First Love - Part 5

Always Loving You

Sunnee fell asleep again, and Dylan stayed by her side this time. Not only is he worried about her, somehow, he felt hurt that she thought he is Wayne. 

 

"I'm sorry for what happened..." Wes told him as he entered her room. "It always happens when she takes that strong medicine. When she wakes up, she would hallucinate, and think that the person with her is Wayne. Happens to me all the time." Wes explained. Dylan just nodded his head. 

 

"She can't forget him, can't she?" he asked sadly. "It's not that she can't forget him. It's just that..." Wes paused, and looked at Sunnee. He knew it could be because of the forgotten memory before the accident, but he doesn't want Dylan to know. "She's not fully recovered yet. It will take time, years most likely, for her to forget everything." Wes explained. 

 

Dylan looked at Sunnee, and held her hand. "What can I do to make her well?" he asked him. "A lot of understanding and patience. There would be times that her attack would be mild, some attacks make it worst for her. Sometimes, she would slip into the past, or think the person before her is Wayne. If you truly love my sister, you will have to be patient with her. It will be hard for you, but it is much harder for her." Wes explained. 

 

--

 

[Flashback]

 

She could only watch him kiss another girl as her heart is breaking. She wanted to move, but she couldn't. She wanted to run away, but she couldn't. It took her all of her remaining strength to turn around and run away from that scene. 

 

Her sight became blurry as she ran while she was crying. "He will never know that I love him..." she thought as she wiped the tears from her eyes. "It would be better if he never knew what I feel... because if he did, it will all be for naught..." she said to herself. 

 

She finally reached the school gate, and was greeted by Wes who was smiling at her. "Qing Er -"

"Take me home."

 

She told him as she put on her helmet. Wes gave her a confused look. "What's wrong?" he asked She put on her helmet and then hopped on Wes' motorcycle. "Just take me home!" she told him as she cried. Wes let out a sigh, and got on his bike. He started the engine, and the two of them left the school. 

 

On their ride home, Wes felt Sunnee leaned her head on his back. Despite the noise of his motorcycle and the noise on the street, he could hear her sobbing. He felt her hands hug him tight as she cried through their ride. 

 

As soon as they reached their house, Sunnee immediately took off her helmet, and ran inside the house. Wes followed her, and found her inside her room, crying on her bed. Wes could only sigh sadly as he watched her. He didn't want to see her this way. In fact, she didn't see her cry this much since her mother's death. "If he'll just hurt you, then he doesn't deserve you..." he thought. 

 

--

 

Days passed by, and Sunnee tried to avoid Wayne as possible as she could. She had resigned herself to the fact that she isn't someone Wayne wouldn't like, and decided to keep her feelings to herself. But whenever she passes by the music room, she could only hear Wayne play a sad piece on the piano. 

 

She could only watch him from afar as he play the piano, just like before. Before Wayne could catch her watching him, she would go. Although outside, she looks happy in front of her friends, she knew deep inside that she's in pain, especially whenever she sees him. 

 

It's Valentine's day, and everyone seems to be busy giving chocolates and confessing to the one they like. "Ugh, why do our school have to celebrate Valentine's day? Didn't they know that companies only made that up to sell more chocolates?!" Eunice complained as the three of them were walking to their classroom. "You know a lot, Eunice. Just because you don't have a love life, doesn't mean you have to bitter about it." Cosmos said. Eunice just rolled her eyes at her. 

 

"Anyway, since I don't have anyone to confess too, here's some chocolates!" Sunnee said, giving them boxed of chocolates. "Wow, thank you, Qing Er Mei Mei! Of course, I'm willing to date you."  Eunice . Sunnee just laughed. "Also, give this to your friend, Qi Qi. I hope he likes dark chocolates." Sunnee said. Eunice's smile widened upon giving her another box of chocolate. "Oh, Sunnee! You're such a life saver! Do you know, whenever you give me chocolates, he always devours it all, even if it's bad for him. Don't worry, I'll give this to Qi Qi." she said.

 

As they were walking, they saw Wayne stand before them. He looked at Sunnee, and smiled sadly. Sunnee just looked away from him. "So, Sunnee, where will you and Wes go to date today?" Cosmos asked. Sunnee gave her a confused look. "You and your boyfriend will go out today, right?" Cosmos said again. emphasizing on the word boyfriend. 

 

As Sunnee looked at Wayne, he saw him look away from her. He decided to walk as fast as he could away from their group. "Cosmos!" Eunice scolded her. "What? He's the first one who hurt Qing Er Mei Mei. I'm just protecting her." Cosmos said with a pout. Sunnee just looked at them and smiled. "It's all right. It's better this way. Thank you for helping me." Sunnee said. 

 

Eunice and Cosmos looked at each other, and then hugged her. "It's all right, Qing Er Mei Mei! If Wes ge won't date you today, we'll be your dates instead!" Eunice said. "We'll be your Valentines date." Cosmos said. Sunnee let out a laugh. She laughed and laughed until there were tears in her eyes. 

 

She was lucky to have friends like them. She was happy with how the two have supported her during her heartbreak. With them around, she had forgotten how hurt she is. But she knew deep inside, she still longs for Wayne. 

 

--

 

Sunnee went back to the classroom, and on her desk, she saw a small box. "Who put this here?" she thought as she took the box. On it was a note. "Meet me at the music room." it says. She felt her heart beat fast upon reading that card. "Did this came from Wayne?" she thought. 

 

She opened the box, and saw chocolates on it. She remembered that when they saw Wayne a while ago, he was holding the same box. She took a deep breath, and then went outside the classroom to go  to the music room. 

 

As she stood outside the music room, she heard Wayne playing that sad tune again. "Should I go inside? Why does he want to meet me? What if this is a prank?" she thought. A lot of things are going through her mind. She wanted to back out, and just leave, but something is telling her to stay.

 

She held the knob of the door, and slowly opened it. Wayne continued to play the piano as she slowly walked towards her. And as she made her last step, the sad tune ended. Wayne remained facing the piano, while she stared at his back. 

 

"You're here..." he said. "You... you gave me the chocolates?" she asked. She saw him nod his head. "But why?" she asked. Wayne stood up from his seat, and turned to face her. "Because I like you." he said. Sunnee was surprised at what she said. 

 

"You... you like me?" she asked. She can't believe what he just said. It felt like she's dreaming. "I don't know why all of a sudden, you're avoiding me. I just thought, maybe it's because of your boyfriend..." Wayne explained. "I was avoiding you because I saw you and Sylvia here at the music room. You... you were kissing her." Sunnee said. 

 

Wayne's eyes widened upon hearing that. "You saw that?" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. Then, he smiled. "So, I'm right... you were outside the music room that time."

"And there's rumors about you and Sylvia..."

"Sylvia likes me. Yes, that's true. That day that you saw me, I turned her down. She couldn't accept it, so she forced a kiss on me."

 

Sunnee found herself smiling upon hearing the truth. "Really?" she asked. Wayne nodded his head. "I was waiting for you that day. Because, I wanted to tell you how I feel, and I want to clear the things about me and Sylvia. But you never showed up again, and you have been avoiding me..." he told her. "That day I saw you and Sylvia, I was planning to tell you that... I like you too." she said. 

 

Wayne's lips formed into a smile. "My brother told me that if.. if I don't tell you how I feel, I will regret it. And so I ran here to find you, to tell you how I feel. I said, it's going to be OK if he turns me down, as long as I was able to say it. But I saw you with Sylvia..." she added. "So, you avoided me instead?" Wayne asked. Sunnee nodded her head.

 

"I like you, Sunnee." he said once again. "I know, I don't have a chance because of your boyfriend..."

"He's not my boyfriend!"

 

Wayne gave her a confused look. He could see her cheeks blushing as she looked down. "He's my big brother. I only told you he's my boyfriend because of the rumors between you and Sylvia... and because I was hurt that time." she told him. She heard him laugh. Sunnee slowly look up at him, and at that moment, his smiling face seemed to glow with the ray of sun coming from the window. 

 

Then, he held her hand. He looked her in her eyes, and smiled gently at her. "You are the best thing that happened to me today." he told her. Sunnee smiled back at him. "I've been watching you for a long time, Sunnee. I fell in love with how you smile. I fell in love with how happy you are always. I fell in love with everything you are. The more that I watch you from afar, the more that I'm falling in love with you, the more reason that I am in love with you. And I want to know... will you let me love you?" he asked. With that, Sunnee nodded her head. 

 

Wayne kissed her on her forehead, and hugged her tight. "I love you, my Sunnee..." he whispered to her ear. 

 

[End Of Flashback]

 

Sunnee slowly opened her eyes, and the first person she saw is Dylan, who is watching her as she sleeps. "You're awake..." Dylan said. Sunnnee nodded her head. She sat up from her bed, and faced her. "I'm sorry..." she said in low voice.

 

Dylan let out a faint smile as he cupped her cheek. "Don't be." he said. "I don't know why I'm having another attack. I thought... I thought I'm OK now... I thought I'm no longer sick..." she said. "It's all right. You don't have to worry, because I will always take care of you." he said. 

 

Sunnee's face became sad as she looked away from him. "But... I don't want to be a burden to you..." she said. Dylan shook his head. "You are not a burden. I love you, and I won't let you go through this alone." he said. "But you don't have to..."

"Sunnee, I am your boyfriend now. Whatever pains you, whatever hurts you, I want you to share it with me."

 

Sunnee looked at him for a long time. "But Dylan.." Before she could further protest, Dylan pulled her into a hug. "Believe me when I say that I love you, that I can take care of you. Believe me when I say I'll stay. Sunnee, you mean the whole world to me. I don't know what to do if I lose you. I know, you're thinking you made a bad decision by finally accepting my love, but I will prove to you that you didn't. Because I will always be here for you. I will help you get through this, and maybe help you let Wayne go. Let me love you, and let me love heal you..."

 

Sunnee closed her eyes, and hugged him back. Still, she's unsure if she made the right decision that night. Because there is one person standing in between the two of them. And that is Wayne.