Having a little sister

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Sowon giggled as her sister chased her around the house, a hairdryer in her hand like a gun, the wire still wrapped neatly around the handle.

"Get back here! I need to dry your hair!"

Still giggling, Sowon vaulted over a chair in the livingroom, zooming past Yerin who just got out of the shower, her towle covering her head like a hoodie.

"What's going on?"

Seeing the Sowon still running, Yerin took a seat on the couch, sitting in the corner, she rubbed her hair with the towel, trying to get it to dry faster.

Puffing Sowon's older sister gave up and sat down next to Yerin, reaching behind the couch to plug in the hair dryer.

"Cha, let me help you."

"Thank you unnie."

"No problem, at least you aren't running like the monkey Sojung is."

Yerin giggled, Sowon was never that playful at daycare, it was like a limiter was released, her full excited potential unleashed. Sowon just laughed, launching herself onto the couch and waiting her turn.

"Sojung ah, make sure you two sleep early enough, I heard you two chatting till late yesterday."

"Yes mom!"

"I'm heading to bed, behave for your sister alright? She still has to study for her exams after all."

"I got it mom, good night."

"G-night Mrs Kim."

Sowon's mother kissed all three girl's heads before leaving. Finished with Yerin's hair, her sister tugged Sowon over, putting her between herself and Yerin, handing her a comb.

"Comb her hair for her Sojung ah."

"Sure."

They sat like that in a line, Sowon's sister drying Sowon's hair, Sowon brushing Yerin's hair of its small kinks. At Sowon's house, everything was interesting to Yerin, the numerous animal statues, the way Sowon played with her sister, the way her sister still played with Sowon even though she was doing homework. Earlier, Sowon wanted to play hide and seek, telling her sister to guess where she was in her sister's room, her sister worked on her homework saying random locations, next to the bed, under it, in the closet, right behind her. All while not looking away from her homework. Yerin just sat in the doorway, watching with amusement.

"Yerin ah, I did it!"

"Thanks Sojung unnie."

She kissed Sowon's cheek as thanks, receiving a bright grin in return.

"Omo? Sojung ah, you have a white hair!"

"What?"

Holding the single strand in front of the child's face, Sowon stared, wait....that wasn't her hair.

"Unnie! That's mom's!"

"Aw, how'd you know?"

"It ain't attached to me! And its a little curly."

Sowon quickly turned around and slapped her sister's thigh for pranking her, laughing the entire time. Yerin just smiled, she loved this place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yerin ah, the only skinships you did today was just that kiss to my cheek, I know Yuna kissed you but that was her, not you. What's wrong?"

"I just didn't feel like it."

Sowon her side, looking at Yerin's side profile in the dark, the other laying on her back, staring up at the ceiling. Yerin blinked a few times before looking at Sowon from the corner of her eyes.

"What about you? Why were you crying? You made me cry with you."

Sowon laid back on her back, staring up at the same ceiling.

"Have you ever heard of a song called I see your monsters?"

"No? Is it a foreign song? It doesn't seem like a korean title."

"Mm, its an english song, I translated it for homework because I heard it on the english radio one day."

Yerin hummed, closing her eyes, her hands gathered on her chest.

"What's it say?"

"It's saying, that I can see you're in pain, but you're hiding it from me. I want to help you, because I know you're hurting, but you won't let me in."

Yerin's eyes opened, her small smile disappearing, how did Sowon hit the nail lon the head? She did her best not to show it, she thought she was doing fine.

"You know, there was a reason why Yuna kissed you. Eunha and her both realized that you weren't feeling yourself, they tried to cheer you up on their own way."

Tears leaked from Yerin's eyes, they remained unblinking as she held her breath to stop from sobbing. Sowon noticed Yerin's held breath and scooted closer, reaching a hand over to hold Yerin's.

"So tell me your problems, I'll chase them away, I'll be your lighthouse, I'll make it okay, when I see your monsters I'll stand there so brave, and chase them all away."

Tucking Yerin in a warm hug, she let the younger cry.

"I don't know what's wrong with me."

Sowon hummed, patting Yerin's back as she sobbed.

"Am I even supposed to know? I'm just seven!"

"Mmhmm, we're just kids."

"Supposedly, we have our whole lives in front of us."

Yerin took a shaky breath, still a little uneasy that she was telling Sowon, what if Sowon became like this too?

"I just keep thinking, why am I here?"

"You're here because I want you here."

"No, not just that. What am I going to do from now on? Mom won't look at me, brother is still in rehab, dad's in jail."

The door opened and Sowon's sister entered. Sowon apologized.

"Sorry, did we keep you up?"

Just shaking her head, she slipped into Sowon's small bed, behind Yerin, she wrapped her arms around both the girls.

"Like you said, you're just kids. Rely on an adult more, you can rely on me if you want to."

Yerin's face was still hidden in Sowon's embrace, the older shifting a bit trying to see if she was okay.

"I mean, I wouldn't recommend it, that's my unnie after all, you know how crazy she can get."

"Hey, I'm being serious here."

Sowon just stuck her tongue out a little.

"I am too, unnie shouldn't have to shoulder too much too. You need to be able to play with me."

The Kim sisters chuckled in the same exact way.

"Sojung ah, sometimes, I really feel like you've seen too much of the world already."

"Perhaps I have. Yerin ah, are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Don't think to hard okay? Ask questions to someone who knows the answers. It might be hard, to get the courage to do it, but still, try."

"Thanks."

=============

You know, sometimes, you need to give yourself a peptalk, today, I did that in the form of writing. Man, I'm trying too hard for life that it decides to screw me over. Let's just remember to cry and move on shall we? Crying is not a weakness, its stress relieving.

oh and im not making money off this, but them lyrics aint mine go ask Katie Sky. :P cheers