Soojin

Does He Love Me? Does He Love Me Not?

I never thought silence could be this deafening. We're now having our dinner at home. My seat is facing Mingyu but I can't even look at him in the eye. My parents are talking with each other. My brother was busy eating.

It's been hours since Mingyu and I came back from Gyeonghwa Station. And dang it, I can't forget that cringy scene we did in the middle of the station, in the middle of the crowd, in the middle of the cherry blossom trees.

I didn't know what I was thinking. Instict controlled me over.

This isn't the first time that I hugged a guy, right? Well except for my brother, I have also hugged my guy friends, some of my friends in school as well as the Seventeen members. It's a friendly hug, anyway. But why the heck am I tensing up with just the mere thought of Mingyu and I hugging.

I was never a fan of romance. I never and will never like displaying affection in public. I don't like romantic movies. I don't like fairytales. I am not that type of girl. I am not into typical romance.

Hugging Mingyu, who happens to be my friend, should never ever be romantic for me, right? It's platonic love. Nothing romantic.

Mingyu and I as lovers? NO. A VERY BIG NO. That shouldn't ever cross my mind.

Do I like him? Of course, I do, he's my friend. But do I like him more than a friend? Is there any chance that I'll fall for someone like him?

"No!"

Oh . All eyes are on me. I didn't realize I yelled the word 'no' out loud.

"What's wrong, Sujin?" My mother asked.

"Nothing, mom." I chortled which made me look even more of a fool. My brother shook his head and continued eating. My parents carried on with that they were talking about. Mingyu... uhm... he's looking at me.

I smiled a bit and focused my attention with the food I was eating.

I don't wanna look at him again.

BED time came in fast. I was ready to fall asleep but then I feel so hungry. I have no food in my room. I think I need to go out.

I went out and tiptoed my way down the kitchen.

I opened the fridge and was immediately smitten by the dumplings. I put the dumplings in the microwave first so I can eat it hot. My tummy is already growling. I guess I'll skip my diet for now.

When the dumplings are hot enough, I served myself all of it. I guess I feel hungry now because I wasn't able to fully enjoy the dinner a while ago. It was so odd for me not to talk or even look at Mingyu.

I shook my head and focused on eating the dumplings.

One bite.

"Hmmm!" I couldn't contain the joy I felt as I was eating. It was heavenly.

"Can't sleep?"

I was munching my food when I heard a voice in my back. I already have a hint on who it was but I looked back to confirm it and I was right.

I suddenly got conscious as I saw Mingyu. He was wearing pyjama bottoms and a black tank top on the upper part of his body. I can't take my eyes off his body especially his arms. I never thought he'd have muscles considering his age. I thought he's as skinny as Wonwoo.

"Uhm, y-yes. I felt hungry so I went here to find some food."

Mingyu sighed and stepped closer to me. I automatically stepped backwards.

His head tilted.

"Sujin, we need to talk."

Huh?

"B-but we're already talking." I told him. Why is he close? Why do I feel like I can't breathe normally when he's this near?

"I need to tell you something really serious. I want some privacy for that matter." I am so curious. Where is this conversation going?

"In the living room. Yes, we can talk in the living room if you want. Come, follow me." I immediately walked passed him and went straight to our living room. Our house is almost as modern as the houses now in the country so it's almost like a typical average house.

I sat on the the tuxedo sofa and not a minute later, Mingyu was already here beside me.

"So... what are we going to talk about?" I asked without stuttering.

He breathed deeply and looked at me.

"You're treating me like Wonwoo." He said.

"W-what?"

"I noticed ever since what happened in Gyeonghwa station, you started acting strange. I admit, I was upset when you ignored me while we were having dinner a while back. I thought nothing would change. But I guess I was wrong. The way you act around me now is the way you act around Wonwoo when he confessed to you."

I hate to admit it but I think he's actually right.

Mingyu and Wonwoo are my friends. They're my best buddies. I can't afford to lose neither of them. I feel so attached to them and ever since Wonwoo told me he likes me, the first thoughts that came to my mind was that something would definitely change. I'm not ready for a relationship. But I don't want to hurt anyone. I don't know how to tell him that I can't reciprocate the feelings he feels for me.

So, I made a decision to just avoid Wonwoo as much as I can. I don't want us to talk anything about that relates to him liking me. That's just so awkward for me.

And now, I think I'm acting like this around Mingyu, too. But the only difference is that Mingyu didn't even confessed to me.

"I like you, Sujin."

WAIT.

WHAT?

"Mwwooo?" I raised my voice. He immediately covered my mouth with his hand to keep me from making noise.

"There, I said it, I like you. Everyone knows I like you. I came here to confess in the very romantic way possible but I don't care anymore. I just want you to know that I'm pursuing you. And please, don't make me feel like a stranger just because I confessed. We are still friends. But the fact will remain that I want a romantic relationship with you, Sujin. I don't care about anyone else but you. I'm pursuing you from now on." He talked confidently and I was in awe of the words he said.

"Wait, let me just digest what you said." I tried to calm myself.

I can see a smile creeping from his face but I ignored it.

He put an arm on the headrest of the couch and his hand is closer to me now.

"B-but... why me?" I just wanted to ask this question because if I imagine myself as a guy, I wouldn't like someone like me.

He cleared his throat.

"Well, I liked you ever since I first met you. I'm happy whenever I'm with you. I get mad and jealous when you're with another guys. I just want you to hang out with me. Then one day, I realized how much I would be so happy when you and I become an item. I'd be the happiest man on earth, I swear."

I can't believe Mingyu is saying some cringy things now. What happened to him? Are all the guys the same? When they're pursuing someone, do they act all mushy and cheesy all the time? Because I seriously can't handle it.

I grew up witnessing the love my parents have for each other. They kiss and hug in front of me and my brother and I'm fine with that but to be the person involved in a romantic situation is a different thing.

"But what if Wonwoo finds out?" I asked him.

"About what?"

"About us. I, I mean about you liking me." I'm so tensed I can't control my choice of words.

"Wonwoo hyung is my bestfriend, too. But I felt betrayed when I found out he told you he likes you. Everyone in Seventeen knows I like you, even him. So I was completely shocked when I found out. I felt bad. I promised myself I wouldn't pressure and rush things to you but I feel like I need to step up and tell you that I like you, too."

I'm so speechless. Why is this happening to me? In romantic novels and films, being torn between two handsome guys is something that will make the girl feel special but this is reality. I feel so bad. I feel like I'll be the reason of a friendship that will break its bond soon.

"Sujin, just please, give me one chance to prove my feelings for you." His eyes are almost pleading.

"Mingyu, this is so sudden. I need to think about this." I responded.

"But you might treat me like how you treat Wonwoo, now. I don't want to be ignored, Sujin. I want your approval. I can show you how much I like you if you just allow me to."

It took me minutes to answer him. I was in deep thought.

"Your feelings for me will change, soon. We'll see." I managed to smile despite of the fact that I'm beginning to really feel conscious with my actions and with my words. When someone likes you, you would really feel conscious about yourself when they're around and that is exactly what is happening to me right now.

"Your feelings for me will change, Mingyu. It will soon change." I told him in a serious tone. I realized that I can't handle any more of this. If he likes me, then I'm sorry but I really can't stand it. I need to avoid that person.

He stood up and casually put his hands on his pockets.

"You're right." He said. I honestly didn't expect his response. But well, it's a good thing he'd agree to what I say. I think he now understands how young his feelings for me is and how it will definitely change in the future.

His eyes pierced at me, I was still sitting. I felt like I was glued to my seat.

"My feelings for you might change."

I nodded.

Yes, Mingyu. You're getting my point.

"I may like you now... but I might love you soon. Feelings change, but one thing that I'm sure of, my feelings for you will get better. It will definitely get better."

And I was left dumbfounded as he walked away with that triumphant grin on his handsome face.

What the heck just happened?

(to be continued...)

Chapter image: Mingyu in their Pretty U performance today 160618