Soojin

Does He Love Me? Does He Love Me Not?

I woke up early in the morning today. It's the Dream Concert day. I headed to the Pledis building and met with the staff. We divided the tasks for assisting the members later for the show.

Dream Concert will be held in Seoul World Cup Stadium and I've actually never been there before. I was assigned to be in the team for Jeonghan, Mingyu and Jun. Although they're not the main hosts, they'll also be MC-ing.

Seventeen has been practicing non-stop and I've also heard they'll be performing a surprise cover dance. I wasn't able to check on them for the past days because I was attending to Wonwoo during his stay in the hospital. He's at their dorm now but the doctors will regularly check on his condition. One of these days, I'm planning to personally go to their dorm and visit him there.

"Soojin, please help me bring these." One staff unnie asked me. She was carrying one box of bottled juice and a lunchboxes. I went to her and carried those lunchboxes. It's a lot.

"These are from the fans."

I nodded my head. I am touched with the care the fans have been giving the members.

We entered the practice room and the members are having a final practice.

"Woah, egg rolls." I smiled at Seungkwan's expressions.

There are names and letters attached on the lunchboxes and the members read it one by one. I can't stop myself from admiring these dorks. They're so passionate not just with being idols but also with being appreciative towards their fans.

"Unnie, do you check these foods first before handing it to them?" I asked. I just want to know how they just freely hand these foods to the members.

"Well, yes. We need to have everything checked because we can't guarantee the safety of the foods for the members. Some might just be pretending as their fans but are actually not. I have read some news about that before so we have to be careful for Seventeen."

I saw Jisoo holding an album. It was their album but the other side was covered with Wonwoo's face.

"Wow, that's so cute!" I told him.

"Yeah, we'll use this for the Yeppeuda performance later. I'll be the one to hold it first so I'm practicing now."

Seventeen is known for being good at improvising things so I'm not that surprised to know that they'll use this for their performance later. Maybe it's a nice way to show Wonwoo that they miss him.

THE stadium was packed with the audience already when we arrived. I saw the part of the stadium where Seventeen's fans should be seated and the seats are all occupied! I've said this before and I'll say it again - it's amazing how these fans get to spend most of their time for their idols because I've never been a super fan of an idol or any celebrity for that matter.

I was assigned to talk to the floor director so I was out in the stage monitoring how the set up of the performance will be.

It was quite hot during the noon.

The members rehearsed early in the afternoon. They're still wearing casual outfits but after this, they have to wear the outfits for today.

After the members rehearsed, I saw Mingyu approaching me. I swear I felt my heart thumped faster than its normal beat.

"Soojin, you haven't had your lunch yet." We are out in the middle of the stadium with all the fans seeing us.

I moved one step back to distance myself because I felt like he was close to me. I don't know if it's because I was conscious for the fans reactions or I just don't want to be so close to him.

"I'll eat later, don't worry." I assured him.

He looked at me in the eyes. I swear I fell like something has changed. He doesn't act rude or bad around me anymore. He became gentle. I feel like he's the Mingyu I used to know before. The tall but cute and caring Mingyu. But I don't know, maybe he's just acting like this because he realized that I'm one of the staff of their group and he's just being professional.

"Everything's set. You don't need to stay here longer. There's three more hours before the show starts."

I don't feel any irritation even when he's this persistent.

I looked at my wrist watch.

"My brother is actually coming today so I'm waiting for him." I told him.

"Oh, Sungjin hyung is coming to watch?"

I shook my head.

"No, Jaejin, my younger brother." I checked his expressions if he might be surprised or anything but he isn't that surprised. I know he still doesn't know anything about Jaejin and how he became my younger brother but I'm just glad he doesn't ask me anything about it because I don't think I'll be willing to open up about it. I'm not ashamed to be Jaejin's noona. It's just that, I know that when I start telling him what happened back then, he'll start throwing questions at me I don't think I'm ready to answer. Like where are my parents now? Or who is Jaejin's mother? I don't know where Jaejin's mother is but I really don't care at all. What's important is my brother is in our side now and he's never going to part from us.

"Oh, I see. How old is he by the way?" Mingyu asked me.

I glanced at the side of the Carats to see if there's something about their reactions I think they're busy filming the other members.

"He's fifteen."

Right after I said that, my phone rang and I saw my brother's name on the screen.

"Noona, we're already here." I can sense the excitement in his voice.

I can't help but to smile. I love making my brother happy. I know he had an ill feeling towards me when I didnt' want to introduce him as my brother when we were in the Show Champion studio. I've hurt him. I realized now that I should not be ashamed of anything. I want him to see that I am proud to be his noona.

"Okay, just tell me where exactly you are so I can go there."

I thought of inviting him here in Dream Concert together with two of his friends because he deserves this. I've been preventing him from dreaming of becoming an idol but just recently, Sungjin oppa talked to me and told me that I shouldn't stop Jaejin from aspiring. Instead, I should support him with anything he wants as long as it doesn't harm others.

The staff has called all the members to wear their outfits and I sighed in relief. I can't cope with Mingyu's behavior right now because I'm busy taking care and watching over Jaejin. He is with one girl and a guy.

"Noona, Seventeen's great even during a rehearsal!" Jaejin said with glee.

He's becoming an avid fan of Seventeen ever since the Show Champion incident. He used to like other groups before. But when I wake up in the morning, I can hear from his room the songs of Seventeen playing.

"Anyway, this is Miyeon and Seungyeol." I smiled at his friends. The girl was holding a camera and a Mingyu sign on her tablet. The other guy was cooly holding another group's lightstick.

"Soojin unnie, can we go see Seventeen?" Miyeon excitedly asked me.

I paused. I don't know if it's prohibited or not but I'm their junior manager so I can manage to bring them to the members.

"Ya, don't ask that to Soojin noona. She's busy working. We'll just wait for their turn later." Jaejin told his classmate.

I've been a manager for Seventeen for a almost a month now but I still haven't get my brother to meet his idol group. I guess now is a great opportunity.

"Alright, let's go to the backstage then."

All three of them, even the other guy who adores another group, got excited when I told them we'll go to the backstage.

I hope it's really okay. I have to see first the condition inside their waiting room. If they're super busy, then I'll have to make them wait until the members are not that busy anymore.

I opened the door to the waiting room. I saw the members rehearsing and vocalizing. I saw Mingyu sitting on one corner with his earphones plugged. Maybe I'll just sneak him out here since the girl Jaejin's with is a fan of Mingyu.

"Mingyu," I called him. I want to remove those earphones but I don't want to act too comfortable to do that.

He looked at me.

"Yes?" I must say the stylists have done good with his looks. He's handsome with his hair styled like this but nothing beats the bare faced Mingyu I know. I like him that way. I remember when I used to touch his cheek just to play along with him when we were still together.

"Soojin?" I heard him again. Oh no. I was spacing out because I remembered our memories together. What the heck.

I cleared my throat.

"Are you uh, busy?"

I think this is the first time I have to ask favor from him ever since I went back.

"Not really. Do you need anything? Ah, have you eaten anything yet? I didn't eat the lunch I received from the fans because I was thinking you might want to eat those instead. Are you hungry?"

What? I don't and won't eat anything that's not made for me.

"No. It's about my brother, Jaejin. He likes Seventeen so much and he wants to meet the members but I don't think it's the best time to entertain my brother. So I just want to ask you if you could meet them instead?"

He didn't even bother to think about it. He just stood up and asked me where my brother is.

"I'm glad your younger brother likes Seventeen. It wouldn't be that hard for me to get his support." Mingyu was saying when we were walking in the hallway. Huh? For what reason would he get my brother's approval?

"Omo! Mingyu oppa!" Jaejin's classmate was like hyperventilating. I shushed her to prevent the other people from staring at us. They don't allow non-staff to go here by the way.

"Annyeong hashimnikka." Mingyu greeted them politely.

"Mingyu, this is my brother, Jaejin and these are his friends, Miyeon and Seungyeol."

Miyeon was already blushing. I remembered three years ago how I blushed like that too whenever Mingyu is around.

"I really like your group. Mingyu-sshi, it's so nice to meet you." Jaejin told Mingyu.

I smiled at the sight. When my brother's happy, I'm happy.

"Just call me hyung." Mingyu told him.

Wow, they're close already, huh?

"Actually, you're my second favorite member next to Wonwoo-sshi."

I noticed Mingyu paused for a while before glancing to me.

"Well, it's okay. Even if you like Wonwoo first, I can make ways for you to like me more than him."

I pouted. Why do I feel like he's talking to me instead of Jaejin?

"Right, let's go back then." I asked Mingyu because they might be looking for him in the room.

Sadly, we can't take pictures because it's a strict policy of Pledis. But Miyeon got an autograph from him.

"Thank you so much, Mingyu oppa! You're so handsome and so tall! I love you!"

Mingyu giggled, that same giggle I love hearing from him even before I loved him. Wait, what am I saying? Ugh.

"I love you, too! Thank you for supoorting us!"

He turned to Jaejin.

"Let's meet some other time, okay?"

Jaejin's eyes widened in excitement.

"Really? When?"

Mingyu glanced at me.

"Depends on your sister right here. But don't worry, this won't be the last time we'll meet."

"Alright, let's go back now, Mingyu." I reminded him again.

I told Jaejin and his friends to go back to their seats in the stadium.

When Mingyu and I are walking back to the waiting room, he suddenly put his hand on my shoulder - it was like a friendly, awkward tap on the shoulder.

"Uh, Soojin, did you feel anything when I was talking to that girl Miyeon?"

My eyebrow raised.

"Yeah," I answered him.

His expressions lit up.

"Really?"

"Yes. I felt glad when I saw her finally meet you. It feels so good to make someone meet her idol and see the fulfillment in her eyes."

Mingyu tapped me again.

"No, no, like did you feel something bad when you saw me talking to another girl?"

I don't get why he is suddenly asking me this but I don't like where this is leading to.

"No. I did not feel bad at all, Mingyu. Why are you asking me these questions so suddenly?"

He shook his head.

"Oh, okay."

WHEN the show has finally started, I stayed in the middle area of the stage where I can easily go to the members/MCs.

The director gave a thumbs up for them to start talking what's written on the script.

Honestly, I dont' see Mingyu as an MC but he's doing great with what they assigned him to do so it's fine. Jeonghan and Jun are good, too. I just hope Seungkwan, who is the best in MC-ing will get to show his MC skills as the host of a music program soon.

Anyways, when the first gap is done and the three went down the stage, Jun approached me.

"Soojin, can you help me with reading this?" He asked.

"Sure!"

We sat on one corner and I read his lines. He repeated is lines twice and I gave a thumbs up for his pronunciation.

"You'll do good, don't worry." I assured him. He looked nervous.

"It's my first time to host live in a huge crowd. I don't want to make mistakes."

I pat his shoulder.

"Mingyu and Jeonghan's there to guide you if ever you make a mistake but I know you won't."

"Thank you, Soojin."

"Hyung, what is that?" Mingyu asked as he sat in between us. Jun and I weren't sitting too closely and there was a space between us and that's where Mingyu occupied his seat. This guy is weird, really.

"Ah, Soojin helped me with my korean. I want to speak it fluently." Jun answered him.

"Ah Jun hyung, next time, don't hesitate to ask me because I'll gladly help you. Let's not disturb Soojin because she's quite busy and---"

"Huh? I'm not that busy, Mingyu." I told him. I was busy during the pre-production but now that the show has started, I get to watch the whole scene from where I was assigned to.

Jun laughed as he looked at the both of us.

"You two are cute."

I just rolled my eyes. I don't want to be teased like this. I'm so done with this three years ago.

Whatever Mingyu is trying to do, I hope he knows the boundaries. That there's a space between an idol and a staff. I'm doing this for any personal or romantic gain. I need this job and I want to perform professionally.

EVENING came and we all went back to the backstage. The members are dressed in matching white and red outfits and caps. They're going to cover a classic pop song which I am not familiar with.

The stylists are fixing their hair while I was sitting in one corner. The MC-ing of the three members was done so I can stay here now.

Mingyu approached me with a lunchbox on his hand.

I looked at the other members and the staff and I know they are secretly watching us two.

I honestly don't know what's up with Mingyu today. He's been so... clingy to me.

"Soojin, you must be hungry. Please eat this." And he's so caring and sweet, I hate it so much. It makes me remember the memories I had with him before. And his clothes look so good on him. His skin color makes him stand out and I think color red suits him the best.

"No, Mingyu. I'm fine." I said seriously. I want him to stop doing this to me. I don't want my feelings to be bothered anymore. I'm fine being alone, I guess.

But right before I said it, my hungry tummy growled. It wasn't loud but Mingyu sure did hear it. He smirked and put it on the side table.

"Don't skip your meals, next time. I'll cook for you if I have to."

"Why are you doing this to me?" I can't help but ask.

He's been so caring to me now. The serious and snobby Mingyu I've encountered ever since I went back has changed. What is happening?

"Soojin, I just want you to eat."

I took a deep breath.

"Fine, I'll eat this." I just said so he'd stop bothering me.

Mingyu's so persistent I hate it.