Make Her Smile

Always Loving You

"Ah, Evan! Be careful with that vase, all right?" 

 

Pets told her brother as he moved the flowers around. Evan carefully laid the big vase onto where his sister pointed. "Great! Thank you, Evan." Pets said as he smiled to his brother. "You're welcome, sis." Evan told her. Just then, Sunnee and Wes came in with coffees and donuts in hand. 

 

"Good morning! We bear breakfast." Wes said as he put the donuts on the counter. Then, he handed Pets a cup of coffee. "For you." he said as he gazed at her. Pets took the cup from his hand, and patted his shoulder. "Thank you!" she said. As Pets turned her attention to the flowers, Wes could only scratch his head. 

 

"Evan ge, coffee?" Sunnee said as she handed him his coffee. "Thanks, Sunnee." he said as he took the coffee from her. He took a sip, as he looked at her. "Hey, are you doing anything after we close the shop?" Evan asked her. Wes looked at Evan and smiled secretly. "Well... I... I'm going to a friend..." Sunnee said. 

 

Wes folded his arm as he looked at Sunnee. "Which friend?" he asked. Pets looked over at Wes. "You know which friend." Pets told him. Evan looked at the two with confusion. Sunnee let out a sigh. "I haven't visited Wayne for a long time. Can I visit him today?" Sunnee told them. "Oh, then the friend is her late boyfriend...." Evan thought. 

 

Wes walked up to Sunnee, and put his arms around her neck. "Qing Er Mei Mei, you don't have to visit him everyday after your shift here." Wes told her. "Wes is right. Sunnee. I'm sure Wayne will understand if you won't visit him today." Pets said. Evan could see the hesitation on her face as he looked at them. He then decided to save her. 

 

"Then, can I go visit your friend with you?" Evan asked. Both Pets and Wes looked at him. "Are you sure?" Wes asked. Evan nodded his head. "Then, maybe I can ask Sunnee out. If she will only agree..." he said, eyeing on Sunnee. Her eyes met his gaze, and he let out a smile. "As long as I can visit Wayne today." she said. Pets and Wes looked at each other, and could only shake their head. 

 

--

 

Pets is inside the office, reading some documents. She closed the folder she is holding, and put it back on the table. "This isn't right anymore...." she thought. She heard a knock on the door, and saw Wes entering the office. "Hey..." Wes called as he walked towards her table. 

 

"It's been three years, and it felt like Sunnee hasn't had any progress at all." Pets told him. Wes let out a sigh. "Compared to her state three years ago, she is in a much better state now. As long as nothing triggers her panic attacks, it would be all right." Wes told her. Pets let out another sigh. 

 

"I know you're worried about your sister. I'm telling you, she's going to be fine. It may be a slow progress for now, but she will be fine." Wes assured her. Pets looked at him, and smiled sadly. "Thank you, Wes..." she said. Wes gave her a curious look. "You took care of Sunnee. You made sure to oversee her progress. You even had to leave your job as a psychiatrist to be always be there for her." she said. 

 

"Sunnee and Uncle Jack are my family now. They took me in after my parents died. I owe so much to them. I wanted to make sure Sunnee will be better, and this is the only way I know how. I can always go back to being a psychiatrist, once we all know her state is fine. But until that day, I will stay by her side." Wes told her. With that, Pets smiled at him. 

 

Just then they heard a loud crash, followed by Sunnee's cry. "Sunnee!" Wes exclaimed. He stood up, and immediately ran outside. The moment he got out of the office, he saw Evan trying to comfort Sunnee. There was blood trickling on his hand. "What happened?" Pets said as he got out of the office. "The vase fell from the shelf. It's going to fall on Sunnee's head, so I pushed her. Then, it cut my hand, and Sunnee's crying." Evan explained, trying to be calm although he is panicking. 

 

"Let me help Sunnee. I know what to do." Wes said. Evan made way to him, and let Wes hold Sunnee, who is still crying on the floor. "Sunnee... breathe in, all right?" he said in a calm voice. Sunnee stopped crying the moment he felt Wes hugging her. "Good girl..." he told her. "It's going to be all right. Just breathe in, and breathe out..." he told her. 

 

"Is she going to be fine?" Evan asked Pets worriedly. Pets nodded her head. "Good thing Wes is here." she said. Pets looked away, but Evan could see her almost crying. "Pets, Sunnee need to rest. I have to take her home for now." Wes told her. Pets just nodded her head. .

 

Wes helped Sunnee to stand up. Both Evan and Pets watched as the two of them leave the flower shop. "I... I didn't know. I'm sorry, sis." Evan apologized again. "It's not your fault, Evan. Sunnee didn't have a panic attack for so long. We both didn't know it would happen today." she told her brother. 

 

--

 

Wes sat on Sunnee's bed, and watched her as she sleep soundly. He made her took her medication as soon as they got home, and he decided to stay to watch after her. 

 

"Wes, how is she?" he heard her father ask. Wes looked by the door, and nodded his head. "She's fine. I'm sorry to trouble you, Uncle Jack. I know you're busy today..." he said. Jack shook his head. "If it's my daughter, you know I'll drop everything for her." Jack said as he walked towards Sunnee's side. 

 

"She took her medication today. She's going to be fine." Wes assured him. "I'm sorry for troubling you, Wes. You had to take care of Sunnee." 

"It was my choice, Uncle Jack. If I had other patients, I won't be able to focus on her."

"How long till my daughter will be this way?"

"I can't answer that, Uncle Jack. I wish science had a way to heal a panic attack, but for now, all we can do is understand and support her."

 

Jack looked sadly at her daughter. He brushed her hair as he watched her. "I wish that accident never happened. I wish she never lost Wayne..." Jack said in a low voice. "We all didn't want that to happen, Uncle Jack. It was an accident." Wes told him. "But the emotional scars it had left on Sunnee..."

 

Jack lowered his head as he cried. "I just want my daughter to be happy again, just like before." he told him. Wes just felt silent as he looked at them. As he leaned on Sunnee's hand, he let out a sad smile. "I know, one day, she will be happy again. And I know one day, those scars will finally be gone." he said. 

 

--

 

Sunnee slowly opened her eyes, and the first thing she saw was a hand puppet of a bear in front of her. "Good evening, Sunnee!" she heard a falsetto voice said, She let out a giggle as she realized who own that voice. "Are you feeling all right now?" the bear puppet asked. "Yes, I feel OK now." she said. 

 

Evan popped up from the edge of her bed still holding up the bear puppet. "Then, did you have a good sleep?" Evan asked in a falsetto voice. "I had a good sleep. Thank you for asking." Sunnee said. Evan stood up, and then sat beside her. "I was worried about you the whole day. I'm sorry..." Evan said. "What are you saying sorry for? It's not your fault. There are days that I am OK, there are days that I am not. And today is one of those bad days." Sunnee told him. 

 

Evan held her hand. "I only wanted to protect you. I'm sorry, I made it worse for you." he said. Sunnee shook her head. "It's all right. It's not your fault, really. I guess, it's just me..." she said. He squeezed her hand and he gazed into her eyes. "I promise, it won't happen again." he said. Then, he showed her the bear puppet again. "Will you forgive me, Sunnee?" Evan said again in falsetto. Sunnee nodded her head, but she couldn't help but giggle again because of Evan's voice. "Sunnee, is my voice funny?" Evan asked again in falsetto. 

 

He let out a smile seeing her smile like that. His heart felt contented knowing he made her smile somehow. "Sunnee! Sunnee! Can we be friends, Sunnee? I'm Little Bear." Evan said again in falsetto. "Of course, we can be friends, Little Bear. It's nice to meet you." Sunnee said. She shook the puppets hand as she smiled at Evan. "Yay! I'm friends with Sunnee now!" Evan said in falsetto. This made Sunnee laugh again. 

 

From outside her room, Wes was secretly watching them. He let out a smile seeing how Evan and Sunnee get along. "I just hope he would be the one that can replace Wayne in your heart..." Wes thought.