Chapter 17

Haunted Fate

"Should we talk to him ? " Liam asked while Nikolai walked around the house talking to himself.
"We should try to make him accept to help us." said Simon nodding.

Liam looked unsure "But..he look very preoccuped about something, you're sure we should go now ?"
Simon bit his lips "Yeah, come with me."

They went toward Nikolai and they could already hear a part of what he was muttering.
"..Should i send back the bracelet ? no i can't, if he already seen that it disappered i'm done for. Should i leave ? i have to leave. Far away, but where ? and where in the hell could i go that that jerk couldnt find me, he can shimmer !" he stopped walking -the wolves did the same- and looked at a wall "but if he find me what will happ.. no he will not find me i refuse !...did he search me for all theses years ? impossible ! But what if.. he missed me ?"

He went silent. And after a fews seconds the wolves were sure black smoke was coming out from Nikolai's head.

"The hell he miss me he's surely with his hundred lovers and Helena enjoying his eternal youth !..or maybe i should wait for him" he chukled darkly "it would be a pleasure to break his sparkly wings."

Then feeling he was being watched, Nikolai fronced and looked behind him. Simon and Liam looked at him kind of wary.
"What the hell do you want ?" Nikolai arched an eyebrow.

"Ah.." Simon looked at Liam and took a step toward him before saying." we were wondering if we could convince you to give Ben his human appearance back."

Nikolai studied them then shook his head before waving his right hand in the air "No, leave me alone." his nose was already twiching from his allergy to wolves.

But Simon and Liam still walked toward Nikolai, cornering him .
"Why don't you want to helps us ?" asked Simon.
"Because i can't, now leave me alone." Nikolai looked away pinching his nose feeling like he was about to sneeze. Awful.
"But you did magic right now on Ben's paw that mean you can !" Liam sneezed briefly and snot ran from his nose making Nikolai and Simon recoil. Simon gave him a tissue while he was still saying "please help him, he's not as bad as you think !" in a hopeful tone.

Nikolai glared and stopped pinching his nose "I said i c.a.n.'.t now" he sneezed loudly while talking "LEAV..ATCHIA !"
Simon and Liam jumped and took a fews step back before looking at each other scared.

"Did he use magic ? it was a world of magic just now right ?!" asked Liam to no one in particular in a high piched voice.
Nikolai groaned shaking his head making the dust on his hair fall to his face and he sneezed loudly again. "OH, IM GOING TO BE SERIOUSLY PISSED."

At what, the two wolves wondered.
Hearing them while taking a plate to the kitchen, Taemin shook his head.

That meeting could have been worse. But the wolves were apparently more preoccupied about Ben than why Taemin lied about his sight and what happened to the club. Maybe they were going to forget it in exchange for the help ? Taemin could try to give Ben his human appearance back with Nikolai's help, praying silently that he didnt turn him into a frog. It wouldn't be a big loss if not for Jaeshin who was still trying to be near Ben to sniff him. The wolf weirdly didnt want Jaeshin to be near him.

Taemin chuckled while flipping the cups in the sink.
"What is so funny ?" someone asked softly in his left ear.

Taemin turned his head so fast toward the voice that he nearly kissed the Alpha. He froze. The Alpha was also surprised if we judged by the way his eyes widened. Neither of them went backward, it was like something was keeping them from stepping away. What Taemin didnt know.
Sure Taemin was attracted to the Alpha, who could resist him ? he was 6 feet 4 inches tall, He has broad shoulders, and well he couldnt say what color is hair eyes and skin was but his handsome face was absolutely conpensating Taemin's lack of sight.
Taemin felt something pulse in him -no not in his pants- like something was pushing him to understand but what ? 
The Alpha cut his thoughts when he suddently said "So ?"
So ? At that Taemin frowned so deeply that his eyebrow were hiding his sight.
The Alpha tilted his head "Something's wrong ?"

Taemin blinked while Kai went backward and leaned agaisnt the counter .
Whenever the Alpha was near him he was confused. Taemin wasnt sure he liked that. Maybe he should stay away from the Alpha, it was blatant the man didnt have any interest for Taemin in that way. But who could blame him, either he was straight or with his long hair -wich the bangs were too long and dressed in a sweatsuit while the Alpha was in a suit- Taemin wasnt much to look at.
Taemin took a deep breath trying to find a subject then said "Look..Alpha. I'm sorry for lying at the museaum and saying that i was blind. It wasnt my intention."

"They why did you do it ?" The Alpha didnt look convinced of Taemin's innocence. "Why were you at the museaum that night ?"

Taemin wondered if he should lie again. He was going to do just that when what came out of his mouth was "Someone.. asked if i could help to find the serial killer, and said there was a meeting at the museaum. I thought i could find clues about the serial killer." he shrugged then looked at his feet "I really hadnt bad intentions, i swear."
"And who is that person ?"
Damn. "You don't know her."

"I should be the one deciding that."

Taemin wasnt going to say it was the spirits of this house who asked help, he just shook his head.
Kai said nothing but his eyes were icy "If you are innocent like you said then why did you ran away ?" 

Taemin looked at him open mouthed. Kai was still leaning agaisnt the counter his arms crossed and arching his right eyebrow.
"Are you kidding me ? if you were at my place instead , would you have stayed where you were if a pack of wolves turned toward you, fangs and claws out ?"
Kai shrugged "No. Problably not. But if i was in your place i wouldnt accept to help if i was human."
Taemin gulped "I'm not."
"Not what ? "

"Not human. You know about it, Nikolai said it minutes ago."
"True. I heard though that you were human and because of it your family denied you."

"None of your business right ?" snarled Taemin with so much bitterness and resentment in the voice that he froze.
Kai though nodded "Im sorry." well by that tone of his he wasnt "So you said you were blind to save yourself."
Taemin didnt see why he should admit he was ColorBlind. He was sure the Alpha would respond Well at least you see so he nodded no eagerly looking at his garden through the window "Yeah my sight is perfect."

"Is there a problem ?"
"No."
"Did i say something wrong ?"

"No." Taemin still looked at his garden, now that he thought about it , he wondered if the shadow that he'd seen days ago in his porch was still here.

Fingers encountered his jaw then pulled his face to look in front of him. The Alpha was looking at him, so tall and powerful that Taemin couldnt stop the gulp in his throat.
Kai seemed to observe him before he said "Im sorry if i offended you Mr. Murakami, that wasnt my intention. I came here to ask help, not to judge you. What happenned to the club is none of my business i know, so i will not ask what happened. Now please, tell me, can you help my Beta ?"

Taemin felt the fingers leaving his jaw slowly leaving behind them like fire trail. He gulped once more before steppin back "I.."

"It's done already."
Taemin and Kai looked toward the voice who was near the kitchen's door. Nikolai was adossed agaisnt it looking at them expressionless, what did he see ?
"Your Beta is as human as he could be, you should take him home before he..what did he say already ?" Nikolai feigned to think about it "ah yeah , before 'he kick my magic .' "

Kai shook his head "I'm sorry. He always was kind of hostile. Thanks though for helping him."

"You're not welcome. Your two others Betas bugged me to the point i had to try to give his appearance back even if he turned into a mouse at the end. But it worked so now please take them with you, and the man in the living room too."
Kai nodded without protest and left the kitchen without looking at Taemin. Nikolai watched the Alpha leave then at Taemin.

"Are you ok ?"
Taemin wiped his sweaty hands on his pants while nodding.

They went toguether to the door and the sheriff went toward them.
"Thank you for your help, the Alpha said that.. you were trustworthy."
"Oh this is so nice." said Nikolai sarcastically crossing his arms.

"It is. The Alpha doesnt like sorcerer, or others species." he looked at Taemin "in fact he accept them, but he never give his trust. We don't know why but he's particulary wary of Shamans."

Taemin and Nikolai frowned giving each other a side glance.
"So yeah, it's something nice. Have a good day." 
He went to leave, and Taemin accompagnied him to the door. Here he saw Ben now human wearing Jaeshin's coat.
"I don't need it !" said Ben forcefully.

"Please keep it, they are going to see !" Jaeshin's eyes went between Ben's legs.
The wolf surprising everyone, blushed. "So what i'm a wolf."

Jaeshin raised his eyebrows "Oh. So because you are a wolf you walk around with your breathing the fresh air ?"
Ben blushed even harder. "No, because i'm a wolf i'm free !"

"And that mean walk around with your .."
Ben raised his hands toward the sky "Ok i don't care i just want to leave that haunted house !" he turned around and walked toward the car wearing Jaeshin's coat tightly.
In the silence that followed between Taemin, Nikolai, Jaeshin the Alpha and the two Betas, Nikolai said "How does it know it's haunted ?"

Without looking at anyone Simon and Liam turned around -bumping each other in the process- and went out.
The Alpha shook his head then looked at Taemin.
He was going to say something but stopped. He finally said "Tell your friend that your investigation stop here. We are a pack, we protect our land so don't worry we will find that serial killer."

"Are you telling us what we should do ?" asked Nikolai uffed "it's a funny way to say thank you."
Kai only looked at Taemin "It's because i'm thankful that i'm saying that to you. Please stay in your line and let us do our job. Ok ?"

Taemin feeling caught in Kai's gaze nodded.
"Good. Then see you around Mr Murakami and.." he looked at Nikolai.

"Deucius--." Nikolai shoudnt have said his real name.
Kai fronced "Ok. Goodbye Mr. Deucius-."

"What ?!" shrieked Nikolai but the door was already closed.  ++

"Deucius-, he called me Deucieus- !"Nikolai said for the at least 15th time.
Taemin shook his head chuckling. "It's your fault. You said it first."

"He did it on purpose. No one can be this ignorant."

"I don't know Nikolai, it didnt look like he was joking."
"Tsk. This is what i call a poker-face."

While waiting for Jaeshin to have his hair cut, Nikolai and Taemin sat on a bench at a park just in front of the hair dresser.
"So, where do we go now ?"

Taemin frowned "You want to go shopping ?"
"Huh ? sure. But i was talking about the investigation."
"Oh." Taemin watched kids playing with a ballon near them and said "Nothing."
Nikolai looked at him "What do you mean nothing ?"
Taemin went silent.

"You mean you are going to stop searching the serial killer ? really ? "
Taemin refrained himself  from snapping "It's his city, he owns it. And i'm sure he will find soon who is behind all that. If we meddle ourself we would only be in his way."

"So." Nikolai said slowly "If i understand everything you tell me, you want to stop searching this killer just because this..this..king of fur said so ?"

Ok, what the hell "But what do you exactly have against him ! is it because he's a wolf ?" racism agaisnt wolf, awesome !
Nikolai scoffed "You ask me what do i have against him ? i have nothing agaisnt the Alpha but something against you yes !"
What ? "Me ? Why, what did i do !"

Nikolai pointed at him"You look at him like he's a piece of meat, confess that you are obedient just to get into his pants !"
Silence.

Taemin looked at him expressionless "Since when ?"
Nikolai choked on nothing "You tell me !"

"I..i mean what ?" Taemin shook his head to clear his thoughts "what make you think that ?"
Nikolai laughed "Puh-lease even me i checked him out. It's true that you are quit a poker face, but nothing can hide from my eyes."

They went silent until Taemin asked "Talking about eyes, what colors are they ?"
Nikolai tilted his head like a puppy"Whose ?"
"The Alpha."

"Golden."
Silence.
"So you really like him."

Taemin groaned then raised his arms "I dont know ! well yes i admit he's..pleasant to look at."
Nikolai choked on his saliva "Pleasant to look at. You nearly drooled in your cup when we were in the living room with him and his betas." he chuckled "In fact you drooled, thanks God he didnt see it. He's quit dense."
Taemin passed a hand in front on his face trying to keep himself from turning red. He failed.
"So embarrassing." he muttered to no one. 

Nikolai said curious "But i couldnt see if you interested him too. He's..baffling."
Taemin shook his head "Nevermind. He's too hot for me, probably straight and..anyway i don't think i'm ready yet to start something after my divorce."
Nikolai sighed but Taemin looked at his own feet.

"Actually your marriage was not a real one. You just signed a paper. You had a son then..what ? you only slept with her in the same bed for 10 years. Do you call that a marriage ?"

Taemin still didnt talk.
"You nerver fell in love right ?"
Taemin stuttered "J..Jackson.."
"Was it love ?"

"I..i guess ? well until he chased me in his wolf form to eat me."
"How did he die ?"

Silence.

Taemin gulped. "Can't you read my memories ?"

Nikolai sighed "I dont want to do that while i'm recovering my powers. But if you dont want to tell me.."
"I escaped my house because i outed myself to my wife accidently after a quarrel. " Taemin started "At night Jackson found me in the forest where we passed our days playing when we were young. And there i admitted to him i was gay. That i married Kate because i wanted to denie my attraction for mens, that i never loved her." he took a shaking breath "he was so angry Nikolai. Telling me he loved her since college and that because i was his best friend he backed off."

Jun should have been my son !
Taemin closed his eyes and continued "I felt like . I remember crying and telling him that i was sorry. That i did it to save our friendship, it was either i married her or asked him out. thought that with time i could make her happy. That angered him even more."

It was definitely disgust that Taemin saw in his eyes that day before he shifted.

He continued "I dont remember what he was saying, in fact i didnt even understand because his voice became a gravely sound like a growl. Before i could ask myself what was happenning his body disappeared letting his clothes fall on the ground and..a wolf was standing in Jackson's place."

Nikolai tensed.
Taemin at that time didnt know if he was hallucinating because of the dark. That he didnt see right. Maybe the wolf attacked Jackson then decided to kill him too, but his eyes left no doubt. It was his best friend. 
He knew about wolf-shifter of course, but he didnt thought his best friend was one. It was why Taemin fell into his knees from the shock.

The wolf growled then jumped toward him. He didnt know by what miracle Taemin avoided him, but he took off as soon as he could.

"He chased me in the forest. He had me almost four times either with his fangs or claws and always missed me by not much. I finally found my truck and turning on the engine. I left without looking behind me."
He felt Nikolai relax but he didnt finish his story.

"I was so obsessed with the idea of leaving this forest that i've seen the wolf in the middle of the road too late." he gulped loudly "i..i tried to brake the car and he didnt move. He probably thought i would stop the car but it was too late and i.."

He put his face on his hands and breathed loudly before admitting "I killed him. I killed my best friend."