Soojin

Does He Love Me? Does He Love Me Not?

 

"About last night..."

"Oh, yes. I fell asleep why you were telling me something through the phone. I woke in the morning and my phone was still on my side. I'm sorry." I was quick to answer.

I can't believe I didn't even stammer.

Wonwoo sighed.

"Which means you can't remember what I said, right?"

I nodded.

"Yes, but you can just tell me right now if you want to." I know I sound like a really good liar with my statements but I really shouldn't tell him I heard everything.

"Ah, no. Nevermind. That wasn't that important anyway. I'm just glad." He smiled.

He's glad? Glad that we wouldn't be awkward around each other anymore because he thinks I don't know that he likes me, right?

I want to cringe. I can't really digest the thought that my bestfriend, that I've known for years, likes me romantically. I've always thought bestfriends love each other platonically.

NOON break, my brother came in the practice room to look for me.

"I knew you'd be here." He said.

"Of course, where else would I be?"

"Come on, let's have lunch."

I was playing with Samuel. He pouted when he heard what my brother said.

"Can Samuel join us?"

My brother adores Samuel. He treats him like a younger brother.

Sungjin looked around and announced that he'll be treating us food for lunch. They were so happy.

"Are you going to use the company's money?" I asked.

"Of course, not. I have my own money."

I just shrugged my shoulder.

WE went in a restaurant near the company building. We just walked our way there because, of course, we can't all fit inside one car. Besides, it's just a few minute walk from Pledis.

They all ordered bibimbap while I chose bulgogi. Nothing beats this marinated beef that I love. Bulgogi has always been my favorite dish.

"So, how's 17tv?" My brother opened the conversation.

"It's fun. We get to do what we like without being too reserved even if there are cameras around." Doyoon answered.

Actually, since their show is being aired late at night, I have just watched few times. It was more than an hour long. Fans are so lucky to keep track of what the guys are doing for two long hours in the practice room. I think it was a good idea to air a show like this so the members won't be that awkward around the cameras once they debut.

Everyone was sharing their thoughts about 17tv when I spot Mingyu having a hard time to with his left hand. Wait, is he left-handed? I don't observe petty things but I was a bit surprised when I found him struggling to eat because his left elbow kept hitting Jihoon's elbow. Jihoon's here with us now. He was late because he just got home from Busan. He said he spent the weekend in their hometown.

I was beside Mingyu. I was the one near my brother who acts like the father since he's sitting in the solo seat.

"Mingyu, you wanna exchange seats?"

"Sure." He didn't even hesitate.

He's now closer to my brother. Mingyu's on my right side and Jihoon's on my left. Wonwoo was sitting opposite my direction. He smiled when he saw me looking at him.

There goes again my memory automatically goes back to what he confessed about him liking me.

It shouldn't bother me. I shouldn't be affected. I kept repeating that in my head.

"Hey, Sujin, let me put some rice on your plate. You can't eat with just meat." Mingyu put some rice from his plate to mine.

I was actually really hungry but I want to keep my skinny figure. I figured it's harder to lose weight when I keep eating rice. But then, I don't want Mingyu to feel bad so I just accepted it.

"Ahem, ahem," I heard my oppa, Sungjin, coughed as if he was faking it.

"You okay, oppa?" I asked him.

"Yeah."

"You want more rice, Sujin?" Mingyu asked.

I want to say yes but I don't want to gain weight.

"No, I think I'm full."

"Oh, alright." He smiled at me.

Mingyu can sometimes be playful and teasing but he can also be caring and sweet. I guess that's what he is around his friends.

"Ahem, as you guys know, Sujin is my sister, my only sister. So if anyone, I mean any single one of you, is starting to develop something deeper than a friendship with her, then you should be careful to keep it a secret. I don't and won't allow my sister to have a boyfriend at this young age."

WHAT??? I got really, really surprised with what my brother said.

I saw Mingyu choked. I passed him the water. He looked so red and so tensed.

I turned to my brother who is now grinning.

"Oppa! Are you crazy? What are you talking about? Nobody here likes me in a romantic way! If that's what you're meaning." I wanted to defend these guys but I think I lied because I know one who likes me romantically. Now, I'm feeling tensed, too.

"Are you sure about that, Sujin?" Seungcheol asked. Him and my brother and Doyoon are really the annoying hyungs in my life. They get into my nerves sometimes.

"I am a hundred percent sure. Guys, you all think of me as a sister, right?" I turned to face the others. They were nodding, especially the maknaes.

I don't want to look at Wonwoo's side because... hmmm... just because.

"See? They all think of me as their sister. No one will cross the line."

Geez, I can't believe we just had this weird conversation. Yes, sometimes they tease me with other members but I don't feel anything about that.

Where did this topic come from?

FIVE in the afternoon, the staff was briefing the members on what they should do in the show for tonight. I was in the lobby waiting. They're being instructed and I don't have to be there. I might just disturb them.

I saw some girls in their pink shirts walking inside the building. They look like really young teenagers. They entered without even looking around. They're busy chatting about someone, I guess. Well, not my concern.

I saw Mingyu walked outside the elevator that the girls entered. I saw how the eyes of the girls focused on Mingyu. They look so flushed. My forehead creased. They like him, obviously.

What's not to like? Mingyu's the real definition of tall, dark and handsome. He's not that dark, though. I like his skin the most because it looks y on him.

WAIT. What the hell am I thinking?!

I just noticed he was wearing his school uniform.

"You're going to school?" I asked him.

"Yup. I have something to pass. I already asked for the permission of the manager. You wanna come with me?"

His invitation was tempting. I am quite bored in the lobby doing nothing. I still have an hour to wait for my brother so I stood up and agreed to come with Mingyu.

He was all smiles when I said yes.

I saw his teeth. Both sides have sharp tooth. I remembered the first time I met him, his teeth was what I used as an identity.

WE went to the subway station. I took us twenty minutes to get to their school. It's his last year in middle school. I guess that's why he's busier than usual. Soon, he'll be entering high school. I wonder where will he enroll?

The girls in his school are all looking at us as if we're a couple dating in school. Their eyes seemed to be throwing daggers at my direction. Mingyu just walked cooly while I was almost hiding beside him. Geez, these middle schoolers are scary.

It didn't take long when he was done passing his project to his teacher. I just waited outside.

While he was inside, I was second guessing. I want to tell Mingyu what Wonwoo told me through the phone.

When we was back, I couldn't say it. We silently walked to the subway station and we sat there.

"Hmm, Sujin is silent. Something wrong?" He poked my cheek.

I shoved his hand away. I don't like it when someone pinches my cheek. I know Mingyu would do that now if I haven't shoved him.

"I want to tell you something, Mingyu. But this should be kept as a secret. You can't tell this to anyone especially my brother."

He looked serious now.

"Sure, I promise. What is it?"

I cleared my throat.

"You know that Wonwoo is my closest friend in Seventeen, right?" I said.

He suddenly looked pissed.

"I thought it's me, though."

Now, I'm surprised. Maybe he looked mad because I technically said he isn't as close to me as Wonwoo.

"No, no, don't get me wrong. You're a great friend to me, as well. It's just that... uhmm, Wonwoo told me he likes me and that he wants to court me. I just don't know what to do or how to act like my normal self when the fact remains that he wants me to be his girlfriend. I mean, that's so awkward, right?"

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!"

Mingyu's voice rose. I don't know how to calm him. He looked angry. Oh my god, did I say something wrong?

(to be continued...)

Chapter Image: Pre-debut Mingyu. :)