it was...

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Yewon dashed out of her classroom, her newly trained skills in dodging these slow idiots attempt at bothering her allowed her to almost seem like a ninja to the other oppressed students in her class.

"Hey! Why're you always running huh? Scaredy cat?"

Usually, she'd brush it off and head off as fast as she could to go see SinB, but today was today, not yesterday, nor the day yesterday. And today, she felt like she should stop it. She had no time to waste to run to her best friend's side.

Stopping in her tracks, she held the door frame with one hand, turned around to face the annoying bullies. Even the teacher stopped packing up their stuff to look at the unusual silence that encompassed the room. Giving her most fierce glare, Yewon stood there.

"What's wrong? Can't speak?"

They sneered at her and she stopped glaring, instead, she sighed.

"It's pathetic."

"What you?"

"I pity you, imbeciles of the lowest degree who can't find anything better to do than try to stomp on other's happiness. I know you, you think SinB is the coolest kindergartener for rebelling and coming to recess to hang out with me, ooooh breaking the rules so daring."

"What?! The heck are you talking about!"

"Oh that cool girl from the school next door hangs out with the cutie in my class? Score!"

Yewon mocked them, she knew what they talked about, she knew what they thought of her. An easy target.

"Just because you think I'm pretty doesn't mean I want you to bother me. Besides! That's not how you make friends with girls, brainless fools!"

They were stunned, good. Brushing her hair back roughly, she huffed and stepped backwards out of the door.

"Mess with me again and I'm calling my oppa."

"H-hiding behind an older sibling? Hah! C-coward!"

They kept yelling things behind her, but she said what she wanted to say, now, to see SinB.

Spotting her under their tree, Yewon was pleseantly surprised that SinB had something with her.

"Hey Eunbi, what's that?"

SinB looked conflicted, opening and closing several times before sound came out. Instead, she handed the small box to Yewon.

"You tell me."

"What? Who gave it to you?"

"Tiffany unnie did."

"You call her unnie now?"

"I-it just happened that way."

Popping off the top of the small cube lunchbox, Yewon tilted her head in confusion.

"Eunbi ah, this is lunch, shouldn't you be eating it later?"

"Th-that's normal lunch for you?"

"What do you mean by normal? This is a small omurice with a heart on it?"

SinB groaned and held her hand to her forehead.

"This is normal lunch you're telling me?"

"Like I said, what do you mean by normal?"

Yewon carefully capped it again and handed it back to SinB, who was now sat at the trunk of the tree, holding the cube like it was the most precious thing in the world.

"Yewon ah, I have two of these."

"What's in the other one?"

"Goldfish crackers?"

Yewon giggled, it finally clicked in her head, SinB wasn't used to such a love filled lunchbox, much less a snack. Hugging one of SinB's arms, Yewon just sighed, happily leaning back on the tree.

"Eunbi yah, you were supposed to bring the other one out for break."

"Eh? Why? I mean I only brought this because I didn't quite understand why there was a heart on it and all but..."

"The other one is your snack for the day, this one is your lunch, you can eat it later at lunch time."

Their schools had lunch indoors, no break to go outside to play with. Yewon had usually taken her lunch with her to the nurses, they had actually become good friends. (this meaning they had free reign indoors, but not outside during lunch, its complicated, this world in my head :P)

"Do you want to get an ice pack? For your cheek?"

"Nah, I don't want to have to hold it."

"What if I held it for you?"

SinB hesitated, but still shook her head.

"I don't want you to hold it either, your hands would get cold."

Yewon hummed, accepting SinB's decision.

"Do you want to talk about yesterday after we left?"

"Do you mind? I'm a little confused myself."

"Tell me your worries."

SinB shuffled in her seat, her hands still clutching the cube securely, thumbing at the flower patterns on the sides of the box.

"So, a thing I never told you about, and its something you never have to worry about again, is that... well. Look."

SinB lifted the bottom edge of her jacket, with her shirt.  There were several marks that looked like scars, and more bruises decorating her small body. Yewon gasped, her hands shakily reaching to check if SinB was alright, her hands resting on top of SinB's.

"S-so, yea. It was...abuse."

"I never knew it was that serious."

"I never told anyone. But no matter! That's not gonna happen again yea?"

Yewon nodded, she hugged SinB softer.

"So, yesterday, I went back with Tiffany unnie to the orphanage, and you know, I thought it'd be a big boring building. But it was a house."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SinB stared after Tiffany, after getting off the car, she felt more lost. Why were they entering a residential house? Wasn't an interchangeable word for orphanage something like institution?

"Hey? What are we doing here?"

"What do you mean what are we doing here? This is where you'll be staying, my orphanage."

Tiffany held her hand, the young adult's other hand carrying SinB's bag for her. It was all new to the child, not ahving to carry her own stuff, her hand being held to be led around places. Other kids came tumbling out of the rooms running out to greet Tiffany.

"Unnie!/Noona!"

"Shhhh, calm down kids, this is Eunbi, Hwang Eunbi."

"Hwang? She's your kid?"

Tiffany chuckled and ruffled the girl's hair lovingly.

"No, unfortunately not. We just share the same name."

"Same name?"

Turning back to SinB, Tiffany gave her an eye smile.

"Yea, Hwang Tiffany."

"Aniya! Your full name is Hwang Mi Young!"

"Jess! I didn't know you were here!"

SinB watched as Tiffany stood up to greet the other lady who had lazily walked out from somewhere in the house. They hugged and chatted and stuff. Rubbing her arms, SinB couldn't help but feel a little lost.

"Ah! I'm actually bringing a new kid today! She even looks a little bit like you!"

SinB wandered the small living room like a lost soul, it was like her voice disappeared and the world was suddenly submerged in water.

"Eunbi yah!"

Tiffany watched as SinB stared into the fireplace with a sad look. Following after and squatting down next to the child, she smiled.

"What's got your attention?"

SinB's head turned quickly, as if she hadn't noticed Tiffany there. Looking back to the fire, SinB shrugged.

"It's....warm."

Tiffany just kept smiling, SinB was getting worried that her cheeks might rip if she kept smiling like that. Feeling arms going around her, SinB resisted the urge to slip out of them, slowly letting Tiffany pull her into a hug. It still felt constricting to her, when a person larger than her hugged her and picked her up. She pushed a bit on Tiffany's arms to make herself comfortable.

"I'm going to introduce you to my best friend. Her name is Jessica, she looks a bit like you."

Jessica was giving a lazy smile, but it kind of dropped?

"Oh my god, what happened to your face?"

SinB winced as she felt hands on her face, checking her over, Jessica even looked into her eyes like the doctor did, when he was looking for internal bleeding in her eyes.

"Owie, let go!"

Letting go immediately, Jessica apologized and SinB hid her face in Tiffany's neck naturally. Tiffany chuckled a little and chided Jessica a bit, not noticing how SinB seemed to freeze up before relaxing again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Like, how did I end up hiding my face there and feel so natural to do so? I've never experienced that feeling before."

"How did it feel?"

Yewon watched SinB with a warm smile.

"Like.....I don't know...that it was okay?"

"Before you said it was fine. Is it a different fine?"

Yewon lead SinB to think a bit more deeply about her feelings.

"This is different, its better than fine."

SinB looked at Yewon with a lost expression of a puppy, she really didn't know. Yewon just shook her head and leaned her forehead to SinB's carefully, her eyes closed.

"That's the feeling, of...how do I put it for you to understand? Perhaps you don't know love yet; safety? Like everything is going to be alright, nothing will hurt you."

"I-I guess."

Safety, huh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ouh I...this is longer than usual by a bit. oops :P So, who's the mom? LOL