My True Best Friend

My Best Friend, A Silent Gangster, or A 'Sweet' Singer?

I really can’t leave her. She’s too sweet. Look at her running toward the snack shack, like there’s not a care in the world. I know if I stay, she’ll get hurt. If I leave, she’ll hurt too. If I stay, her life could end. Her life means more than mine. If anyone has to die, it should be me. I have to lead the gangs away from her. Being around me makes her in danger. If I leave, she’ll hurt for a while. But then she’ll meet someone else. Someone sweet and kind and more attractive to her than anyone else in the whole world. Someone that isn’t me.

You run back with bimbap, and accidently trip on Myungsoo’s long legs. You stumbled, then caught yourself, grinning at Myungsoo, who was still deep in thought. “Myungsoo?” “Ah!” he said, knocked quickly out of his thoughts. “Food! I was, er, wondering when it would get here.” “Are you okay?” yyou questioned curiously. He speared a piece of bimbap with a chopstick and held it in your face. “Of course I would be! Why wouldn’t I?” Myungsoo told himself he was going to tell you everything if you questioned further. You cautiously bit into the food. He seemed fine. You decided to let it go. That was your worse mistake. The next day, you walked to school, wondering where Myungsoo was. Wasn’t he going to pick you up? He didn’t come, so you had to walk. You had grown too dependent on him. You passed through classes wondering where he was. At lunch, he was nowhere in sight. Afterschool, you saw him riding on his motorbike. The week passed by, and you hardly saw him at all. When you did, he was distant. I was going to make these days the best in her life, he thought. But when I saw how dependent she was on me, my heart broke. If I were only a normal person, I would be the person she would lean on the most, he best friend, and the only protector.

You talked to Sulli about it. “He’s acting so weird. I have no idea what’s going on. I think he changed, in about a day! What do you think is going on?” Sulli was worried for her friend. She knew that __________ was in love with Myungsoo, even though she didn’t show it. “I didn’t know you were so close to him. I haven’t talked to you so much lately. I missed you a lot, _________.” You felt tears come to your eyes. “I’m sorry, Sulli! I promise to be a better friend! Please forgive me!” Sulli smiled at your earnest reply. “Of course I will, you pabo. Who else is going to take care of you?” You hugged your best friend, feeling like the luckiest person in the world.