“Aren’t you cold? It’s kind of windy today.” Rowoon spoke as he took the empty seat next to her.

Why would you sit here? Go sit with your friends.

And, we don’t have to talk.

You scary being.

She glanced at him again, he was running his fingers through his hair before leaning back on his seat, Dahye caught a whiff of his cologne and she puffed her cheeks.

No. Nope.

I’m too jetlagged for this.

The girl suddenly stood up and she felt their gazes on her.

“I..I need to use the restroom. Don’t offer to show me where. I’ll be right back.” She said quickly as she picked up her bag and ran away from them.

Chani tilted his head in confusion.

“Why is she running?” He murmured before facing the stage again, Rowoon glanced over his shoulder and watched as the girl disappeared through the crowd.

“Ice princess. Understand her.” Zuho joked, Rowoon nodded and put his bag on her vacated seat.

 

 

 

Dahye let out a shaky breath as she faced the mirror, she leaned her palms against the sink.

“What am I? Some high schooler panicking over a boy? A boy!” She said darkly, as she looked at her reflection. Now, her cheeks were in a shade of pink and that made her shudder.

“It’s just the face, Dani. You’re just liking the face, it’s probably just a trap. He could be the rudest motherfu~” She trailed off and sighed.

“He could be rude or mean, or he might be some empty headed jock.” She offered, remembering how he had cleats hanging on the side of his duffel bag.

“An airheaded soccer dude who only has his face to offer. Yes, I’m saved. Good.” She said, trying to comfort herself. She quickly fixed her hair and gathered her things, she was about to exit the restroom when a bunch of girls walked in.

“Did you see her smiling and jumping into his arms like that? What a .” One girl commented as she washed her hands, Dahye glanced at them.

“I bet she’s planning to get pregnant just to keep a hold on him.” The other said, Dani scrunched her nose.

It’s like high school all over again, just a lot more pettier.

She looked at them again, noticing their get ups.

And more padded bras.

“That Shin Junhee, really. She’s taking advantage of Daw~” One of the cubicle doors opened and a girl with long dark hair appeared. Dani looked at her then back at the women, and then they started laughing.

“Oops, did you hear us, Junhee?” Padded Bra Number One spoke, Dahye glanced at the Long Hair Agasshi again.

“I don’t want any trouble.” She murmured before trying to sidestep them, but Padded Bra Number Two and Three yanked her back.

“Maybe it’s time we teach you a lesson~”

Dahye sighed and dropped her bag on the counter with a loud thud, all eyes went to her.

“You need something?” One of the girls hissed at her.

“I already have things stressing me out and you’re adding to it. I don’t get why you three are being so y this early, it must be because of your bras being too tight.” Dani continued, she felt Long Hair Agasshi’s eyes on her.

“Y—You how dare you~”

“Stop bullying someone who has perfectly nice s, look for someone in your level.” Dahye slung her bag over her shoulder, her eyes went to the bullied girl and she smiled at her.

“Don’t worry, I wasn’t being a ert.” She mused before leaving the restroom, Dani let out a sigh as soon as she was out.

“This country is intense and I haven’t even been home in~”

“We’re all getting some food.” Chani was standing before her, he wasn’t alone too.

I can’t even catch a break.

“They said they wanted to get fish cakes.” Rowoon commented behind him, Dani wanted to glare at him.

But she can’t.

“Are you okay with fish cakes?” His gaze was on her and she instantly flinched back.

“You know, I might as well just give myself a tour around this campus.” Dani stated, Chani looked at her quizzically.

“Whoa, now you want a tour? Earlier you were complaining about having to walk~”

Dahye groaned and shoved her bag to his face.

“You know, I can give her a tour instead.” Rowoon said with a warm smile as he took her bag from the younger male, Dani halted and turned to them. Tall person had swung her bag over his shoulder.

No, no, no. I don’t want a tour.

Not from you.

Ew!

“Suit yourself, hyung.” Chani chuckled before jogging away from them, Dani balked at how fast he had abandoned her.

“Where would you like to go first?” Rowoon stepped closer to her and she flinched again.

“Y—You know…mayb—maybe we should..just join them?” She murmured, the male glanced over his shoulder.

“Okay, it’s this way.” He said, gesturing for her to walk ahead. Dani looked at her bag, contemplating.

“I—I can carry my bag~”

“It’s fine, you have books in here too. Let’s go.” Rowoon grinned at her, Dahye chewed on her lower lip and walked ahead of him.

Wow, this is how the world repays me after I help that pretty girl in the restroom?

Thanks, world.

 

 

 

Taeyang looked up as the two joined them, Dahye looked at them and noticed the two empty seats beside her brother.

“Oppa, I~” Dawon pulled her hand and made the girl sit beside him.

“I got you tonkatsu with cheese.” He said as handed her a fork, Dani was about to lean back on her seat when Rowoon plopped down beside him. She turned to the male, looking offended.

“What took you so long? Was there a long line at the restroom, noona?” Hwiyoung asked her, she looked up from her food and shook her head.

“No. I just…looked around on the way there.” She replied, her eyes trailed off to Chani’s bowl of chicken strips. She unthinkingly reached out and picked up a piece from his plate.

“That might be spicy.” He told her, she shook her head and poured some of her rice cakes on his plate.

“I can take too much of this, it’s too starchy. Do you have sauce for the chicken?”

Chani nodded and switched plates with her instead, the boys looked at them, amused.

“You can’t take spicy food?” Rowoon spoke again, the girl looked at him.

“N—No, not really.”

“Then, try this.” Taeyang pushed his mango slushie towards her.

“Well, I’m fine with just water. I’ll go get one.” Dani stood up from her seat and walked towards one of the booths.

“She can be a little difficult, but she’s not that bad once she…warms up to you guys.” Dawon murmured, Chani snorted at his words.

“Maybe she’s just being shy, hyung.” Rowoon commented as he started to mix his ramen, Zuho shook his head.

“Shy? She’s an ice princess, just wait and see.”

Taeyang watched as the girl queued for her bottled water, and then two males started to approach her.

“Watch.” Chani spoke as he followed the older male’s gaze. The two males were talking to her, well, trying to talk to her with their phones already out.

“They’re going to ask for her number.” Hwiyoung murmured, Dawon looked on and shook his head.

“And fail.” Chani stated as the two stepped back from her, looking a little deflated. And then they turned to look at her again, wanting to talk more.

Dawon simply slid down from his seat and walked to his sister.

“Dahye-ah,” He called to her and joined her on the line.

“She hasn’t met Junhee?” Rowoon asked quietly, Taeyang shook his head.

“I don’t know what’s going on between them, but ever since the club incident, I haven’t seen her around that much.” Zuho commented over his French fries.

“I just don’t get why they can’t just be open about their relationship. It’s weird."

 

 

 

Dani was tapping her left foot on the floor as she waited for Chani to finish, they were at SNU’s admin office and the younger male was fixing her schedule for her.

“Do you still play soccer?” She asked, Chani turned to her and nodded in reply.

“For the school?”

Chani thanked the lady behind the counter and handed her new class schedule to her.

“Yeah, I do.” He said as they walked down the steps, the girl hooked arms with him.

“You still hate being here?”

“Kind of.”

He chuckled and nudged her twice.

“You’re home, noona. Loosen up.”

“I’ll be fine as soon as I finally finish this semester and leave school.” She replied as they walked towards the parking lot. She spotted Zuho standing by one of the car while talking on his phone.

“Be nice.” Chani reminded her, she groaned at him.

“I am being nice.”

“Chani-ah,” Rowoon came up to them and she quickly took a step aside, but the younger male pulled her back.

“The cars pass there.” He made her move to the sidewalk, Rowoon grinned at him.

“We have practice tonight and~” Rowoon’s eyes went to the girl as the wind started to blow, the skirt of her dress was hiked up slightly. He started to shake off his denim jacket and handed it to her.

What now, tall person?

Dani blinked at him, still not talking.

“Here.” Rowoon said kindly, Dahye was about to refuse when the wind blew strongly again and she reached down to hold onto her dress. He let out a small chuckle and carefully leaned over to drape it around her waist.

Dahye felt her cheeks heating up and looked up, the male was still holding onto his jacket as it hugged her waist.

Why are you so nice?

You’re not supposed to be nice.

That is not how the world works!

“Do I need to hold onto it like this as we walk?” He asked in a playful tone, trying to make her feel comfortable around him.

“I’ll go get my things then, hyung. Can you walk her to the cafeteria? Dawon hyung’s there.” Chani said before leaving them in a rush, Dahye quickly held onto the jacket’s sleeves and tied it around her waist securely, Rowoon stepped back and smiled at the girl.

“T—Thanks, I—I’ll give it back tomorrow.” She stammered, he shook his head at the girl.

“It’s fine. Come, the cafeteria is a bit far from here.” He said to her, Dahye’s eyes widened and she glanced around them.

Chani had disappeared.

And now, the ice princess wanted to cry.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++