Soojin

Does He Love Me? Does He Love Me Not?


AFTER that incident in the mall, I did everything I can to avoid going in Pledis at the moment. I just don't want to see Mingyu there and remember the painful words I told him just because I got mad.

This morning, I went to Pledis (so much for my first sentence). I was forced to go there because my brother forgot his phone at home and I had to give it to him. I was so careful and was thankful enough that I wasn't able to personally see Mingyu in the building.

I was hesitating to go to the practice room but then Seungkwan saw me.

"Soojin noona, why didn't you come with Mingyu hyung yesterday? It was so much fun!" His smiling face says it all.

I creased my forehead.

Why is he smiling like this and telling me that yesterday was fun? I remember Seungcheol oppa calling Mingyu's number and reprimanded him about skipping their practice just to be with me.

"But... wasn't Seungcheol mad at him? He skipped your practice, right?"

Seungkwan laughed and held his tummy as if he was in pain because of laughing too hard.

"Of course, not! That was just part of the plan. They actually planned for a surprise for me, Seokmin hyung and Mingyu hyung because we already graduated middle school. They pranked us by Seungcheol calling the three of us in the phone. I myself thought he was mad. But yesterday was a free day for us so I got confused, too. I thought I can relax the whole day. I was nervous to go here but I had to do. And when I opened the door, they were laughing at my face for tricking me."

WAIT, WHAT?!

So that basically means Mingyu wasn't lying at all!

He was actually telling the truth.

My eyes are wide in shock. I can't believe this. I got mad at him and told him painful words yesterday without even hearing his explaination. He isn't a liar at all.

Oh God, now I really don't know how to face him.

I'm so stupid! What should I do?

DAYS later...

"Soojin, I forgot my blue folder in my room. Could you get it for me and bring it here?" Sungjin was calling me on the phone and asking me if I could bring him the thing that he left.

I rolled my eyes and laid on my bed.

"No." I firmly said.

"What? Why not?" He asked on the other line.

I bit my lower lip. What do you mean why not? Mingyu is there! He would see me and I would be so ashamed to look at him in the eyes after accusing him. I can't see him anymore.

"I'm not feeling well." I lied.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm your brother. I know when you're lying and when you're not.

I rolled my eyes.

"Stop pushing this. I am never going back in that building. I'll just stay here at home or at school for as long as I want."

Sungjin didn't even mind my response and just ended the call just like that.

The last time that I saw Mingyu was when Sungjin and I went to eat in a restaurant. I saw him with his family. It was my first time to see his parents. I was so shy to approach them but my brother had to go there and I had to go with him, of course. I don't want to look like a lost puppy in the middle of that resto.

I knew he was looking at me but I just can't look at him like the way I used to before because I didn't believe him.

After that, my brother noticed the way I avoided Mingyu and he started teasing me about it. It has been days since I was just hanging out at home. I haven't stepped a foot inside that building he was training in.

I know Sungjin wanted me to go with him but I always, always reject it.

And now, I am all alone inside my room with no one by my side. I am so emo. I thought of calling Wonwoo and tell him about my problem but I realized I would somehow be a saddist for telling him my problem about another guy knowing he used to like me, too.

I was about to fall asleep when the doorbell rang.

I waited for five more minutes but the ringing just doesn't stop.

I lazily stood up and got off my bed. I headed straight to the door and opened it.

And the person I was least expecting to see is right in front of me.

"M-mingyu," Oh my god, I can't even say his name without stammering.

"Sungjin hyung told me to get the documents he left in his room that's why I'm here." He answered.

Of course, it's for that darn folder! What was I expecting? That I'd hear him say that he was here because he wanted to see me and to talk to me?! Like that'd ever happen.

"Okay, you may just sit first. I'll go get it." I told him before I half-ran to my brother's room and immediately found the blue folder. This must be so important to even let Mingyu get this thing. Or... maybe my brother just wanted to make me feel more embarassed because the person that I have been avoiding for the past week is actually here.

I saw him looking relaxed while here I am looking like the complete opposite of relax. I didn't even bother to comb my hair and to check myself in the mirror to see how I look like.

He stepped outside the door and was about to go out when I called him.

"Mingyu,"

He looked back. Why does he look so peaceful? Like nothing happened in the mall a week ago. Has he moved on already? That fast?

"Uhm..." And here I am, don't know what to tell him.

What should I ask him? Is he okay? He looks totally fine. He looks amazing as usual. Should I congratulate him that he's finally a high school student like me? No way. He might remember the scene in the restaurant, the last time I saw him before this. His sister teased us together and I was blushing the whole time. I can't bear to be teased like that especially in front of his parents!

"Soojin, you're avoiding me again." Mingyu said.

I was taken aback. It wasn't a queston, he's certain about me avoiding him. I guess it's too obvious.

I laughed a little.

"Of course, not. I'm not avoiding anyone. I'm good." I defended.

"Really? Then why are you here all alone? Why haven't you been to Pledis since--"

"I want to rest now! Thank you for getting that folder for my brother. I need to close this door now. Goodbye, Mingyu."

Mingyu was quick to stop the door.

"Don't worry, Soojin. I won't come near you anymore. I won't pursue you like what I told you before. I'm sorry for making you feel pressured with all that I've done. Don't worry, you'll seldom see me in Pledis. I would just go there during the Seventeen TV. I need to focus with my high school level first."

The fact that he's telling this to me so confidently just hurts something inside me.

"I didn't enroll in your high school too so you could completely forget about me. Again, I'm so sorry for the wrong things that I did. I won't do it again, I promise."

What? He didn't enroll in my school? We won't be schoolmates?

Is that his way of avoiding me?

It's no longer me that's avoiding him. We are avoiding each other now.

I breathed harder and deeper. I felt proud breathing nicely even if I feel so much emotions all at the same time.

"Well, good for you then. It's time for you to go. Goodbye." I faced him and told him before shutting the door close.

I laid on my bed and hugged my pillow.

He's starting to avoid me and then he'll ignore me soon, I can already forsee it. I'll try to make conversations but he will always ignore.

I wonder what happened to him. I thought his feelings for me will grow strong but because of what happened, I don't think so now.

I cleared my throat and wiped my runny nose.

Wait, why am I being emotional now?

So what if he'd ignore me? That wouldn't affect me, right? That shouldn't affect me.

I shouldn't be hurt like this. I'm stronger than this.

I kept motivating myself but I ended up hugging my pillow tighter and crying on it.

"Babo, Soojin!" I shouted.

Realization hit me.

The reason why I am so affected with the way Mingyu acted towards me was because I have feelings for him, too! I've grown to like her as the man I look up to. A hard working and dedicated and smart guy.

But he just said, before he left, that he'll try his best not to see me when we're both in Pledis.

It hurt me because I wanted him to tell me that we can go back to the way we used to be. That we can be our comfortable selves.

Now what should I do to keep his feelings for me grow?

How should I stop him from liking other girls?

And the bigger questions is... how would I get the old Mingyu back? The Mingyu that I used to love.

(to be continued...)