Mingyu

Does He Love Me? Does He Love Me Not?

"SURPRISE!!! Congratulations on your graduation, Mingyu!!!" The staff and the hyungs and dongsaengs of Seventeen are all gathered here in the training room to surprise me.

I was surprised, of course. After what Sujin told me before we part aways a while ago in the mall, my mood has been so down. I wasn't expecting she'd be that angry. Although, I'm telling the truth. It's true that I asked the dongsaengs where they would be seeing Sujin and what will they do in the mall. But it was also true that the dongsaengs are having a practice with Soonyoung hyung. I just wanted to be with her.

And now, she thought I lied to her. That I had skipped the practice for her. I know my priorities and I won't do that even if I wanted to. I don't want to sacrifice the training for anything else but she should understand that she's one of my priorities now, too.

"Ya, Mingyu! Don't frown. The phone call was a prank. We just wanted to surprise you." Doyoon hyung comforted me because he noticed I wasn't smiling.

"Where's Sujin?" Jihoon hyung asked.

"She's at home. She said she was tired." I answered nonchalantly.

I looked around and saw Seungkwan and Seokmin wearing those party hats. I guess I wasn't the only one that they surprised. It's the first week of February. Weeks from now, the three of us will be graduating in middle school. I'll be entering high school and I want to study in the same place as Sujin but how would I do that now if she'll start ignoring me?

This surprise party doesn't even help me even a bit to lift my mood up.

"Can't wait to see you following Sujin anywhere she goes once you attend SOPA, too. The enrollment will be next month." Wonwoo said as he sat beside me. We were already eating.

I just sighed. Girls are compplicated. I have never been attracted like this before. Just her. Only her.

Now I don't know how we will face each other.

She had said words that pained me and I told her I was sorry that I was forcing her to be with me even if she never wanted to. That was like telling her that I'll stop pursuing her... that I have gave up on her.

That's not true.

I won't give up on her.

Yet, I just don't know how to approach her. Should I apologize? But what did I do wrong? This is one complicated situation.

The next day...

I woke up early in the dorm to attend the rehearsal for our graduation ceremony. It's getting nearer and nearer. I hope all my loved ones would be here. How cheesy it may seem, but I'd like Sujin to see me.

We're almost the same age. She's just a few months older than me and how I wished that when I was younger, I should have enrolled a year earlier so I'd be in the same academic level as her.

"Mingyu!"

One of my classmates approached me.

"Yes?"

"Congrats on your achievement!"

I creased my forehead.

"For what?" I asked.

"For becoming the first in the academic ranking, duh! You seem so lost. Cheer up! Okay?" This girl. I don't even know her name. I can't remember it. But she seemed really friendly.

She waved me goodbye afterwards.

Hours later...

We were already in the Seventeen show and it's already ten in the evening but I haven't seen Sujin since yesterday. It's hard to keep a smile on my face but I try my best not to look sad and pitiful on tv.

My mind was distracted for some time as I played along the other members. It's somehow a good thing the other hyungs weren't with us because we got to just play with each other all the time. We even painted some of the members' faces. I was touching the brush and I wanted to write Sujin's name on the back of my hand but of course, I can't do that. I drew a heart on it.

Are you watching this right now, Sujin? I hope you do.

When we were done, I grabbed Seungkwan's hand.

"Seungkwan, you've been here in the building since lunch, right? Did you happen to see Sujin?" I asked him.

I don't want any of them to suspect that I was actually looking for her because they'd think that Sujin is now avoiding me. That would hurt me more if they knew.

"Yes, hyung. Sujin noona was here." Seungkwan answered seriously even with that funny painting on his face.

"And? What did she do? She talked to you?" I asked again. Now I'm regretting attending that graduation rehearsal this morning. I should have just stayed here and waited for her. At least, I get to see her personally.

"She didn't talk that much. She said she was waiting for her brother."

I paused. I wanted to ask something but I don't know how to ask it.

"Uhm, did she, uh, did she---"

"Did she ask about you?" Seungkwan continued my inquiry.

This boy sure knows how to read my mind.

"Yeah, did she look for me?"

I was hoping he'd say yes.

"Nope."

Not the answer that I was expecting. I thought she would at least look for me or ask about me or ask where I was when she was here but she didn't.

Is that it?

Everything ends there?

She wouldn't even bother to text or call me. She should say sorry for accusing me of lying to her during the last time we talked but I don't even know if she knows what her fault is.

She easily judges other people, even me.

She is easily bothered by the words she hear from the people surrounding her. She shouldn't have trust issues but I don't think she trusts me that much, either.

ONE week. It's been one damn week and I haven't seen Sujin's face in Pledis. I occasionally see Sungjin hyung but he's always alone when he goes here and when he leaves. He's also been busy producing videos for Nuest.

My whole family is here in Seoul. They attended my graduation and we're now eating in a fine dining restaurant.

"Eat more, Mingyu. You should gain weight. My boy is losing more and more weight. Do you want me to get worried?" My mother was talking to me in a motherly tone.

I shook my head. They need to know that I'm getting older and that I'm their eldest and not some kind of a five-year old boy that they need to take care of.

"I'm not that hungry." I told them.

My father and sister are now looking at me too.

"What happened to you, oppa? You look sad." Minseo said.

Is it really that obvious?

"If you have a problem, you can always tell me. It's a pity that you had to live by yourself at such a young age but I am glad at how matured you've grown for the past years you were away with us, son. I'm proud of you." My father handed me a bottle of a beer he ordered.

"You shouldn't give him that yet." My mother interrupted and she took the beer from my hand.

My parents aren't the type of husband and wife that Sujin has. My parents seldom show their romantic side especially when Minseo and I are around but I still feel the love between them.

I almost choked while drinking water when I saw the guy and the girl who have just entered the restaurant.

It was Sungjin hyung with his one and only sister.

Sujin.

Our eyes met but she instantly looked away.

I didn't even notice they were walking towards our direction.

"Mingyu?" Sungjin hyung looked at me and then to my parents.

"Mr. and Mrs. Kim, it's nice to see you here."

They shook hands.

"Sungjin Han, a Pledis employee, right?" I saw you once in the dorm when I visited him months ago." My mother said.

"Yes, that was me. By the way, this is my younger sister, Sujin." Sujin nodded her head and forced a smile. I was just looking at her the whole time.

"Sujin... do you happen to be one of Mingyu's friends?" My mother asked her.

Now I don't know how she'll answer that.

She was about to answer when Minseo interrupted.

"Not just a "friend", omma. Mingyu oppa and Sujin unnie are like super duper close. Oppa has a crush on Sujin unnie, I guess."

I glared at my sister who instantly shut when she saw my gaze.

I saw how Sujin's cheeks reddened and she was almost hiding behind her brother.

"We have to go, now. Sorry for interrupting you." Sungjin hyung smiled and excused himself. Sujin walked and followed him.

They will be eating here, too.

"Is it true, Minseo? Your oppa likes Sujin?" My mother asked immediately.

"We shouldn't be talking about this matter right now, especially that they might hear what we're talking about." I carefully told them.

"So, what if they'll hear us?" Mother raised her eyebrow.

I just sighed.

I won't win in this argument.

"You should be confident, Mingyu. Why didn't you say anything when she was closer to you a while ago?" My father suddenly asked.

"I... well... I kind of... well, know that she doesn't have the same feelings for me so I just don't want to pressure her. I would avoid her as much as I can." I said those words but it didn't feel right.

"But as a man who's been with a woman for almost two decades now, I must now whether or not a girl likes a guy. And by looking at Sujin's reaction when she saw you, I'm pretty sure she likes you, too, Mingyu."

HUH?

How would she like me? She doesn't even throw gaze at me. She avoids me. She ignores me.

My father continued talking,

"She may not figure it out yet but I know, in time, she'll realize that she has fallen for you, too."

(to be continued...)