practice

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

The girls were gathered together outside, apparently training for the winter games. SinB shivered and pulled her jacket tighter around herself.

"So...there's a running event, but Yuju unnie...."

"I can run it."

"Are you sure? I know you're not feeling well-"

"Eunha, I can run."

Yuju firmly patted Eunha's shoulder, showing her resolve. She was still faking a smile, but she seemed less sad since the day before. Having Jisun at the hospital by her sister's side was reassuring, but not as much as her being there instead.

"Fine. But I'm going to do the fall asleep fastest event okay?"

"That's okay by me."

Umji pouted as she sat on the grass, watching the frosty exchange. Sowon flopped down next to her, done with her stretches, Yerin was at a different station, testing weights for shotput.

"Roughly each room has six to nine, so we didn't participate last year."

"Then we don't know if we'll win?"

"I believe in SinB's lucky hand."

"Huh? SinB has a lucky hand?"

Sowon grinned and waved SinB over from pestering Eunha who was trying to sleep on the grass as practice. They had free reign on how to practice for the few events they had, basically an excuse to let all the children out.

"SinB, is a girl who is blessed by the lady luck herself. She's never lost a game."

SinB grinned proudly, but Umji just wondered how true it could be.

"What has she won at?"

"Many rounds of Uno."

"Uno?"

"It's a card game. We haven't tested her luck much anywhere else, but it seems to be a 100% guarantee."

Sowon pulled out two dice from her pocket she had been given by the staff at the daycare.

"One of the games is a board game, we could all play together as one, but really, it's meant for one player."

"Which board game?"

"Monopoly."

The way Sowon said the name with disgust made Yerin laugh, she had just returned from testing her grip strength and caught Sowon's disdain for monopoly. She remembered how Sohyun had said that Sojung fell asleep when playing just to avoid playing her turn as well as their run of the game, which Yerin let her learn that she didn't quite like the game either.

"Hehehe, unnie will you sleep during the game?"

"Of course! Consistency is important Yerin ah."

Umji just watched with a confused expression, she didn't know this game at all. SinB just threw the dice again and again.

"Hey, Eunbi? Let's battle and see who rolls a higher number."

"Okay! You go first."

Umji grinned and rolled the two dice, getting a three and a two.

"Five, your turn."

SinB grinned and shook the dice vigorously before dumping them into the grass, when they stopped rolling, Umji's jaw dropped.

"HOW?"

SinB had rolled two sixes, a grand total of twelve.

"See? She's got a winner's hand or something, also her competitiveness, which I'm sure you're used to."

Umji did know of SinB's competitiveness, since they had just raced to the daycare door from the bus just earlier.

"Then, if Eunha unnie is doing the sleeping one, Yuju unnie doing the running one, SinB in charge of the dice, Yerin unnie in the strength events, what else is there?"

"Chess, and I think there's an eating competition?"

"Unnie knows how to play chess?"

"Uhhh I know how, but I don't like to."

Sowon lay down on the grass, stretching her body out, recently she had been feeling sore, it was annoying her. Did she hurt herself somehow? Umji lay down beside her, Yerin moved to sandwich her in.

"Are you cold? Let me warm you up."

Umji squeaked when Yerin's hands went to her , slapping them away, she squirmed closer to Sowon to avoid Yerin's touches.

"Unnie! Stop it!"

Yerin just laughed and faced the sky again. Seeing legs walk into her peripheral view, Yerin lifted her head a bit to see who.

"SinB?"

"Were you bothering Yewon?"

"Uh...I-"

"She was!"

Umji giggled as SinB proceded to sit on Yerin's stomach, the older flailing under the weight. Sowon just chuckled and back hugged Umji warmly.

"I wish that we could be happy like this forever."

"Unnie?"

The sudden change in Sowon's mood from cheerful to melancholic suprised Umji. But Sowon's arms kept her from turning around to see her unnie.

"I know that you noticed what's missing."

"Eunha unnie is asleep, if that's what you mean."

"Close, not quite. Yujuna should be acting like a married couple."

Umji nodded, her hands on Sowon's arms, soothing the older girl. Instead of joining in the fun, Yuju was just sat next to Eunha, staring into space as Eunha pretended to sleep.

"I think Eunha is hiding something as well."

"Huh?"

Sowon kissed the back of Umji's head, her hand softly the younger's hair.

"It's just a feeling, but maybe she's hiding something. We all already know that Yuju is hiding her pain."

"Mm. But we can only wait for her to come to us, right?"

Sowon chuckled and kissed Umji's head again.

"Right."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jung Yerin? Could you come to the testing station again?"

Yerin got up, brushing SinB off easily. Going back to the testing station, Yerin waited patiently to see what had gone wrong.

"Why did you call me back? Did I miss a test?"

"No, no, it's not that. We're just a little, surprised."

The adult handed Yerin a grip checker, telling her to squeeze with one hand as hard as she could. Obeying, Yerin watched as they stared in awe at the number displayed.

"What is it?"

"Your grip strength is really 15kg...."

"Huh?"

"That's the average for boys your age, six higher than the female average."

"Oh."

Did that mean she could punch someone's lights out yet? She grinned as she returned to the others, happily going with her news.

====================

Strong Yennie!