Chapter 37

Haunted Fate

Nikolai felt his blood freeze on seeing Key, advancing to the sovereign, completely ignoring him.

"Your highness, or rather I have to call you just Key now." asked the sovereign.

Nikolai's heart was starting to palpitate, scared, when Ignis moved behind him and wrapped his arms around him. Fate too sided on his side as if to reassure him.

"Are you okay ?" Fate asked, frowning.

Anxious, Taemin stood in front of Nikolai as if to hide him. Kai groaned and stood in front of Taemin.

"What's going on with you guys ?" asked the sovereign surprised.

There only, Key turned to them with a clenched jaw.

Nikolai could weirdy feel a much duller heartbeat over his own.

"I don't feel good." he said worried. Why did he feel like someone else was watching through his eyes ?

The Seer began to speak in the ear of the Sovereign. The man turned pale and looked at Nikolai's belly.

"Hrem ... Key first let me tell you something, first know that any attack or form of dueling will not be accepted, here my guests are content to drink champagne and cake."

"I am not there in these intentions." replied the Fae in a calm voice.

"Oh." the sovereign paused then asked suspiciously "then why?"

Key took a breath "I appeal to Ezra's law."

Some people in the crowd shouted , surprised. The sovereign gasped in his throne in shock.

"What is this law?" Kai asked Nikolai. He shook his head, he had no idea.

The sovereign didnt know too apparently, he leaned towards the Seer "What is it yet, i don't remember ?"

The Seer rolled his eyes and whispered in his ear. The sovereign nearly choked.

"The situation is a bit special to apply this law, Fae, especially since you are not Nikolai'ssoulmate."

"We are." Key cut him.

This time the crowd uttered exclamations. The members of the council of sorcerers including Adonis were shocked.

The Sovereign took out a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped the sweat from his forehead "Ah yes?"

"You know it as well as I do." Key replied darkly.

The Sovereign looked at the Seer, but the latter ignored him, obviously letting him choose.

"I .." the Sovereign swallows "Ezra's law is applicable in this context, Nikolai Deucius and Key Creed must live together for a period of three months from tomorrow to settle their differences. If things are not better by then, then..their bond is cancelled. "

"What ?" Taemin asked, gaping. Was his house a hotel?

"Wait a second." Nikolai thundered, feeling anger rising in him. "I'm not one of your subjects, this is my own choice. And i don't want him !"

"Alas Nikolai, this law was made by the creators themselves, no one can escape it." replied the sovereign, tired.

"I refuse you hear me, the answer is no !" Nikolai yelled and Taemin's eyes widened as black smoke came out of his mouth.

"Nikolai calm down!" Taemin intimated "Something is wrong with you."

Nikolai stared helplessly at Taemin, then at the guests and the sovereign looking at him worried. He didnt dare meet Key's eyes as he walked away from the room.