Chapter 52

Haunted Fate

ᚪᛤᛄᛩᛊ

"Where are they ?"

The Shaman who knocked out Wu Yifan after Nikolai revealed to him the sheets looked at him "What ?"

"Fate's pages. You took them to change the course of history, right? Where are they?" Nikolai patiently crossed his arms.

Silence.

"So that's why you and your friends are here." say the Shaman softly. He showed the skin of his arms; a patch of skin as if scarified by writings "they are here, satisfied?"

Nikolai told himself not to look disgusted but he couldn't help but make a face. "I don't understand why you're doing this."

"For power." he said with a dark laugh.

"In order to do what?"

"Become the strongest."

"What for ?"

Silence.

"..To win ?"

Nikolai could feel the Shaman's reluctance under his cloak "Is that all?"

The Shaman looked out of the window with his hands over his head "No that's not all, I had a very specific goal but I was asked suddently so at the end I don't remlember !"

Nikolai felt pity "People never asked you that question, huh."

"No." he stood silent for a moment watching the rain fall "I don't know what to do now. Ah yes, I remember " he looked over his shoulder at Nikolai "In order to raise a war against the creators."

Nikolai sipping his wine choked "You think a simple surnatural can defeat them? Okay, you're above average, but it's still not enough."

"With Fate's death in the future and I taking his place, that will be more than enough." He hit his chest "The creators will bow before me and I would finally ..."

"Fate is dead." Nikolai cut in annoyance.

Silence.

"W h u t"

"You killed him, remember?"

The Shaman staggered "But then why didn't I still have his powers,, I thought he had survived" he raised his arms in the air "what did I do wrong this time ?! "

Nikolai looked at the bottom of his glass "Now what do you plan to do with me?"

The Shaman seemed to think "You are too powerful for me to kill you."

"Good."

"But I can send you to a parallel world."

"Less good. Why make it easy when you can make it complicated huh."

"If you have another idea, I'm all ears, you know !" he summed up with his fingers, "I can't kill you, I can't chain you, I can't take your powers, I can't brainwash you. So no, I can see no less complicated." he ends up exhausted.

Nikolai didn't answer. When the door to the room opened, he was afraid for a second it was Fate or Taemin, but it was rather another familiar face.

"I know you." he said in a pensive low voice.

The man who joins the Shaman smiled at him "I don't think so, I would have remembered such a handsome man .."

"yes.. I've seen you before." Nikolai studied the stranger's eyes and found the answer by reading her memories.

This man was called Mir, and once he was known to be the human Nemesis had fallen in love with.

ᚪᛤᛄᛩᛊ

"What's that ?"

Mir looked at his bloodied clothes, "The wolf that accompanied you was hard to get rid of. Much more than the Shaman."

Nikolai froze. The Shaman? was he talking about Taemin? if the latter was dead, he would have felt it. He could only hope that the Alpha wolf was fine.

Mir giggled when he saw the glass in Nikolai's hands.

"Are you aware that what's in this glass is blocking your powers at least?"

Nikolai shrugged, gauging Mir "It's already too late so I might as well finish it."

Mir was the human Nemesis had once loved. When Mir had tried to poison Nemesis - for Nikolai didn't know what reason - that led the latter to want to let himself die.

"What are you doing here ?" suddenly asked Nikolai "weren't you human ?"

Mir raised her eyebrows "Oh, I knew you were close to Nemesis but I didn't know you knew me. I became a Vampire thanks to a certain person."

He motioned to the Shaman who seemed to be looking for a page engraved on his body. He raised his cape to his calves to inspect them, muttering.

"No not there either, in what part of my body is it ? I need a mirror .."

Mir rolled her eyes.

"What do you have to gain ?" asked Nikolai.

"Me ? Nothing. The Shaman made Wu Yifan believe that I was his soul mate. Having a man of power at his mercy, what more can we hope for ?"

Nikolai shook his head "Are you happy? Without love?"

"Love ?" Mir chuckled "all these years being dead have softened your brain, sorcerer. Love is a weak point that I don't need."

"I tended to think like you before I met Key." he shook his head "I feel sorry for you."

Mir stared at him while the Shaman opened a huge universal gate.

He huffed and readjusted his purple cape "Here, now .." he pointed the gate at Nikolai "you're going in there."

"No."

Silence.

"You're going in there." repeated the Shaman.

"No."

"You don't have a choice."

"I no longer have my powers, but I have my free choice and I use it. So it's no."

The Shaman prevented himself from raising his arms to the sky and turned to Mir "Go get him."

"Why me ?"

"Because I'm the chief. And above all because I have to stay focused on the spell to keep the gate open, let's not waste time, come on !" he watched Mir chase Nikolai who went around the table "Besides, it's been a quarter of an hour that I called Renjun, where is he dammit!"

"Let go of me !" yelled Nikolai pulled by Mir. He tried to hang his legs on anything lying around without success.

The Shaman laughed somberly seeing Nikolai the struggling in front of the portal "You were the only supernatural who could stop me. Farewell, Nikolai Deucius."

Mir pushed him inside the portal.

"No !" Nikolai wrapped his legs around the Shaman's waist forcing him to step further towards the gate.

"Let me go !" asked the Shaman feeling his concentration vanish.

 Mir also helped him remove her legs. Once done, the Shaman laughed again "This time goodbye, Nikolai Deuci ..."

Fate abruptly opened the door knocking out the Shaman just behind "I thought I heard noise over there?"

"Help me !" yelled Nikolai, fighting Mir for not to be sent to the portal.

Fate rushed towards them trying to pull Nikolai towards him "Let go of him !"

The gate closed suddenly and Taemin hastily entered the room "What's happenning ?!"

Mir pushed Nikolai towards Fate making them stumble back and fled near Taemin in the exit.

"Come on Fate, let's get him." said Nikolai feeling his anger go up.

"I have a better ideo, Renjun is going to get him." replied Fate, laughing somberly.

Renjun, who had stayed at the entrance, turned around in the corridor towards Mir.

"And now .. urgh !" Taemin touched his throat with the sensation of being strangled. He was not the only one since Fate and Nikolai were in the same state.

The Shaman had risen, his hand brandishing towards them "This time it's over."

They could only pray for a miracle at that time, even the most foolish. And apparently someone up there heard them as a huge beast out of nowhere pounced on the Shaman and ripped his throat.