Sungyeol Oppa

My Best Friend, A Silent Gangster, or A 'Sweet' Singer?

 

Outside, breathing the fresh, clean, night air, you felt as alive as you were with Myungsoo. You felt Sungyeol’s big hand wrapping around yours, its warmth comforting you. You turned to look at him, surprised, and the tips of his ears turned red as he avoided your eyes. You squeezed his hands tightly, enjoying the way his lips curved upward.

The stars didn’t sparkle above you, you didn’t feel the tanginess of love, but you were so content it didn’t matter anyway. Sungyeol swung your arm upward and let go, sprinting toward the just in view coffee shop. “Last one to the coffee shop pays!” he shouted, already halfway there. You chased after him, screaming.

“OPPA! It’s not fair! Your legs are longer and you got a head start-oomph!” you plowed right into his back as he stopped to let you in first.

“Milady,” he gestured politely. You flicked his forehead. “Ow..” he rubbed it and you mehronged him, laughing. It was incredibly sweet the way he let you win.

You walked into the bright coffee shop. Because it was so late, it was practically empty except for the young man, clearly not Korean, that wiping the table. As the little bell jingled, he raised his head with a grin. “Welcome! Please sit down!” he rushed over to pull out a chair for you.

“Thank you~” you smiled. Sungyeol sat down next to you and scooted his chair closer to yours, his face like OUO.

“________,” Sungyeol muttered as the young man, whose nametag said Brad, passed them menus. “Which drink would you like? Ooh, dukbokki. I haven’t had that in a long time! Oh, shaved ice. Ice cream!  Mr. Brad, sir, can we get a dukbokki, a melon shaved ice, and chocolate ice cream please?” he turned to you. “And whatever ________ wants. I’m paying!”

“Sungyeol! You don’t have to!” you patted his earnest face. “Just a hot mocha and a dukbokki please.” When Brad nodded and left, you turned to Sungyeol. “How can you eat so much? You’re so skinny…”

“High metabolism,” he grinned.

You pouted. “Not fair…”

The food came early. “Enjoy!” Brad went behind the kitchen, and unloaded a giant mountainful of food. “The madam who owns this place gifted this to you. She said you were a cute couple!”

“Ah chincha!” you gasped at the load of food. “Tell her kamsamnida! And you too, for bringing it all!”  you got up and bowed, Sungyeol following your lead.

He grinned. “No problem!”

Only when he left did you realize something. Did he just call you a couple? You peeked at Sungyeol from the corner of your eye, but he was busy devouring the melon shaved ice. He held out a spoonful to you. “SAY AHHH!”

“Ahh” you took the mouthful, dripping ice around your mouth.

“Aigoo, you pabo.”

“Oppa, more!” you laughed as he dabbed your lips with a napkin.

He smiled a gummy smile at you, and you suddenly remembered Myungsoo. How he took care of you, took you to the beach, tended your injuries, saved you, and loved you, even if it was only for the time being. You felt hot tears come to your eyes.

“_______? Gwenchana?” Sungyeol looked at you worriedly. “Did I do something wrong? You can hit oppa!” he panicked for a second.

“Ani, oppa. I need to go do something.” You wiped your eyes roughly and got up. “I need to help somebody. Mianhae, we’ll do this again next time.” You ran out of the store, leaving a dumbstruck Sungyeol.