Chapter 7

Haunted Fate

Taemin went backward his eyes wide open fixed on Matthias.
"Taemin ? are you okay ?" Asked the the young man, looking worried.
No he was not okay, what was he doing in the kitchen? How long was he here? What did he hear?
Matthias continued "I came to see if you needed help .." he took a step forward making Taemin back away again, "but I heard you speak ...and i thought i heard a debate on species of surnatural. "

The spirits who were beside Taemin looked at Matthias attentively, as if they were waiting to help, but what could they do? These were spirits, souls without a body. Taemin was alone on this one , and this time no Alpha to help him.
... Why was he thinking of the Alpha all of a sudden?

"I knew it as soon as I saw you in the garden the day you moved in, you are not human. Your eyes ..." he reaches out like mesmerised "it's as if they contain the secrets of the universe in them. "
"Amazingly good speaker that one." mumbled Jaeshin.

Matthias took Taemin 's arm, gently but insisting, "What are you? A sorcerer, a Metamorph, a Fae, a Succumbus, something else ?"
Taemin had a violent flashback of Jackson taking him by the arm "L ... let go!"
Matthias Taemin left cheek with his other hand. taemin was seriously going to panic when a knife suddenly went flying between them and planted against the opposite wall.

Taemin and Jaeshin looked at Karl his hand still lifted "More spirits are old, the more their presence grows and develops Telekinesis. And don't be affraid, The little beast will not eat the big, he is 100% human. " said Karl.

Silence.

Matthias's eyes went between Taemin and the planted knife. "I didnt expect you to hurt me i..." he went backward "i got a little carried away. I'm sorry."
"Carried away ?" Taemin repeats sarcastically.
The young man blushed "I am what is called a fan of the surnatural, i'm only human."++

Taemin finally took two glasses of water in the living room and placed one in front of Matthias. Then sat right in front.
Matthias looked at him from beneath his lashes. "Again,i'm sorry for a while ago. I must have looked like a maniac."
Taemin nodded.

Matthias cleared his throat " I discovered the existence of the surnatural when I was still very young, eleven years old to be precise."

"Eleven years old ?"

"Yes, everything started on a street in Seoul when I spent the holiday at my grandmother's house. A Jaguar shifter was in the middle of fighting with a tall blond man in front of me. When they saw me, they tried to make me believe it was just a big cat. "

Taemin chuckled, but immediately stopped.
"Yeah exactly my reaction at that time, since then i've been paying more attention to the people I meet and in five years I've already discovered a witch, an Arachné, a Kitsune and a Djinn."
"it's impressive." Recognized Taemin .

"He has to be very smart to recognize an Arachne. The number of times they come out of their house in the year is counted in one hand." whispered Jaeshin.

Indeed and Taemin didnt like it .

Matthias goes on: "From the very first day I saw you in the garden, I knew you were different. The first thing that alerted me was your eyes. You knew that the police officer that visited you days ago said to everyone you were blind? "

So that was why everyone in Busan was surprised that he was seeing? "Why did he do that?"
Mathias shrugs "For the neighbors to help you I presume. Sorry for the misunderstanding. "
Taemin waved his hand, at this point it was not the worst of his worries.

He looked down at his cup of coffee and sighed softly. It had been almost two weeks that he had settled in Busan, mainly to get away from his medium family and responsibilities, his ex-wife, ...Jackson. He just wanted to be left alone, but he ends up in a small town belonging to a wolf pack, victim of a serial killer and a haunted house.

"It was a wolf earlier right ?"
His neighbor's voice startled Taemin . Matthias looked at him attentively.
Why lie ? He asked it more as a fact than a question. So Taemin nodded.
"I got involved in their affairs" he replies reluctantly then chuckled "he was right, I'd better stay home to talk to the walls."

"ing wolf." whispered Jaeshin before Karl crushes his foot.
"In what exactly did you meddling in ? I don't want to insist if..."
"I attended one of their meetings without being invited. I was discovered and almost devoured by the wolf you saw. If the Alpha didn't come to my recue i would not be telling you what happened that night. "

Matthias' eyes widened. "Wow, you attended one of their meetings without an invitation and came out in one piece!"
Yes, even Taemin found it hard to believe . "I was there hoping to have informations on the Serial killer but ..."
Matthias stand up suddenly and ran away without any explanation.

Silence.

Taemin looks at the door still open the cup in hands.
Jaeshin spoke softly. "So either he wanted to pee, either he left before jumping on you or we got our Serial Killer."

"Well," said Karl after a long silence "are we going to greet this dear Nikolai?"  ++

 "Nikolai was a sorcerer of the eighteenth century. Living in Seoul, he lived for three hundred years before his powers could no longer keep him alive. Some others said that he didn't want to leave anymore since he was heartbroken and let himself die slowly. He asked to be buried at his native country, Korea. The exact place had to remain secret, in case his enemy wanted to do something to his body like bringing him back to life as a Ghoul to use his powers. I heard that even now a powerful Fae was searching his corpse. Only us spirits know he's here. In your garden." Karl said.

Jaeshin smiled bitterly at Karl's explanation as they followed Taemin outside. "Three hundred years is not bad, I've had only twenty-six years to enjoy life."

Taemin pretended to ignore them heading for the garden, but he though no less. One day he would like to hear their stories, how was their life before they found themselves here, buried in his garden. But for now, he needed an answer on his inheritance, and only this Nikolai could give it to him.

When he got outside, he put on a bluetooth headset. Karl thought that he was surely going to have a long time talking alone in front of the passer-by, so he will make them believe that he was on the phone. Not bad.

"Well.." Taemin looked aroung "and now? do i have to do some kind of incantation?"
Karl shrugged "Normally, one sorcerer draws another."
Jaeshin replied "It's not because he has a sorcerer's magic that he is one. He must learn to use it, and if he's not enough powerful, Nikolai will not even open an eye. "
"If he's a spirit like you two, can't you ask him to come?" Taemin was confused.
Jaeshin laughed "Are you serious ? He has not been out of his body for a decade. He refuses to show himself even to us, only one of his descendants can make him come back to life except that he was .. is gay."

Karl looked at him magnanimously "There's nothing bad in that, in the 21st century it has become a ..normal topic. Nikolai loves men so what ? "
Taemin didn't see what he could add besides "Me too."
The spirits look at him without expression until Karl said "Then why did you married..Kate ?"
Taemin swallowed the knot of bitterness that has formed in his throat "One of the stupid things i've done to not face the truth " he changed the subject feeling uncomfortable "so what shall we do ?"

Jaeshin shrugged "Call him."
Just like that? Taemin looked at his garden and swallowed "Nikolai?"

Silence.
He called again "Nikolai? Are you there?" he took a quick look around "I need help." after a long silence Karl and Jaeshin shook their heads.
"Need help ?" replied a voice behind him.

Taemin turned around to found himself face to face with what it would seem to be his twin.

"Oh ." whispered Jaeshin "I had forgotten what he looked like. No wonder you reminded me of someone Taemin, Nikolai is like your reflection in a mirror !"
At that Nikolai scrutinized Taemin, more precisely his eyes.

"You were born from a powerful family of medium." began Nikolai "where some - even if they are rare - are shaman. You are twenty five years old. You married a woman that your best friend loved, but of course you didn't know it since you decided to marry her to deny your attraction to men, precisely this friend. Jackson, right ?"
The world seemed to tremble under Taemin's feet.

Either Nikolai didn't care that he was starting to feel sick or he was immersed in his story "In those five years of marriage you had a little boy with her, Jun. You did everything to be an ideal father and it's surely the only thing that you did good. One day you and your wife were violently quarreling, and that leads you to leave the house. "

Taemin remembered it as if it was yesterday. Kate always talked about how he rejected her, showing no sign of affection. She had been thinking that since the beginning of their marriage he no longer touched her -- after she was pregnant and he was scared to hurt them both and he had let her believe that, but the years passed and Taemin still refused to touch her.

He had come out of the closet that famous day. Confessed for the first time that he loved men, that he was gay. Even today he couldnt forget the expression of horror - or disgust ? - on his ex-wife's face.
He had taken the car and had gone to take refuge where he spent half his childhood playing with his friend Jackson, the Ashdown Forest.

He didn't know how long he had been sitting on the ground full of leafs until he found his friend Jackson in his field of vision, out of breath.

"What are you doing here? did you two quarreled again ?" he asked, Taemin remembered every question more and hard to respond.

"Why are not you with kate?"
"Why are you doing this to her?"
"Why are you doing this to me ?"
"Why are you there ?"
"Why did you intervene between her and me ?"

"Why are you alive?"


There he began to change into a monster with fangs and claws..and a look full of hatred.

Stop Taemin didn't want to remember anymore !

He got out of his thoughts hearing Nikolai go on where he interrupted his memory, a smirk on his lips. "Jackson was so angry that his eyes had turned yellowish, his veins standing out and his voice more and more guttural menacing. You knew what was happening only when he changed.. "

Taemin felt something inside him broke "ENOUGH !" with a cry he felt all his anger and resentment spring out of him, producing a blue sphere emanating electric waves about the size of a balloon from his hands and projecting it directly towards Nikolai.

For the spirits present at that moment what was shocking was not that Taemin could do magic, but that the sphere touched Nikolai in full torso causing him to be projected beyond the fence.

Nikolai Deucius, the greatest sorcerer and prophet of all time who died 300 years ago, had just returned to life.