A Promise

Always Loving You

"Dylan... hold on..."

 

Dylan tried to stay awake. He felt her warm hands against his cold skin. "Sunnee..." he tried to call her name weakly. He gripped on to her hand, but he felt her hand slowly slipping to his. He catches his breath as he sees her slowly fading from his sight. Her vision became blurry again, and then all went black. 

 

--

 

"There's something I want to ask..."

 

Wes said as he approached Evan at the garden. Evan looked at him. "What do you want?" he asked. "Why does Pets wants to go back to Canada?" he asked. Evan let out a sigh. "It's better for her to go home for now." he said. 

 

Evan was about to leave him, but, Wes stopped him. "Tell me the truth." Wes insisted. "If I tell you the truth, what is it to you anyway? You don't care about my sister or her feelings at all. Why the sudden change of mind?" Evan asked him. "I love her..." Wes said as he looked into his eyes. 

 

Evan let out a laugh. "Love? You love her? All you did was hurt her!"

"I didn't mean to hurt her! If I did... it's because of what she and Wayne did to Sunnee..."

"How are you different from Wayne? Aside from you're the one alive, and not him."

 

Evan folded his arms, and looked at him. "It would be the best for my sister to stay away from you." Evan told him. As he turned to leave, Wes called on him again. "She's pregnant, am I right?" he asked. Evan paused, and looked at him. "I am the father of her baby, am I right?" Wes asked again. 

 

"Wes, leave my sister alone. Please." he pleaded to him. "Evan... you have to believe me. I love your sister." Wes told him. Evan let out a sigh. Although he had his doubts, he could see the sincerity in Wes' eyes. "Maybe it's worth a shot to trust him again with sis..." he thought. 

 

"All right..." Evan said. "I'll tell you what I know. Pets is carrying your baby. And she wanted to go back to Canada because she's so hurt because of what you did. She thought you would not be able to accept her or the baby if you found out." Evan said. 

 

Wes let out a smile. He can't believe finally,he's going to be a father. He wanted to take care of Pets and her baby, but he had to find a way first to stop her from leaving. "Now that you know... it's all up to you, Wes." Evan told him. Wes just nodded his head. 

 

--

 

Dylan slowly opened his eyes, and he saw the white ceiling of his hospital room. He felt a warm hand holding his. He looked at his side, and saw Sunnee, who fell asleep on his side while holding her hand. He let out a smile as he brushed the hair from her face. 

 

Sunnee slowly opened her eyes to find Dylan staring at her. "You're awake..." she said. Dylan nodded his head. "How are you feeling?" she asked. "Much better, especially now that you're beside me." Dylan said. He put his hand on her cheek, and caressed it. "Did I scare you?" he asked. 

 

Sunnee let out a sad smile. "I thought I'm going to lose you..." she said. She didn't realize that tears were falling from her cheeks as she looked at him. "I thought you're going to leave me too..." she said. Dylan shook his head. "I will never do that. I will never leave you. Trust me, OK?" he said. 

 

He let Sunnee lay beside him on his hospital bed. He had his arms around her, hugging her tight. "Remember the first time that we met?" Dylan asked her. "At the wedding?"

"No, not there..."

Sunnee gave him a confused look. "The old tower house?" she asked again. 

"Think again."

Sunnee let out a pout. "Where?" 

 

Dylan smiled at her. "Back in high school. At the chapel of your school. You were crying, and I approached you. I said back then, a girl's tear if very precious... and that you're cuter when you smile." he said. Sunnee let out a smile as she remembered that, but she didn't know it was Dylan back then. 

 

He wiped the tear from her cheeks, and gazed at her. "The moment I saw you, I told myself, I will never make this girl cry. I wish to give her all the happiness in the world. I want to see her smiling alaways..."

"You made me happy, Dylan..."

"And you made me want to live. You are the reason the unknown forces wanted me to live And you will be the only reason for me to keep breathing..."

 

Dylan just smiled sad at her. He cupped her chin, and kissed her for a long time. "I'll always love you, Sunnee, don't ever forget that. No matter what happens today or tomorrow, I will always, always love you..." he said. 

 

Sunnee just hugged Dylan tighter. She's still scared of what will happen to him, but he just have to trust in his words, and his promise that he won't leave her.

 

--

 

It was the day of Pets and Evan's departure. 

 

They wanted to leave as quietly as they could, not saying goodbye to everyone. As Pets got out of the house, she saw Wes standing before her. 

 

"Wes?" she asked. She was surprised that he was here. "I know you're leaving today. Are you going to leave without saying goodbye?" he asked. Pets looked away from him. "It's better that way. It's better if we leave without anyone knowing." she said. 

 

"Why, don't you think no one will miss you if you leave?" Wes asked her. "Will you miss me?" Pets asked. She looked at him with hopes in her eyes. Wes didn't say a word. Instead, she pulled her into a hug. Pets was surprised at what he did. 

 

"I love you. Don't leave me, Pets." he told her. Suddenly, she felt her tears fall from her eyes again. "I'm sorry for what I have done to you in the past. I'm sorry for treating you so bad..."

"I.... I love you too, Wes... I know you only did that to protect Sunnee... I understand. "

 

Wes looked at her, and held her cheeks. "Don't leave, OK? Stay with me." he said. "But..." Pets looked at her brother, and saw him smiling at her. Evan nodded his head at her. "Let me take care of you and our baby..." Wes said. 

 

Pets was surprised that he knew he's pregnant. But still, she's happy. Because the man she loves, loves him too, and he had accepted her and his child. "All right, I'll stay here with you." Pets said. The two of them hugged once again. 

 

Evan let out a sigh. "So, I guess it will just be me, leaving, huh?" Evan said. He looked at Wes, and patted his shoulder. "Take care of my sister, OK?" Evan said. Wes nodded his head. "Evan..." Pets called him. Evan looked back at her. "Aren't you going to say goodbye to Sunnee, at least?" she asked. 

 

Evan just looked at them for a long time, and thought for a while. 

 

--

 

Sunnee was at the flower shop that day, checking on the flowers. They had not opened that day since she had to go to the hospital to visit Dylan. 

 

She heard the door open. "Sorry but we're closed..." she said. As she looked back, she saw Evan walking towards her. "Evan ge..." she said. Evan let out a sad smile. "I just came to say goodbye." he said. Sunnee then realized it's the day of them leaving going back to Canada. 

 

"Also, I wanted to see you one last time." he said. "Evan ge... do you really have to leave?" she asked. Evan nodded his head. "It's for the best. So that I can forget my feelings for you." he said. 

 

He stared at her for a long time. He cupped her cheek as smiled sadly at her. "I know that no matter how hard I try, I can't make you smile the way Dylan does. No matter what I do, you can't love me like you loved him. You only see me as your brother. You will never choose me. It hurts, but I had to accept it. And I know I had to let you go." Evan told her.  Tears fell from his eyes as he spoke to her. 

 

"I'm sorry, Evan. I'm sorry if I can't love you the way you want to. But I did love you in a way that I know. You are important to me, because you're like a brother to me. I'm sorry if I can't choose you, because my heart already belongs to Dylan." Sunnee told him. Evan nodded his head. "I understand. You know that I always wanted you to be happy. And if it means I'm not part of it... if you found it in someone else, then I accept it." Evan said. 

 

Both of them were tear eyed that moment. Sunnee knew she will miss him. And Evan knew he had to let her go. Evan leaned on her, and kissed her on her forehead. "Goodbye, Sunnee..." he said. 

 

As he turned to leave, Sunnee could only watch him. "Goodbye..." she whispered. 

 

--

 

Evan sat on the plane as he looked outside the window. A few minutes more, and he will be leaving Taipei. He knew he made the right decision, but still, his heart ached for Sunnee. 

 

"Oh, this must be my seat..."

 

He looked up, and saw a red haired girl sat beside him. She looked at her, and smiled. Then, Evan smiled back at her. 

 

--

 

"Sunnee, you need to come over."

"Eunice? What happened?"

"Dylan had another attack...."

 

Sunnee ran through the hall of the hospital to get to Dylan's room. As she reached the room, she could see the nurses and Brent trying to  revive him. "Dylan..." she said. Her eyes became wet seeing how Dylan had been suffering.

 

"No... Dylan... please live..." She said as she cried. Eunice held her as she cried. She saw Dylan look at her, his hand reaching out to her. "I... love... you..."

 

Then, there was a flat line.