Soojin

Does He Love Me? Does He Love Me Not?

For the next days, I was assigned to assist on Wonwoo's condition. Everyday, we visit the hospital to let the doctors check on him.

"I really want to peform again soon."

Wonwoo's a bit sad because he can't come to the events in Seventeen's schedule because he's still sick.

I often go to their dorm, too. Sometimes, a staff would come with me but most of the time, it will just be me. I don't see the other members when I arrive in the dorm because they spend most of their time in the building for practicing  a chore0graphy.

It's been more than two weeks since the management had to halt Wonwoo's activities.

"You have to get well really soon, then. Don't be too upset that you can't perform. You've got a lot of chances to do that once you are no longer sick." I tried to cheer him up.

He smiled at me. His stare lasted a bit longer as if he's thinking something about me.

"I hope you'd loosen up a bit, Soojin. You look so serious and profession for most of the time since you came back. Where is that Soojin I used to hang out with? That Soojin who's really friendly and cheerful. You know sometimes, I wonder why you did not fall for me. They say opposites attract but in our case, I guess it's not true. Instead, you fell for someone who you have the same personality with. You are both youthful and bright persons so no wonder you two are a perfect match for each other. I hope I get to see that side of yours again, Soojin. Mingyu did not lose that side of him. Whereas you, I think you've changed a lot."

Wait, what the hell is this Jeon Wonwoo saying? He's suddenly blabbering about me.

"You know what, if you are not sick, I would have slapped you real hard on your arms."

He chuckled.

"Don't laugh! I'm serious!" My voice raised a bit.

"Exatly. You're always serious. Smile!"

I shook my head. I don't know whta's up with Wonwoo these days.

Ever since I first went here in their dorm, I've noticed something in him that's glowing. When we're going to the hospital or talking about his absence in the group, he'd be sad about it but when we're just talking about random things, he's very talkative which is not so like him. I'm thinking that maybe something is making him act this weird.

I'm thinking... maybe there's a girl involved but... ever since he courted me before, I've never heard of anyone that he romantically likes.

WHEN I went home, I saw my two brother in the kitchen. I walked towards them and wrapped my arms around their shoulders.

"Hey, guys!" I greeted them.

Sungjin and Jaejin turned to me with a confused look on their faces.

"Who are you? Where is Soojin?" Sungjin asked.

I laughed.

"Do I look like another person to you, oppa?"

"Noona, you look so happy. Did anything happen? Did you get promoted?" It was Jaejin.

I almost facepalmed at their comments.

"Nothing extraordinary happened today, okay? I just feel great because we're complete."

They both smiled at me.

"Aigoo, our Soojin is being dramatic." Sungjin pat my head like I was some kind of a puppy or something.

I guess, Wonwoo's right. I should loosen up and just live my life the way I want it. I should not worry too much because it won't lead to anything good. I want to smile more often like how  I used to do before.

THE next day, Wonwoo called when I was just about to leave the house. He was asking me to just stay in my house and not to go to their dorm anymore. I was curious but I did not ask why. I guess he just want to be alone.

But I can't stay in the house. I have to do something else.

I called the road manager of Seventeen. I know they have a concert to attend to today. It's a Thank You Festival.

The manager told me the location so I asked Sungjin to drive me there.

"What's keeping you busy, oppa? I thought you'd be the official manager of SM's new boy group? Isn't NCT the new boy group from SM?" I asked while he was driving.

He nodded.

"Yeah, but it has several units and I'll be in-charge of a unit soon."

"Ah, I saw Taeyong oppa in one event just a few days ago." I told him.

He glanced at me.

"I know. He mentioned you. He even asked for your number."

"Really? Did you give it then?"

"Yes, you're friends with him so nothing's wrong with giving him your number."

"Of course. I hope we could catch up sometimes. He's been really busy nowadays but I'm glad he already debuted."

We arrived at the venue.

"Soojin, I want you to know that as your brother, I'm glad that you're not being too uptight now. But I also want to remind you to be careful in every decision you make. You're old enough to know the right from wrong. I will always be here to protect you but you should also learn how to guard yourself. I don't want you to get hurt. You understand me?"

I giggled and hugged my brother.

"No one's going to hurt me, don't worry."

I bid him goodbye before getting out of the car.

THE venue was an open place but I think the viewers have to buy a ticket before getting inside. It's still ten in the morning but I can already see some Seventeen fans here. Daebak. They're really something.

"Done with the rehearsal?" I asked one of the staff when I arrived in the waiting area. It's a building just located in the back of the stage.

"Ah, Soojin, what are you doing here?" She asked me.

"I decided to come over and lend a hand. Wonwoo wanted to stay in the dorm for the whole day."

Unnie guided me to the waiting room where I saw the members in their casual clothes. Some of them are sleeping. I know they're tired. They just went from an event yesterday.

I quietly sat on one chair.

I wonder how the members can keep up with their hectic schedule. They practice a lot. I thought they'd have a full rest after their Yeppeuda promotions but I heard that they'll be having a comeback next month which means they have to practice another choreography for a short span of a month. They have been training for years now that maybe they get used to having too little amount of time to rest.

"Soojin, oh thank goodness you're here!" Mr. Ahn looked relieved when he saw me.

The members looked to my side when they heard Mr. Ahn.

Mingyu, who's wearing a striped shirt, glanced at me in surprise.

"Yes, Mr. Ahn, anything I can help you with?"

"The production team is lacking one cameraman and I thought of you because I know you have experience in handling a camera before. Maybe you could help them with the broadcast later. Just aim for the best shot. Is that okay?"

I want to hesitate but I think I can't say no. I have to be good at this. It's somehow a way to improve the connection between the producers of this event and Pledis.

It's been months since I haven't been able to hold a dslr camera so I'm quite nervous. But I know I should erase the negative thoughts. I relaxed myself. I'm good at this so I should be confident.

So, right after the event was introduced, I was already at the camera area as I controlled where the camera should be shooting. I especially want to do this for a good camera take for Seventeen's performance.

The area where I was was somehow located in the middle. I get to see the fans screaming their support for their favorite groups. To be honest, my arms kind of hurt from working with the camera. Good thing, another staff went to me and informed me that he was assigned to be the cameraman originally. He was just late today, I guess.

"Ahjussi, are you sure you don't need me here?" I asked just to confirm because he said he'll take care of the situation.

"Yes, please. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I just want to show the boss that I can do this alone so they won't fire me because I was late." He looked so sorry for being late. I want to ask him why he did not come on time but I don't want to disturb him anymore.

I just told him I'll leave him there and will go to the waiting area.

It's already around seven in the evening. The groups has started peforming. Seventeen was up next so I stayed for a while beside the audiences to watch them. If only I did not receive a message from Mr. Ahn, then I wouldn't know that they needed me.

I walked fast to get into the waiting area and to the room of Seventeen.

Two black clothes are hanging and I saw Mingyu and Jun's name.

Inside the room, there's a flat screen tv where we're watching the boys.

A minute after their live performance, I was surprised to see the members entering the room. They look like they are in a hurry. Mingyu and Jun immediately went to the hair and makeup stylists.

I'm so confused. What are they doing? Are they getting ready for another performance?

I've been with Wonwoo for the past few days so maybe that's the reason why I don't have a clue on what they would do besides the Yeppeuda performance,

My attention went to the phone inside my pocket when it beeped.

I saw Wonwoo's message asking me to bring him medicines. I knew it. He had his check up today but he wanted to go there alone. He's not used to being dependent to others. I replied, asking him to send me the full details of the medicine so I can go check it to the pharmacy. But I'm thinking maybe I could personally go to his doctor instead so I can ask what happened.

I cleared my throat when I noticed Mingyu was already standing beside me.

"Soojin, are you going to watch until the end of the show tonight?"

I think it's the first time he's ever asked me this question. Why? Is it because he doesn't want me to watch his performance?

"Yes." I told him and he sighed.

It was a sigh not because of a relief but because of something I cannot really figure out.

Now I am more determined to stay here. All the members went out of the waiting area. I took a sear to watch the next performances. Hyelim unnie sat beside me.

"Ya, you have no idea about Jun and Mingyu's special stage, right?" She even asked me. Why is their performance a big deal?

I nodded my head and bit my lower lip. Impatience is killing me.

I need to see this. My phone beeped again but I ignored it.

Baek Ji Yeon went out of the stage with a y black outfit. She's aged but she's still a y singer. I can't imagine myself wearing revealing clothes in public, though. I'm not that confident with my body.

And then, Mingyu appeared on screen. He's singing with the singer I was praising just seconds before. My jaw dropped and my eyes widened especially when he did dance moves with the female singer. I know, Jun is there too but I can't help but to only look at him.

We've just been okay for a few weeks now and then this?

My eyes stayed glued to the screen until the last second of the performance.

Wow.

Just wow.

I can't believe my Mingyu did that.

Wait, no he's not mine. I shouldn't be jealous. Plus, it's part of his job. Him being a performer. He's undeniably one of the most handsome members in the group so I can't question why he was chosen to be there on the stage with Baek Jiyeon.

But I still can't believe my eyes.

Mingyu has grown up so much I can't believe it. He's so hot in the performance and he was with a woman! A woman who was almost the same age as his mother.

I felt a stupid feeling inside my chest that I don't want to identify.

And in the end of the performance, the two even looked at each other as if they're really close.

Is that the reason why he seem so busy? Busy because he's chatting with another woman? I can't imagine what they did during the practice. What other things did they do, huh???

I closed my eyes and shook my head.

I think I'm thinking too much. I shouldn't judge them but I'm thinking too much I can't help it.

If I feel jealous when Mingyu's with a woman, what more if he's with a girl the same age as us? What if it's someone who would call him oppa or someone who is a junior to him? For sure, he'll take care of whoever he will get partnered to and then they eventually might like each other.

What if suddenly Mingyu dates a young and pretty idol?

How would I feel if it is true?

Just imagining the future hurts my heart so much it's depressing.

"Soojin, are you alright?" Hyelim unnie asked me.

Oh goodness, how long did I stay silent?

I tried to smile at her.

"Of course, unnie."

She stared at me longer as if analyzing my facial expressions.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded.

I don't want to talk anymore. I just want to go home and hug my pillow and cry.

My imaginations are killing me. How many women would Mingyu get linked to? Can I handle that? I think I can't.

I want him for my own. Right now, I don't even know whether he still likes me or not.

If he still loves me, then I'd be glad but I'd still be scared to take the risk. I don't want our love story to end up like my parents'. I'm scared.

After the closing when all the artists sang, the group went back to the room.

I can't seem to look at Mingyu's eyes even if I can see that he did nothing but to stare at me ever since they went back here.

I looked at my phone when I received a message. There are two messages from Wonwoo asking me to buy the medicines. Oh no! I forgot about this. I need to go.

I went to Mr. Ahn to tell him I need to go now. He doesn't even know that Wowoo went out today.

I told Mr. Ahn that I need to buy Wonwoo another set of medicines.

"If you're in a hurry, then let Mingyu drive you to the nearest pharmacy or hospital."

WHAT?

I had no choice but to say yes. We're using Mr. Ahn's car.

"Soojin," Mingyu said my name.

I was sitting on the passenger's seat and I never looked at his side. I don't want him to see me like this. I don't want to look so affected by what happened.

"Hmmm?"

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I looked at my peripheral vision and he's still wearing that black outfit. He looks so good, damn it.

"Why would I not be okay?"

"Hyelim noona told me that you did not look fine after watching---"

"What? Are you going to believe her? I did not look fine, yes, because I'm tired, that's it."

He took a deep breath. I even heard it.

"I've known you for so long and I know you don't really get jealous. You never got seriously jealous to anyone even before when we're still together."

I looked at him. His side profile is just so breathtaking, with his brown hair, beautiful eyes, proud nose and his lips...

He shook his head and smiled a bit.

"I should feel okay that you're not the jealous type but right now, all I want you to feel is jealousy so I could still think that maybe, you still have feelings for me."

I am so tired of this chase. It's like a never ending chase ever since I went back here.

I left him. I broke him. But he's still here.

I bit my lower lip before saying the words.

"I think I just did."

He stopped driving and moved the car in the side of the road.

This time, he faced me.

"What do you mean you just did?"

I can feel tears swelling up my eyes.

"I think I got jealous when you sang with her a while back. It was a y performance and you look like you enjoy---"

I wasn't done yet talking when he suddenly hugged me.

When he hugged me, it was like all the walls I built to protect myself from any pain has fell. I cried like a lost child. His hug was so warm and tender.

I pulled away just to tell him about my thoughts.

"This is the very first time you ever hugged me ever since I came back." I hate myself for crying like this.

He kissed my forehead.

"Soojin, please stop crying."

I lightly hit his shoulders.

"Stupid! I can't stop the tears. What should I do?"

He laughed and oh god, how I missed his laugh.

"I missed you so much I want to hug you real hard but you look so fragile that I'm scared to even touch you." He told me, his voice was raspy and deep at the same time.

I wiped my tears.

"You've been harsh to me when I went back." I can't help but to say it. I remembered his stares and simple words that he would say just to annoy me because I feel like he doesn't like me as their new junior manager.

"I don't know how I should act in front of the person that I loved ever since I was in middle school."

I can't contain this pure feeling inside my chest. One moment, I was jealous and then now I feel so happy.

My cheeks blushed and then he held my face with his both hands.

"You're my strength, Soojin. When you were gone, I did not know how to function anymore. I felt like my body and brained were both drained."

These words sound so magical. But I don't think I can handle too many sweet words from him.

"Then you just told me you're jealous. My Soojin felt jealous for the first time. That must mean something, right?" He's looking deeply, intensely and directly into my eyes but I can't do the same. I feel so embarassed all of a sudden.

"Look at me." He pleads.

No, I can't. You're too handsome to look at, Kim Mingyu.

When I was just about to look at him, I felt something touched my trembling lips.

I felt so beautiful and alive.

The kiss was soft and smooth. His lips just landed on mine for about two seconds.

"If you can't say it first, then I will. I love you, Soojin. I'm still the same Mingyu who's madly in love with you."