white knight

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Umji watched as Sowon organized the chess pieces on the black and white checkered board, seeing Sowon question herself about whether she put the right pieces in the right place worried her.

"Unnie, are you sure you know how to play?"

"Don't worry, I don't intend to win."

"Eh?"

Sowon grinned and put a v sign.

"I'm just there for participation! And to give my opponent a hard time!"

Yerin smiled and hung off of Sowon's back, her arms wrapped around the older's neck. Umji just gave a lopsided smile.

"Unnie, if you teach me the rules can I do it?"

"Of course you can, but are you sure you want to take this super boring event?"

"It's fine unnie, besides, I think you can eat more than me."

That was sort of true, the last event the girls had been assigned to take was the eating contest, the portions were all scaled to the age of each player, but age didn't matter when your body type burns through it fast. For Sowon, who was having growing pains, this would be easy. She had been eating a lot more after her mom found out that her legs were hurting, and it didn't seem to affect her weight, therefore, it must be going to her height.

"Well, mom told me that my metabolism is going to increase for a while before it slows down again. But that slowing down is going to be in like ten years."

Umji nodded, she knew it was important to eat more when you hit puberty, for Sowon who was nine, puberty wasn't too far off. It made sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Checkmate."

Sowon stared at the white knight and white king on the board, realizing her mistake, left with her king and a pawn. Looking at the pile of fallen pieces on the side, Sowon rubbed her face to look at the board again. How in the world did Umji make it there?

"I...."

"Yes unnie?"

"You definitely should do the chess event."

Umji just grinned and shook Sowon's hand, good player manners were important as well. Yerin just played with the black pieces that Umji had knocked out, prancing the black knight along the table as Sowon was still getting over her loss.

"Well, in my defense, unnie did a lot of hard things that took a lot of thinking. So, if unnie liked chess more, I think you would do well."

"Thanks muji ah, it was a good game. I think, that's the most I had to think in a day. You little genius."

Sowon tackled Umji to the ground rubbing her head teasingly.

"Come on, stop outsmarting every move I make!"

"Hahaha! Unnie! Stop it! Hahaha!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yuju was seated besides Eunha, they had moved indoors to let Eunha practice sleeping in different places, she had managed to fall asleep on the grass already, and the sleeping mats were basically Eunha's favorite place in their room. They were in the small auditorium where the chess event would be held, Eunha lay down in the center of the carpeted stage, her hands on her stomach. The only issue with sleeping in different places was, that she couldn't sleep on her front, in fear of all the germs that were there. For sure, the sleeping event would provide a clean place to sleep, but Eunha didn't have a sleeping mat to roll up and take with her everywhere.

"Eunha?"

"Yea?"

"Oh, I thought you were asleep already."

"Not yet."

"Sorry, I was just checking."

The awkward silence filled the air, until Eunha held Yuju's hand, her eyes remaining closed.

"Do you want to talk?"

"Well....it's just me missing my sister. When I go home and wait until six, she isn't there for me to run to the door to greet her, she isn't there when I don't want to eat those green onions in my food."

"Yuna, you should eat them, they're good for you."

"No matter, what about you? I know you're hiding something."

Eunha opened her eyes, looking up at the ceiling.

"You noticed as well?"

"As well?"

"I know that Sowon unnie has figured out something. But she's left me my privacy, which I'm thankful for."

Yuju kissed the back of Eunha's hand.

"Well, you never did tell me how you ended up at the hospital that day. Was it really just a checkup? I thought that hospital was meant for more serious things."

Eunha sighed and closed her eyes, rolling on her side to face Yuju. Tugging lightly, Eunha pulled Yuju to lay down with her, her other hand reaching to hold Yuju's as well.

"I haven't told anyone."

Yuju nodded, her full attention on Eunha's peaceful expression, as Eunha's eyebrows drew together, her concern grew. Was her friend suffering from something that she had so rudely ignored in her bout of sadness over her sister?

"But...I have a sort of sickness."

"You're sick? You should be at home and resting then."

"It's not that kind of sick though, I can function just fine. I just happen to have this....bump on my neck."

Yuju immediately looked to Eunha's neck, only now noticing that Eunha was wearing a turtleneck shirt. Eunha blinked, her hand letting go to tug at the collar of her shirt, revealing the slightly purplish bump and the bandages there.

"You're hurt?"

"No, those are from my treatment shots. I have to get them every so often mum says. I also have to get my blood taken every week."

Yuju didn't know what to say, only taking Eunha's hands again.

"B-but you're afraid of needles!"

"I know."

"And you hate the doctors!"

"I know."

"A-and you-"

"Yea, I can't help it."

Yuju started to cry and Eunha pulled her into a hug, patting the taller's hair softly to soothe her.

"It'll be fine, that's what mom and dad told me."

"You're hurting! How is that fine?!"

Yuju cried harder, her grip in the front of Eunha's sweater tightening. In the midst of her crying though, she moved out of Eunha's hold to hug her instead.

"Why're you comforting me! It's you who's hurting more!"

"Dummy, as a married couple, we share the burdens don't we?"

Yuju just nodded, her sobs stopping her from responding. Eunha just smiled and hugged Yuju closer.

"I'll make you another flower ring when they bloom again. Promise."

=================

Yujunaaaaaaaaaaa baby don't cry!