First Love - Part 4

Always Loving You

[Flashback]

 

Sunnee sat outside their house with a guitar on her hand. She looked away as she began to strum it. 

 

"Is it okay if I call you mine?

Just for a time

And I will be just fine

If I know that you know that I'm wanting

Needing your love

  

If I ask of you is it all right

If I ask you to hold me tight

Through a cold dark night

Cause there may be a cloudy day in sight

And I need to let you know that I might

Be needing your love

  

And what I'm trying to say isn't really new

It's just the things that happen to me

When I'm reminded of you..."

 

From the door, Wes watched his little sister play the guitar while singing. Knowing her sister, when she sings a sad son, it means something is bothering her. He took a deep breath, and then joined Sunnee. "Ge..." Sunnee called him the moment he sat beside her. "Go on. Don't mind me." Wes said. 

 

Sunnee sighed as she hugged her guitar. "Is something wrong, Qing Er Mei Mei?" he asked. "Ge, what do you do if you like someone who you know can't like you back?" she asked. "Simple. I find a new person to like and move on." he said with a smiled. "Ge... I'm serious, all right?" she said. 

 

"Boy problems?" Wes asked. Sunnee let out a sigh. "This guy you're talking about, is this the guy who called you at the restaurant?" he asked. She didn't answer him. Instead, she let out a big sigh as she made a sad expression on her face. 

 

He put his arm around her, and lifted her chin. "Mei Mei, what did I tell you before? Don't take love too seriously. You're only 17. You have you whole life ahead of you. Life is too short to make guys that don't like you a big problem." Wes said. "I never really liked any guy, Ge... it's just that he... he had this big impact on me."

"There would be a lot of boys that will be interested in you. You may meet someone better than that guy. It's not like he's a God of handsomeness or something, right?"

"He just happened to be the most handsome and most talented guy in our school..."

"Believe me, there is someone more handsome than him. Am I not that handsome for your liking?" 

 

Sunnee laughed as Wes made a finger gun under his chin. "Of course, my big brother is the most handsome. And the smartest too!" Sunnee said. Wes pulled Sunnee closer, and hugged her. "See? So don't take things too seriously, all right? Remember, you are still too young to think about those things. It's OK to like someone, but you have to accept that that person can like someone else too." Wes said. Sunnee nodded her head. Then, she gave him a hug. "Thank you, Wes Ge!" she said smiling at him. "You're welcome, Qing Er Mei Mei!" Wes said, as he kissed her forehead. 

 

--

 

Sunnee was alone at the library, looking for another book to borrow and read. As she was walking along the shelf, she noticed a pair of eyes looking at her. From the gap in the shelf, she noticed Wayne staring at her with a sad look on his face. 

 

"Wayne?" she called. She heard him sigh. She saw him walk away, and before she knew it, he was in front of him. "Sunnee..." he called. "Are you following me?" she asked. Wayne nodded his head. "I want to ask.. why didn't you come to the music room this morning?" he asked her. 

 

Sunnee looked away from him. The truth is, she decided not to meet him that morning to avoid him. After Wes talked some sense to her last night, she decided that it would be better if she would just avoid him completely. "I waited for you..." Wayne said in a hurt tone. 

 

"I'm sorry. I know I promised I will meet you at the music room but I.... I woke up late. And I got to school late. So, I decided to go straight to our room and wait for the classes to start." she lied to him. Then, Wayne held her hand. "Then, will you meet me today at the music room after class?" he asked. Sunnee shook her head. "I can't, Wayne. I'm sorry... I'm meeting... I'm meeting him... my boyfriend." she lied again. 

 

She saw the hurt look in his face upon hearing what she said. "Oh... I forgot all about him..." he said in a low voice. His shoulder fell as he let go of her hand. "Then, have fun later, all right? Take care." he said. Sunnee just nodded her head. 

 

She watched as Wayne slowly turned to leave. But after he made a few steps, he turned to face her again. This time, as he walked in front of her, he pulled her into a hug. Sunnee was taken aback at what he did. As he hugged her, she felt her own heart beating fast. "Wayne, why are you like this? You're making it hard for me not to forget how much I like you..." she thought sadly. 

 

"Five more minutes..." Wayne said as he hugged her tighter. "Just give me five more minutes to be with you..." he told her. She let him hug him in those five minutes. She let out a sad smile as she closed her eyes. She let herself get lost in those five minutes that Wayne hugged her. If there would be a moment she wants to remember forever, and to replay over and over in her entire life, she knew this would be it. Because this is the best five minutes of her life. 

 

She felt Wayne let her go, and that was the time she slowly opened her eyes. He didn't say a word. Instead, he turned around again, and walked away from her. Sunnee could only watch his back as he leaves. "I know I should stay away from you, but why does my heart hurt this much? I can't let you go, yet you're not even mine to begin with..." she thought sadly. 

 

--

 

"OK, class. take out your books." 

 

Sunnee heard her Chinese Language teacher say. "Sunnee, can you recite the the first stanza of the poem on page 67?" she heard the teacher say. She stood up, holding the book in her hand, and began to read the poem  on it. 

 

"The furthest distance in the world

is not between life and death

but when I stand in front of you,

yet you don’t know that I love you..."

 

As she read that line, she suddenly remembered Wayne. How she had always liked him. How she could only watch him from afar, and admire him in secret. When she thought she had her chance, she found out about him having a girlfriend. She wanted to forget him, but their last encounter just made it more difficult for her to forget his feelings for him.  

 

She sat down, and read that line over and over. She heard her teacher call another classmate to read the second stanza. But she isn't listening to it. Rather, she was just staring at the words she had just read aloud. 

 

"You won't know that I love you..." she thought. Before she knew it, the bell rang and the classes ended. "He won't know that I loved him..." she said to herself silently. She was thinking of those words as she walked through the school gates. There, he found Wes waiting for her. 

 

"Qing Er Mei Mei!" he greeted happily. Wes noticed the sad look on her face. "Sunnee? What's wrong?" he asked as he approached her. Sunnee looked up at him, and then she hugged him tight. She leaned her head on his chest, and cried to him. "He... he won't know how much I love him..." she said as she cried. 

 

Wes caressed her head as he let her cry on him. "The guy you like?" he asked. He saw Sunnee nod her head. "Do you really love him?" he asked again. Sunnee nodded her head again. "Then, you have to let him know how you feel. So that you won't have any regrets..." Wes said. "I'm scared..." she said, burying her head on his chest. "I'm scared of what will happen. I'm scared to find out the truth..."

 

Wes lifted her chin, and looked at her in her eyes. "Sunnee, you know what's the greatest regret that people make?" he asked. Sunnee shook her head. "It's loving someone, and never telling them how you truly feel. It's keeping your love inside you, and hurting yourself with it silently. If your heart can't take it anymore, then you have to tell him." he said. 

 

Sunnee looked at him, realizing her brother is right. "I should tell him how I feel..." she whispered. Wes smiled, and nodded her head. Then, she turned around, and ran back inside the classroom. She ran to the music room, for she know she will find it. 

 

But as she opened the door, she saw something that hurt her the most. It was Wayne, kissing Sylvia on the lips. 

 

[End Of Flashback]

 

"Wayne!"

 

Sunnee sat up from her bed. She stared at the blank wall before her, and then, she cried once again. "Why can't I forget you? Why do your memories keep haunting me?" he thought as she buried her head on her arms. 

 

God knows that for the last three years, she tried to forget him. She was trying to move on. But every time she tries to be happy, she felt guilty. Because she knew, she is the reason why Wayne died that night. She wanted to remember what happened on the night of the accident, but every time she does, her mind goes blank. Then, flashes of his memories will come back to her. His voice, saying words she does not remember filled her ears. Her head will ache, and she will go into another panic attack. 

 

It made her sick, and she no longer want to be sick. She wanted to go back to being normal, who lived happily. And she wanted to love again. But it felt that it's Wayne's memories that's stopping her from being happy. 

 

"Sunnee..." she heard a calm voice call her. She felt warm hands holding hers. She looked up, and although her eyes are blurry from crying, she could clearly see him. "Are you all right?" he asked. Her eyes welled up upon seeing him. 

 

"Wayne!" she said as she hugged him tight. Dylan was taken aback at the name she called. "Why did you leave me, Wayne? Why did you go? Please tell me you won't leave me ever again... please tell me you'll stay with me..."

 

Feeling hurt at what she said, Dylan hugged her back to console her. "I... I won't leave you again, Sunnee..." he said with pain in his voice. "I promise you..."