010

Next To You

 

 

“You’re happy she’s in town, huh?” Inseong nudged his friend, Dawon nodded back.

“Has she always been away, oppa?” Junhee asked the older male, Inseong smiled before speaking.

“Dahye liked travelling around even when she was younger, auntie didn’t like it. But she was the one who was always moving around with her father.” Inseong said fondly.

“Abeoji had to stay in different countries for certain periods of time for work before,” Dawon explained as he held onto the girl’s hand.

“That’s why she’s always been the bold one, she likes doing things alone.”

“I did miss having her around. Maybe this time she’ll decide to stay.” Dawon said softly, Junhee looked up and her eyes went to Dahye. The girl was walking with Chani, they were chatting with the others while the younger male had one arm draped around her shoulders.

“But, those two…?” She trailed off, Youngbin chuckled and followed her gaze.

“They do get that a lot.” Inseong added, Dawon looked at the two before talking.

“They’ve always been friends. Just that. People often thought that they’d end up getting together, but no. Chani has always been a brother to her.”

Dahye eventually wriggled free from his grasp, the younger male turned to her.

“And, Chani?” Junhee was smiling as she watched them, Dani was trying to fix his hair but the boy wouldn’t let her.

“Well, as you can see,” Youngbin jutted his lips towards them, now they were arguing like two year olds.

“Cute.” Junhee chuckled, Dawon shook his head, already used to the scene before him.

“But, it seems that our ice princess has finally loosened up.” Jaeyoon hummed from the back, Dawon looked at his sibling, the girl was walking with Taeyang and Hwiyoung, she was speaking with them too.

“Maybe this time she decides to finally settle down in one place.” Dawon said with a small smile.

“I hope she does.”

 

 

 

Rowoon held onto the door as the guys went in, Dahye quickly slid through and jogged towards the counter without glancing back.

It’s okay, it’s just him.

I have to get used to him by now.

Running from him won’t do me any good.

Why?

You can’t exactly run away from your constant seatmate. Ha!

She started to look at the flavors before them, she unthinkingly hooked arms with the person beside her, assuming it was Chani.

“Hey, can we get two scoops that, then let’s share~”

“Dani-ah,” Taeyang was blinking at her, Dani paused, realizing she was holding onto him, not Chani.

“I’m sorry.” She said as she quickly let go of him, Chani chuckled beside the older male.

“It’s okay, what do you want to get?” Taeyang patted her arm, the girl nodded back and looked at the display again.

“Then, I’ll take~” The girl stopped when she felt someone standing next to her, Chani craned his neck and he chuckled. Rowoon was leaning over the counter, looking at the flavors. He was standing a little too close to the girl, and he didn’t seem to notice.

Dahye discreetly stepped back from them, she puffed her cheeks and shook her head.

Baby steps.

He’s just a person.

It’s just Rowoon.

“Dahye-ah, what do you want to get?” Rowoon turned to her, Taeyang was waving her over.

“Pistachio. Just that.”

“Two scoops?” Taeyang asked, the girl nodded back and she paused.

“Anything else?” Hwiyoung grinned at her, knowing that she wanted to order more.

“N—nothing, that’s all, I’ll go reserved us a table.” Dahye walked around the shop, she saw her brother and Junhee enter the shop last. And then she noticed the two males in dark suits standing by the doors, their eyes were on her brother’s girlfriend. Her brows rose briefly.

“What are you looking at, princess?” Jaeyoon nudged her, the girl looked at him before taking a seat.

“She has bodyguards. Intense.” She said softly, Jaeyoon glanced over his shoulder and nodded.

“You seem to get along with her, that’s very nice, princess.” He said jokingly, Dani shook her head at him.

“Oppa must really like her, he managed to arrange this lunch just for us to meet.” She murmured; the older male nodded back.

“You’re not asking questions.” He said, Dahye glanced over her shoulder and shrugged.

“Oppa can do whatever her wants, I mean, he deserves that.”

“You’re okay with Junhee?” Jaeyoon said while wiggling his brows at her, the girl her lips before speaking.

“I’m okay with everyone, oppa.”

“That’s good, Dawon was so worried that you wouldn’t be able to adjust back here. Taeyang mentioned that you get asked out a lot at school too.”

“Don’t start, oppa.” She sighed at him.

“Loosen up, Dani-ah. Surely, being stuck with just Chani can be boring. You have more friends to annoy now.” He added, Dahye glared at him.

“I’m sure they won’t mind.” Jaeyoon mused before standing up to get themselves something to drink. Dahye glanced at the counter again, her brother was smiling as Junhee was talking to him about something. And then she looked at the other guys, Zuho and Hwiyoung were ordering their ice cream while Rowoon and Chani were chatting. Taeyang remained at the display, still picking out what flavor he should get.

“They can be adorable when they’re not attacking me with questions.” She mused to herself before leaning back on her chair.

 

 

 

“Here you go, ice princess.” Zuho said lightly as he placed her order before her, the girl glanced at him, amused at his nickname for her.

“So, you guys have finally decided to call me that to my face now?” She said, Taeyang and Hwiyoung paused at her words, but the girl looked up and gave them a small smile. They let out a silent sigh of relief.

“Told you she can hear everything.” Chani pointed out as the girl picked up her spoon, and it didn’t miss the younger male’s eyes when she flinched because Rowoon took the empty seat next to hers.

“Your notes helped a lot, thanks.” He said, the girl nodded without looking at him.

“Were you at work today? You seem dressed for work.” Rowoon spoke comfortably, Dani could feel his gaze on her.

“You have work on weekends? That’s just sad, noona.” Hwiyoung commented, Inseong and Youngbin reached the table with their ice cream sandwiches.

“Yes, I do.” Dani faced the younger male, she turned to Rowoon.

“I—I was at work. And, you were at practice, right?” She said, the male nodded back and took another spoonful of his ice cream.

Okay, conversation is over.

Good, now, stop talking to me.

Go talk to your other friends.

“For someone who was suddenly thrown into the business world, you seem to have everything in check.” Rowoon said softly, the girl grimaced but she nodded.

“I try not to—to lose it.”

She saw how he paused, and he turned his head so that he was facing her, in fact he was so close that for a moment Dani mentally panicked that their noses would touch.

Am I the only one uncomfortable right now?

“Can we talk later?”

Ah, it must be about school.

Were my notes that great?

Why must we talk?

“S—Sure.” She mumbled back, Rowoon then started to talk with the older males. Dani let out a breath and stared at her cup of ice cream.

“Marshmallows. I forgot about mars~”

Dawon leaned over and put a spoonful of marshmallows on her bowl, Junhee smiled as she looked at the two. Dahye blinked at him, the older smiled.

“Wow, look at you, a guilty duck.” She said dryly, the older males broke into laughter, Inseong high-fived her.

“Enjoy.” Her brother winked at her before going back to his seat, the girl was about to help herself to a spoonful when she felt someone’s gaze on her.

She looked up, Chani was staring right at her, but he had this weird smile on his face.

“What?” She mouthed at him, and then his eyes went to the male beside her. Dani paused, her forehead creasing.

“You’re too obvious, noona.” He mouthed back with a teasing smile, Dahye was about to react but Chani turned his head away from her, striking a conversation with Junhee instead.

 

 

 

“Its nice to finally have met you, Dani.” Junhee said as she took the girl’s hand in hers, Dani paused at the gesture, but she nodded back.

“Same here, I mean, not exactly our first meeting. But, yeah.”

Dawon grew amused at his sister.

“Right, our first meeting was kind of something. Are you sure you don’t want to join us?” The girl asked in concern, everybody had left after ice cream and now it was just the three of them.

“Right, Dani, it’s a weekend. Why don’t you join us? You said you needed to buy clothes.” Dawon nudged her, but the girl shook her head.

“Oppa, I plan to show myself around Seoul. I haven’t been home in years and, I want to learn the…ropes again.” She said, Dawon frowned at her words.

“But, going around alone~”

“I’ll drive her around, hyung.” Another voice chimed in, Junhee looked up and smiled at the tall male.

“Oh, you’re still here.” Dawon nodded at him, Rowoon shrugged back.

“I’m not busy today.”

“What?” Dani blurted out, she grimaced, mentally reminding herself about her filter again.

“Will you? I think she’s already sick of me.” Dawon replied, Rowoon grinned back at him.

“Go ahead, it doesn’t seem like she’ll ever change her mind.” He said lightly, Dani looked at him again and pursed her lips.

Maybe I should go with the lovebirds.

Now, how do I escape this tall person?

“Oppa, wait~”

“Well, see you at school, Dani.” Junhee waved at her, Dahye nodded back and the two walked away from them.

“Where are you off to, ice princess?” Rowoon spoke, the girl faced him.

“Y—You know, I don’t really need a ride around town. I can get by using the bus.” She said to him.

“You said you wanted to see how Seoul has changed, driving around is the best option.” Rowoon gestured for the girl to walk with him.

“Y—Yeah, on my own.” She murmured as she walked a few steps ahead of him. Rowoon chuckled and ran his fingers through his hair, already used to her.

tumblr_pta9s4m4vf1uk0y4po2_400.gif

“I know you can take care of yourself, but I need to talk to you.”

“About s—school? Can’t it wait? We literally have the same schedule; you’ll see me on Monday.” She offered, now she was surprised. It was probably the longest sentence she ever said to him.

“No, I need to talk to you about something else, so come and be stuck with me. Please?” He said with a playful smile.

“Talk? Why?”

They crossed the street; Dani saw the familiar Audi RS7 a few meters away from them.

“You have more experience with corporate work.” Rowoon said as they crossed the street, Dani saw his car a few meters away from them.

“You’re….taller.” She replied helplessly, the male laughed and he took out his car keys.

“So, you’ll come with me?”

“It didn’t seem like I had a choice.” She shot back as he opened the front door seat for her.

“I was just being polite, get in.”

“Wow.” She mumbled as she ducked and got inside the vehicle.

“Don’t worry, I can keep you safe for the rest of the afternoon, ice princess.”

“It’s Dani.” She sighed at him as she placed her bag on her lap.

“It’s Rowoon.” He mused before closing the door for her, Dani exhaled and leaned back on the seat.

Be friends with him, see?

It’s not so bad.

He’s not that hard to converse with, things will probably be a lot easier if he doesn’t look like that too.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++