Her Laugh

Always Loving You

"I don't want to lose you..."

 

He whispered as he hugged her tighter. Sunnee was left speechless at what he said. "Dylan..." she muttered. He closed his eyes as he inhaled her scent. Having her in his arms made his heart feel at ease. "W-what are you talking about? You can't lose me!" Sunnee told him to break their silence. 

 

Dylan held her shoulder, and then looked at her. "Don't make me worry like that again. And don't make me unable to find you, do you understand?" he asked in a serious tone. Sunnee could only stare  at him. Somehow, those words sounds familiar to him. "Why does he kinda sound like Wayne when he can't find me?" she thought. 

 

"Ah, Dylan..." she said with a smile. "You don't have to worry. I have a new phone now. You can call me anytime you want. I was just too clumsy the other day that it slipped my hand, and fell on a puddle of water." she explained. "Did you know how worried I was? I was going crazy because I thought you're avoiding me."

"Why would I avoid you?"

"Because I -"

 

He stared at her innocent face. "I... I thought you rejected me..." he said. Sunnee smiled at him, and then let out a laugh. "Why would I reject you?" she asked in confusion. "I... I confessed to you the other night." 

"Did you?"

"Didn't I?"

 

Sunnee let out an awkward smile. "It doesn't count as one. If you're going to confess, then you should do it personally, right? How would I know if you're sincere?" she said. She scratched her head as she looked away from him. Dylan stared at her for a long time. "Then, can I say it now?" he asked her. Sunnee paused, and looked at him. "Sunnee... I lo-"

 

Before Dylan could finish what he was going to say, they heard a loud crashing noise behind them. Both them looked back, and saw Evan picking up the pieces of a broken flower pot. "Sorry..." Evan said. Sunnee looked at him worriedly. 

 

"Evan ge, are you all right?" she asked as she walked towards him. Evan just nodded his head. Sunnee then helped him to clean up his mess. "I'm sorry. The pot was too heavy for me to carry, so it fell from my grip." he told Sunnee. "It's all right, Evan ge. Don't worry, I'll help you later with moving the flower pots, all right?" she told him. 

 

Evan took the broken pieces of the pot from her hand. "I'm all right. I can clean this up on my own. Let me clean up my mess. Go and entertain your friend." Evan said as he looked at Dylan. Sunnee gasped upon seeing Dylan still standing there, waiting for her. She smacked herself for making him wait and for leaving him behind to help Evan. "Oh my!" she said. 

 

She stood up, and ran towards Dylan. "Sorry for leaving you behind..." she apologized to her. Dylan smiled, and patted her head. "It's all right. You need to help your brother, right?" he said. As he patted her head, she remembered Wayne again. She remember how he always pat her head whenever she apologize to him. 

 

"Hey, I still owe you an ice cream, right?" Dylan asked. Sunnee nodded her head. "Then, can we have dinner later?" he asked her. Sunnee smiled, and nodded her head. "As long as it's your treat." she said. Dylan smiled happily at her. "Then, I'll pick you up later, all right. Promise me you'll wait for me. And promise me you'll answer my calls this time." Dylan said. Sunnee simply nodded her head. 

 

Evan could only watch Sunnee as she smiled happily at Dylan. He felt a tug in his heart, knowing another guy is making her smile that way. "What is it with him that can make you smile? I'm trying my best to make you happy too. But with him... I can see the happiness in your eyes..." he thought sadly. He let out a sad sigh, then decided to head back inside the shop. 

 

--

 

They had dinner that night, and after dinner, Dylan ordered a tall glass of ice cream for Sunnee. As her ice cream was being served, he could see how excited she is like a child. Her almond eyes widened in awe as she saw how much ice cream she's having that night. "Ice cream!" she said as she clapped like a child. 

 

Dylan couldn't help but laugh at her reaction. "Thank you!" she said to him before she dug in to her favorite dessert. Dylan smiled as she watch her eat. It was the first time she's seeing this child-like personality of hers, and he's loving it. The more he gets to know her, the more he is falling in love with her. 

 

"Hey, I wanted to discuss something with you..." Dylan said. Sunnee stopped eating, and looked at him. "What is it?" she asked. "Didn't you say, you want to go diving sometime?" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. "Next weekend, I'm going for a dive. I was wondering if you would like to go with me..." he said. 

 

Sunnee stopped eating and looked at him. "But, if you're busy, or if you don't want to... it's all right." he said. "Where will you go for a dive?" he asked. "Somewhere in Kaoshiung. So, would you like to go with me?" he asked. "I would love to go, but..."

 

He saw the hesitation in her face. "I don't know if my dad or Wes ge would allow me to go." she said. Dylan gave her a confused look. "Why would they not allow you to go?" he asked. Sunnee let out a sigh. "First," she said, holding up her pointer finger. "They still think I'm a baby. That I can't take care of me." she said. Dylan laughed at what she said. "Second, " she said, holding up two fingers. "They tend to worry about me if I'm not within my sight within a second." 

 

"Third." she said, holding up three fingers this time. "They're scared I might get into another accident." she said. Dylan was curious at what she said. "You had an accident before?" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. "I was involved in a car accident before. They almost lost me, so that's why they're being strict on me. Also, the fourth reason..." 

 

She let out a sigh. She dread letting Dylan know the fourth reason why Wes and her dad will not allow her to go alone with Dylan. "They think I'm sick, so, they will not allow me to go." she said. "Are you sick?" he asked worriedly. "It's kind of related to the accident. It's too complicated to explain to you." she said. 

 

"Well, what if I convince them that I can take care of you during our trip?" he said. Sunnee was skeptical about it. "I don't think you can convince them..."

"Everyday of my life, I convince people to do business with me. How hard is it to convince your Wes ge and your dad?" 

"You don't know them that well."

"Believe me..."

 

He said as he held her hand. "I can convince them. Because if you won't go to this trip, I'd rather cancel it." he said. Sunnee gaped at what she said. "You don't have to cancel it because of me!" she exclaimed. "I planned this trip because of you. If you won't come with me, then I won't go." Dylan said. Sunnee was surprised at what he said. "You... you planned it because of me?" she asked. Dylan nodded his head. "So, let me convince your dad and Wes, all right?" he convinced her. Sunnee just smiled, and nodded her head. Then, she continued to eat her ice cream. 

 

--

 

Wes was outside the house while playing his guitar, when a car stopped in front of their house. He looked at it, wondering who their guest could be. Then, he looked up, and saw Dylan getting out of the driver's side. Then, he went to the passenger's side, and opened the door for Sunnee. He continued to play his guitar, while eyeing the two. 

 

"Thank you for the dinner, and thank you for bringing me home." Sunnee told Dylan. "Then, would this be a good time to talk to your dad, and Wes ge?" Dylan asked. Sunnee let out a laugh, which made Wes look at her. "It's been a long time since I've heard that laugh..." he thought as he smiled. "You're persistent, huh?" she asked. Dylan nodded his head. "It would be too bad to cancel everything. Aiyo, I really wanted to take some photos underwater again... but it would be lonely to go alone." he told her. 

 

"Why don't you just bring Brent and Eunice with you?" she asked. "Eunice is not into those things. Brent is scared of water." Dylan said. Sunnee laughed again. "Come on, it will be fun." he told her. "What would be fun?" Wes asked. The two looked at his direction, and saw him smiling at them. 

 

Sunnee scratched her head as she looked at Wes. "Aiyo, Wes ge!" she complained again. Then, Wes eyes Dylan. "Anything you want to tell me?" he asked. Dylan just smiled at him. 

 

--

 

From the balcony upstairs, Evan had been watching since Sunnee and Dylan arrived. Sadness filled his heart seeing how happily she smiles at her. And hearing her laugh like that simply broke her heart. 

 

He looked away from that scene. "Why?" he asked in his thoughts. "Why is it that with every smile... with every laugh, I only fall in love with you more?" He closed his eyes as he took a deep breath. "Why do I still love you, when I know you only see me as your brother?"