What I Have To Do To Protect Her

My Best Friend, A Silent Gangster, or A 'Sweet' Singer?

YES THAT IS MYUNGSOO CRYING! It hurts me too...

Narrator POV

The room is silent for a second. You burst out laughing. “PWAHAHAH! Stop joking around, Jongie! You-Your-C’mon-”

“I’m serious _____!” Sungjong put on his perfect, puppy-faced look. “SARANGHAE!!!” He wrapped his arms around you, snug and comfortable. You felt a blush rising up to your cheeks. Two weeks ago, you would’ve said yes, without fail, of course, with no thoughts on why you shouldn’t. But now… you glanced over at Myungsoo. He was staring at the floor and clenching his fists, knuckles white and face pale. Then you looked at Sungjong. His eyes were closed and he seemed quite comfy with his head on your shoulder. Gently, you pushed him off. You couldn’t do this to Myungsoo; he was way more to you than an ‘Oppa’ and took way better care of you and you loved him more-

Apparently Sungjong had took the shoulder shove as ‘go away and leave me alone’ which you hadn’t intended but Sungjong took it the wrong way. He threw himself on the floor dramatically. “Please- give me a chance, all this time, I was in love with you, but I couldn’t express myself, I didn’t know I loved you, I didn’t understand anything, please!” Sungjong kept on pleading to you. He looked so pitiful on the ground, plus he was your best friend, that you just couldn’t say no. “Oppa, I’ll think about it, okay?” you firmly looked him in the eye. Then you lead him up to his feet and gently pushed him near the door. “You should leave now, Sungjong. I need to think.” Sungjong looked back, a look of slight relief on his face. That is, until you shoved him out the door and closed it, leaving you and Myungsoo inside-alone.

You promptly forgot that he was outside and plopped on the couch, your head in your hand, massaging your temples. Myungsoo could hear you saying, “Ah, chincha!” quietly to yourself but stayed in the same position. I can’t believe that idiot did that! He thought to himself.

You finally looked up. “I was going to say yes,” you slowly spoke to him. Myungsoo looked up, shocked yet resigned. “But then I saw you, looking at the floor like that, and I knew that even if I tried, I can’t bring myself to hurt you.” You looked directly into his eyes. “Myungsoo, what do I do?”

Myungsoo felt his heart explode in more ways than one. He was happy and excited, but also a bit resentful of Sungjong. He wanted you to choose him, and not even consider Sungjong. But That was your choice, and he knew that he couldn’t take that away from you. If you wanted to be with Sungjong, he would let you. If you wanted to be with him, he would let you. If you wanted both of them, by all means, take me!

He slowly spoke up. “__________, you know I love you a lot right?” He looked at the floor nervously. “And I can’t say I want you to be with Sungjong that much. But if you love him, please, just go to him. Don’t worry about hurting me. If he hurts you, I promise you, I’ll still be here if you want me. No matter how many times you hurt me, or how many times you get hurt and need my help, I promise you- I will always be there to help you pick up the pieces, to forgive you, and love you. You don’t have to choose if you don’t want to. But it’s your choice. Do whatever makes you happy, whatever you want and need, please, just forget me. Be selfish. You deserve it.”

You felt your pulse quicken, your lungs in that breathless manner that only Myungsoo could give you. Your eyes automatically filled with tears at his sweet speech. Myungsoo came closer, shocked. “What? Did I say something wrong?” You shook your head. For once in your life, what a boy said to you was perfect. It was exactly what you needed. Love, incentive. You looked up to him. “Myungsoo, I told you this before, even if I tried, I know I can’t hurt you. You were here too much for me, helping me and saving me, and you had a harsher life for me. I know that I probably can’t choose, but you don’t have to tell me that. I’m selfish, so selfish, for wanting both of you. And I know I can’t have both, no matter what you say. I’m…” you couldn’t finish your sentence. He slowly wiped your tears and smiled at you. “Don’t worry, ________, I can take care of everything.” But on the inside, he cried because of what he had to do to protect your heart.

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Myungsoo carefully carried you bridal style to your bedroom (no dirty thoughts peeps!) and laid you on the bed. You had fallen asleep with exhaustion. He went to the bathroom, wet a towel, and washed your face. He was determined to keep you from being hurt by anyone. He covered you with a blanket, and then he showered, put on a clean shirt, and went downstairs to cook you something. Myungsoo honestly at cooking. He spent most of his meals on packaged ramen. So he boiled enough water for two ramens, and went to the phone. He dialed the school number. 010- _ _ _- _ _ _ _

It rang for a few seconds, then the secretary picked ups. “~~~~~~~~~ school, this is the secretary, how may I help you?”  A female voice answered.

“Ahjumma, this is Kim Myungsoo. May I speak with the principal?”

“Ah, Myungsoo! De, you may speak with him. I’ll call him in a second, hold on. MR. CHOI! COME OVER!”

Myungsoo waited for a second until the male principal answered. “Doomseyo?”

“Anyeongseyo Principal! This is Myungsoo. Can you withdraw my application from the school please?”

“Why, Myungsoo, why?”

“Oh… I had some prior engagements. I will probably end up going to school these next two weeks, but after that, can you withdraw my application to this school please?”

“Well, we will certainly do as the student pleases, but we are sure to miss you… what did you say your name was again?”

“Myungsoo.”

“De. We are sure to miss you Myungsoo-shii. Please come over tomorrow to fill out some paperwork.”

“De. Kamsamnida~!”

Myungsoo hung up the phone his heart beating fast at what he just did. He just sealed his fate out of your life. And you had no clue.