Fancy Meeting You

Always Loving You

Sunnee realized he had been staring at Dylan for a long time. Dylan found himself staring at himself into  her brown eyes. Having her in his arms somehow felt right, like she fitted into that space. She looked away from him as she blushed. "I... I'm sorry..." she said. Dylan helped her up. "No, it's my fault. I wasn't looking. Are you all right?" Dylan asked. Sunnee nodded her head. Dylan gazed at her as he smiled. The petal confetti just ended, but it looked as if it's still raining petals as he gazed at her. "Thank you for helping me." she told him. "You're welcome." he said. 

 

"Qing Er Mei Mei?"

 

Dylan looked behind Sunnee, and saw Eunice and Brent walking up to them. Sunnee looked back, and she smiled upon seeing her friend. "Eunice!" she said. Dylan watched as the two girls hugged. "Long time, no see! How have you been?" Eunice asked. "I'm doing good. You looked so much prettier, Eunice." Sunnee said. "You too." Eunice told her. 

 

Then, they heard Brent clear his throat. "Eunice, aren't you going to introduce us to your friend?" Brent said. Eunice smacked herself in the head. "Oopppss, I'm so sorry. Sunnee, this is Dr. Brent Hsu. He's one of my childhood friends. This is Sunnee Yang, my friend from high school." Eunice introduced them. Brent extended his hand to her. "Nice to meet you, Sunnee." Brent told her. "Same here." Sunnee told him. 

 

Then, they turned to Dylan. "And this is Dylan Xiong. Another childhood friend of mine. Dylan, this is Sunnee." Eunice said. As Dylan smiled at Sunnee, she couldn't help but stare at him. "I'm glad we're formally introduced now. It's nice to meet you, Sunnee." he said, extending his hand. She felt the warmth of his hand as she held it. "It's nice to meet you, Dylan." she said. 

 

Dylan held Sunnee's hand for a long time, until Eunice cleared . They could see the red tint in his cheek the moment he let go of her hand. "Ah, Sunnee, why don't you join us in our table? I'm sure Lucia wouldn't mind if I steal you from her." Eunice said. Sunnee just smiled, and nodded her head. 

 

The two girls went to their table, while Dylan and Brent just watched them. "I think Sunnee likes me." Brent told him. Dylan looked at him, and smiled. Brent let out a laugh. "Just kidding. But all I know is, you found your mermaid. Not the long haired one, but she can pass as your mermaid." Brent told him. "Brent..."

"Dylan, don't deny it. I've seen the way you looked at her."

"And?"

"You like the girl. I think she kinda likes you too."

 

Dylan let out a smile. "She's pretty." he told his friend. "And?" Brent asked. Brent waited for his next answer, but Dylan simply smiled at him.

 

--

 

"Eunice, care to dance?" Brent asked as he bowed before his friend. Eunice just rolled her eyes at him. "Oh, please... I don't want to embarrass myself when you dance crazily again." she told him. Sunnee and Dylan laughed at the two, as Brent pouted at Eunice. Then, Brent turned to Lucia, who was sitting beside Eunice. 

 

"Lucia, how about a dance?" he asked. Lucia smiled at him, then looked at Eunice. "Don't mind if I do." she said. She took Brent's hand, and he lead her at the dance floor. The three watched as Lucia and Brent danced like crazy. Dylan could only laugh, while Eunice shook her head, embarrassed at her friends. 

 

"Why, Brent, why?" she said as she buried her head on her hand. "Hey, give Brent some slack. You know how serious he is everyday. It's one of these rare moments that he can let lose." Dylan said. "Being a doctor must be so stressful for him, huh?" Sunnee commented. Eunice looked at her. "Yeah, especially if you have a patient as stubborn as Dylan." Eunice said. 

 

Sunnee looked at Dylan. "You're Brent's patient?" she asked. Dylan nodded his head. "I was originally his father's patient. Then, his father retired, so he handled my case." he said. "Brent's a cardiologist. And his specialty is fixing hearts, literally. He can fix broken hearts. Both literally and figuratively." Eunice said. "Oh, that's why." Sunnee said. 

 

Sunnee turned her attention to the dance floor, watching everyone dance. Then, as the song changed into a ballad one, she saw every one slow dance. "Sunnee, would you like to dance?" she heard Dylan say. Sunnee looked at him, and saw his cheek turn red. Eunice let out a teasing smile at him. "Ooohhh... how bold of our Dylan to ask a girl to dance." she teased. Sunnee let out a smile at him. "B-but I don't know how to..." she said.

 

"Dylan is a good dancer. Why don't you let him teach you." Eunice suggested. Dylan looked at her. He found himself looking into her almond eyes as she smiled. "If... if only you want to..." he said shyly. "Come on, go and dance with him. Don't get stuck here, just sitting on the table!" Eunice encouraged her. Sunnee looked shyly at him. "T-then, I'll apologize to you if I step on your foot by accident." Sunnee told him. 

 

As Dylan stood up from his seat, he let out a smile. He held out his hand to her. "Then, may I have this dance?"  he asked. She looked up at him and smiled. He felt the warmth of her palm as she held her hand. "Yes, you may." she said as she stood up. As he lead to the dance floor, Dylan only had her eyes on her. Sunnee put her hand on his shoulder, and Dylan held her other hand. He put his other hand on her waist, and they slowly danced to the ballad. 

 

She felt a bit shy as Dylan gazed at her. "Don't look at me like that..." she told him. "Why? Am I making you uncomfortable? I'm sorry if that's the case..." he said. Sunnee shook her head. "I just feel like today, you're only looking at me, when there's other girls here that could have your attention." 

 

He smiled at her as he held her close. "What if you're the only girl I want to pay attention to for today?" he asked. Sunnee smiled shyly at him. "I'm flattered..." she told him. Then, their gazes met. At that moment, Dylan could only hear the song in his ears. He felt that everyone around them had disappeared, and he and Sunnee were alone at the dance floor. He felt his heart beat fast as he touched her. Nothing else mattered that moment, but him and Sunnee together. 

 

"Is this what it feels to be in love? Have I fallen in love with her at first sight? Why is this feeling so familiar to me? Why is she so familiar to me?" he thought as he looked into her eyes. "Why do I feel I've known you for so long? Why is it that I've been used to having you by my side?" 

 

He had so many questions in his mind as he danced with her. But despite all those questions, he loved the feeling of having her around his arms. "Maybe, this is what Brent has been telling me about falling in love. Maybe I have fallen in love with her, that's why I'm feeling this way..." he said to himself. 

 

"Dylan?" he heard Sunnee call her. He snapped out of his thoughts when she called his name. "I'm a little tired. Can we go back to our table? My shoes are killing me." she said. "You're still not used to wearing heels, right?" he asked. 

 

Sunnee gave him a confused look. "How does he know that?" she thought. The only person who knows she's not used to wearing high heels is Wayne. And he would say those words to her when she complains about wearing it for a long time. "Y-yes... I'm not used to it." she answered her. "Then, let's go back." he told her. 

 

They went back to the table, and Sunnee immediately saton the chair. Then, Dylan knelt in front of her, and held her foot. "Dylan!" she exclaimed. Dylan slowly took off her shoes. At that moment, she remembered how Wayne would usually help her take off her heels when she's tired, and how he would massage her foot, like how Dylan is right now. 

 

"Are you feeling much better?" Dylan asked her. Sunnee was surprised at him. "I... yes..." she said in a state of shock. Dylan let out a smile, and stood up. "Would you like something to drink? I can get something for you at the bar." he said. Sunnee just nodded her head. As Dylan left, she looked at her back. "He's too similar to Wayne..." she thought.

 

--

 

Evan sat on the living room, with Sunnee's picture on his hand. "What is it that you lost before?" he thought. "Ah, still looking at our long haired Sunnee?" he heard his stepdad say. Evan looked at him and nodded his head. 

 

"Dad, you said before that she lost something important to her in her car accident, right? I'm just curious as to what it is." Evan told him. Jack let out a sigh as he sat beside him. "Sunnee had a boyfriend before. His name is Wayne. They had been together since high school. Sunnee love him so much, and so does Wayne. That night of the accident,  she lost him." Jack explained. 

 

Evan furrowed his brow as he looked at him. "You mean to say, Wayne died?" Evan asked. Jack nodded her head. "After Wayne dad, Sunnee became depressed. She was always crying. She even tried to kill herself. If it wasn't for Pets and Wes, Sunneee wouldn't still be OK today. They kept her busy by opening a flower shop with her." Jack explained. 

 

Jack peeked at the picture Evan was holding. "Sunnee used to love her long hair. But after the accident, she cut it, and kept it short. Maybe it's part of her trying to heal herself. Wayne loved her hair as well, and as long as she had a long hair, she will always remember him. She will still get hurt. But I know, she still has not moved on from Wayne's death. She maybe smiling, but you can see the sadness in her eyes. From time to time, she would spend her time at Wayne's grave. Losing her great love had hurt her the most." Jack told him. 

 

Evan looked at her picture again. Jack is right. The girl on the picture is different from Sunnee today. There was happiness in her eyes on the picture, while you can see pain in Sunnee's eyes today. "I only wanted my daughter to be happy. I hope one day, she will find her happiness again." Jack said. 

 

Evan smiled at him. "I promise..." he said. "I promise I will do everything to make Sunnee happy again."