Can't Lose You

Always Loving You

Sunnee just sat on her bed, when her phone rang. She looked at the phone, and saw Dylan's name flashing on the screen. She let out a smile as she answered his call. "Sorry wrong number." she said. She heard him laugh on the other line. "You can't fool me, I've memorized your voice." he told her. "Really?"

"I did."

"Did you record our conversation the night before?"

"No, but I can remember things well. So I know how your voice sounds like."

 

Sunnee let out a smile. "Don't tell me you called me because you miss me?" she asked. "What if I did?" he asked. She fell silent. She doesn't know why, but she found herself smiling at what he said. "I know, it's weird. We had lunch together today, but the moment you left, I started to miss you..." Dylan told her. "Sweet talker!"

"I'm telling the truth!"

"Don't tell me you have fallen in love with me?"

 

Dylan smiled as she asked that question. "What if I did?" he asked. He heard Sunnee let out a hearty laugh. "You're not just a sweet talker, you're also a joker, Dylan." she said. "Don't you believe in love at first sight?"

"Even if it's true, why would you fall in love with me?"

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I'm not as pretty as the other girls. For sure, Eunice can introduce to other pretty girls..."

"Well, I'm not interested in other girls. I'm only interested in one girl. And that is you."

 

Sunnee found herself smiling again. "All right, if you say so. Although, I don't think I'm that interesting..." she said. "You are interesting." he assured her. "I think you're just sleepy that's why you're saying those things." she told him. "No, I'm not yet sleepy. Why, are you sleepy?"

"Not yet."

"Then, we can still carry on with this conversation, right?"

"Ha! Whoever yawns first will treat the winner to ice cream."

 

Then, Dylan faked a yawn, making Sunnee laugh. "All right..." he said as he yawned. Hearing her laugh made him smile. "I won! You owe me an ice cream." she told him. "Then, the next time I'll see you, I'll treat you to a cookie dough ice cream, all right?" 

"I'm looking forward to it."

 

Then, Dylan heard her yawn. "I guess you need to rest now. Good night?" he said. "Good night, Dylan." Sunnee told him. "Sunnee..."

"Hmmm..."

"I can't wait to see you again."

 

Sunnee let out a smile. "Me too." she told him. 

 

--

 

"You what?!"

 

Brent exclaimed after Dylan told him about his conversation with Sunnee the night before. Dylan massaged the side of his ear, as it hurt from his loud voice. "Tone down your voice, Brent." he told him. "Did you just confess to her?!" Brent asked again. 

 

"Is that a confession?" he asked innocently. Brent smacked himself in the head. "I just told her that I'm interested in her. And that -"

"And you asked her 'What if I fell in love with you?' That's like a confession!" Brent told him. Dylan gave him an embarrassed look. "Oh, I didn't know..." Dylan said, scratching his head. Brent folded his arm as he shook his head. "And she just shook it off, right?" he asked. Dylan nodded his head. "Sorry, bro. You got rejected." Brent said. 

 

Dylan's eyes widened upon hearing what he said. "But, I haven't even made my move yet, and I'm rejected?!" he asked. Brent nodded his head. "You got friendzoned. She's not interested in you." he confirmed. "No way! I'm pretty sure it's not that way."

"Why don't you try calling her. If she answers your call, I'm wrong."

"If not?"

"Then you know the answer."

 

Dylan took out his phone, and dialed Sunnee's number. There was a few ring first, then the call got rejected. He tried calling again, but he got the busy tone. He looked at Brent sadly. "I guess you're right." he told him. 

 

--

 

Meanwhile, Sunnee and Evan were busy moving flowers from inside their shop to their back garden. "Be careful..." she told Evan as they moved a large pot. "This sure is heavy." Evan told her. They put down the pot, and rested for a while. 

 

"We have a lot of pots to carry back here, right?" Evan asked. Sunnee nodded her head. "I just wish Wes ge would come back sooner from his delivery so we could get more help. Then, she heard her phone ring. She took it from her back pocket, but then it slipped from her hand, and fell on the puddle of water in front of her. 

 

Evan could see the mortified look on her face as her phone fell on the water. "Oh no!" she exclaimed. Evan immediately took her phone, and turned it off. "Hey, don't worry. This is salvageable." he told her. They went inside the shop. He took some paper towels, and dried her phone. "Is it going to OK?" Sunnee asked worriedly. "It should be. We just need to dry it for the whole day." Evan told her. 

 

Sunnee was surprised at what he said. "Whole day?!" she asked. Evan nodded his head. He took the small vacuum cleaner, and dried her phone with it. "But..." her voice trailed as she looked at her phone. "Dylan... he might be calling me. What would he think if he could not reach me?" she thought.

 

"Are you thinking that your friend might not be able to reach you?" Evan asked. Sunnee looked up at him. "Even if he can't reach you on your phone, he should know where to find you, right?" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. Then, he let out a smile. "Don't worry. You might be able to use your phone tomorrow. I promise." Evan told her. 

 

--

 

The next day.

 

"OK, let's check it out now."

 

Evan told Sunnee and Wes as he took out her phone. He pressed on the on button, but nothing happened. Evan pressed it again, but the screen is still black. "Are you sure you dried it well?" Wes asked him. "I did. I really did!" Evan said. 

 

Evan looked at Sunnee and saw the sad look on her face. His heart wrenched seeing her this dejected. "Forget it. It's no use. It's already broken..." she said sadly. "Maybe I can bring this to a technician and have it fixed." Evan suggested. "I don't think so, especially if it's a water damage." Wes told him. 

 

Sunnee let out a sigh. She is sad because she had that phone for the longest time, and now it's broken. All the pictures and old messages she had there is gone in an instant. She is sad she can't retrieve her remaining memories with Wayne, and also sad that Dylan wouldn't be able to call her. 

 

"Then, let's just leave it as is. There's nothing we can do with my phone right now..." she said. Evan couldn't bear seeing Sunnee that sad. He knew he had to do something to make her smile. "But there's nothing to lose if we try, right? Let's try to get your phone fixed." Evan said. Sunnee sighed again. "It's all right, Evan ge. I'll just buy a new phone, maybe tomorrow." she said. 

 

Wes looked worriedly at Sunnee. He knows when she's this sad, something bad might happen to her again. "Qing Er Mei Mei, how about you go home first to rest. Besides, you've been stressed out since last night." he told her. Sunnee gave the taller guy a hesitant look. "But, the shop..."

"Pets and Evan's here. I'm also here. Let me take you home first, so you could rest, all right?" 

 

Sunnee could not help but agree to him. Then, she turned to Evan. "I'll leave the shop to your care first, all right?" she told Evan. Evan nodded his head. After Sunnee and Wes left to go home, Evan heard the phone ring. "Hello, Fleur Du Soleil. How may I help you?" he answered. 

 

"Hello, is Sunnee there?" the person on the other line asked. "Sorry, but she's not here. Do you want to leave a message?" Evan asked. He heard the person on the other line sigh. "Oh, it's all right. I'll call some other time." he said. 

 

As Dylan put the phone down, he let out another sad sigh. "Sunnee, are you avoiding me?" he thought sadly. 

 

--

 

Wes put a blanket over Sunnee as she slept. He kissed her on her forehead before he left her room. From outside, she saw her stepmom looking worried about her. "Aunt Pauline, don't worry. Qing Er Mei Mei will be fine. She just need to rest." he told her. 

 

"I'm worried about that kid, you know. Wes, you go with her tomorrow to buy a new phone, all right?" Pauline told him. Wes nodded his head. "But, I don't think it's just the phone she's worried about..." Wes said. Pauline gave him a confused look. "She had that phone for a long time. All of her remaining memories with Wes is there. I guess she's sad that she can't retrieve them." Wes said. 

 

Pauline let out a sigh. "Yes, Wayne... how could I forget. But I guess, with her phone getting broken, I hope it would be easier for her to forget him and move on with her life. But I know how much she loves that boy." Pauline said. Wes just fell silent at what she said. "I guess, it's better for Sunnee to forget about Wayne. It's for her good that she don't have to remember that night..." he thought. 

 

Then, Evan came home. "I'm home." he announced. "Oh, where's your sister?" Pauline asked. "Sis had something to work on, so she'll be coming home late. Where's Sunnee?" he asked. "She's sleeping right now." Wes told him. Evan just nodded his head. "But, can I see her? I won't disturb her, I promise." Evan said. 

 

Wes gave him a suspicious look. He looked at his hand, and noticed he is holding a paper bag. Then, he let out a playful smile. "All right. Just make sure not to wake her up." he told him. Evan nodded his head, and proceeded to enter Sunnee's room. 

 

Evan walked inside her room, and found her sound asleep. He stared at her for a long time, and found himself smiling. "When you're awake, you tend to worry a lot. When you're asleep, you looked so at peace." he thought. He placed the paper bag on her night stand. As he was about to leave, he gave Sunnee one last look. 

 

"I hope you'll like my gift to you..." he whispered to her. Then, he leaned down and kissed her cheek. 

 

--

 

Sunnee woke up the next day, and the first thing she noticed is the paper bag on her table. "What's this?" she asked as she sat up. She took the paper bag, and opened it. She was surprised to see a new phone inside. 

 

"A new phone!" she said excitedly as she took out the box. It wasn't just a new phone, it was the phone she had wanted to buy for a long time. She opened it, and then took the handset. She turned the phone, and navigated through it. She saw that the old messages and photos she had in her broke phone was transferred to her new phone. "But who gave it to me?" she asked. 

 

She went out of her room. She looked around, and saw no one is up yet. "Am I too early?" she asked. As she looked in front of her. Evan was already standing in front of her. She could only gaze at him as he smiled at her. "Good morning..." he said. Sunnee let out a smile to him. "Good morning." she said. 

 

Then, he noticed she was holding the new phone he gave her. "Ah, you finally found my gift to you." he said. Sunnee looked at her phone, then back at him. "You gave this to me?" she asked. Evan nodded his head. "I already had everything transferred from your old phone to the new one. I hope you liked it." he said. 

 

Sunnee smiled happily at him, and then she gave him a hug. Evan froze in his place as she hugged her. "Thank you, Evan ge! Thank you for always doing your best to make me happy." she said as she rested her head on his chest.

 

Evan felt his heart beat fast. He was scared that Sunnee would hear it. He lifted his arms, and hugged her back. "Didn't I tell you, I promised to always make you smile. I'll do everything to make you happy." he told her. Sunnee looked up at him. "I know. That's why I'm lucky to have a brother like you!" she said. 

 

Evan felt hurt at that. "B-brother?" he asked. Sunnee nodded her head. "Of course, you're my big brother, right?" she asked. Evan couldn't do anything but nod her head. She broke their hug, and Evan had to let her. "Thank you again for the new phone, ge. I'll just go and prepare for work today." she said. 

 

Evan stared at Sunnee as she went back to her room. "Brother..." he said to himself in a low voice. "But to me, I don't see you as my sister, Sunnee..." he thought sadly. 

 

--

 

It was early in the morning, and instead of going straight to his office, Dylan decided to pay Sunnee a visit at her shop. He stopped in front of her shop, and saw her tending on her flowers. "Should I go and approach her? What if she's really avoiding me?" he thought. He was still hesitant, but then he needed answers. If Sunnee rejects him, then he'll stop pursuing her. 

 

He walked towards her, and as he got nearer, Sunnee looked up to him. She smiled at him the moment she saw him. "Dylan! I can't believe you're here!" she said. Dylan just looked at her. "If she rejects me, then she shouldn't be smiling at me this way, right?" he asked in his thoughts. "Sunnee...." he said. 

 

"I was just about to call you, but I was thinking you might be busy. Also, I thought you might be mad at me for not answering your call." she told him. He gave her a worried look. "I've been trying to call you these past few days... are you avoiding me?" he asked. 

 

Sunnee shook her head. "Why should I avoid you? Didn't you promise to treat me for ice cream?" she asked. She could see the confusion written in his face. "My old phone got broken, and I got a new one. See?" she said, waving her new phone at him. 

 

Then, Dylan pulled her into a hug. All of his worries were all gone now that he was able to see and talk to her, especially since everything is clear to him. He got worried about her, that she voids him and that she rejects him. But now, all of it is gone, no that she is in his arms. 

 

Sunnee froze as Dylan hugged her. "I thought I lost you..." he said as he hugged her tight. He didn't want to let her go.  "I don't want to lose you..."